New tropes

Simo

A lazy sloth
The reincarnation/ Transmigration/ System tropes, has dominated the webnovel market for the past years. What are some of the newer tropes that don’t get talked about as often, and what tropes do you predict will do well in the coming years?

SailusGebel

I'm guessing here and don't have any examples. Maybe cybersport without virtual reality?

vzymmer

I'm gonna throw a bone and just say my piece.

Different ways of different things.

Like different but fun ways to die via truck-kun that lets you reincarnate to specific worlds.

Normal way to die by truck-kun sends you to a normal fantasy wishfullfilment journey but if you die by jumping in front of truck-kun you get sent to sci-fi fantasy.

(The idea above is free to be used by any interested author that wants to write a story with that premise.)

Twin

All the tropes you mentioned are basically for action webnovel mostly. Immersive-VR (This doesn't fall under System troupe cause the story can also be artifact/item based) should also be one of the tropes of this category.
I'm gonna throw a bone and just say my piece.

Different ways of different things.

Like different but fun ways to die via truck-kun that lets you reincarnate to specific worlds.

Normal way to die by truck-kun sends you to a normal fantasy wishfullfilment journey but if you die by jumping in front of truck-kun you get sent to sci-fi fantasy.

(The idea above is free to be used by any interested author that wants to write a story with that premise.)
What is MC dies from shock after coming to hair breath with a truck. Does he not reincarnate cause there was no contact with truck kun?

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Since these stories aren't very original, it makes sense they didn't invent any new tropes that didn't exist in the world of fiction already.

At least not during the past few years.

LostLibrarian

One trope that is doing better and better in JP and might come over is the: "I'm reincarnated but the world is at peace"-trope. Followed by the usual "I'm summoned but I'm not the hero/villain" which already has gotten a lot of traction. Before that, we got the whole "OP but only because it's X really good".
Based on those, I would expect more tropes that subvert the current tropes without destroying the overall story. Or settings (sci-fi, historical, etc) that subvert the usual "tolkien-esque" fantasy of isekai.

Another rather easy thing to predict are changing game genres for isekai. We mostly have (MMO)RPGs, but there'll be that "first big" strategy/shooter/etc story that'll create a rush of those tropes. Shooter is already kinda happening, but managing/strategy might become the new "low-level kingdom building". The new version of the dungeon systems.

Another interesting thing to look out for would be stuff that borrows from classic thrillers. In traditional publishing, the success of that genre is tied to the unrest and growing uncertainty in the real world. In that regard, I could see tropes that borrow from that more traditional stories and use arcs or themes from those. Given that a lot of entry-level writers train with webnovels, I don't see a full switch to thriller/crime, but I could see tropes that also discuss uncertainty.

Or - to "battle" the real life - we could also see more "perfect 'little personal space'/family in a hostile world". The really grim and dark world but the main character actually doesn't do anything and just lives their live. Kinda in that same anti-direction are also the "I'm the villain that does good things in a bad world" settings that pop up more lately. The "resistance"-setting without the "Hunger Games stink".

Another thing we'll probably see more of are "systems without reincarnation", where the system is part of the society. Something that takes the "gene"-formula and mixes it with the "LitRPG"-formula. I think we already saw the start of that with all the "I cultivated in a game and now I'm super strong in the real world". Already popular and they might become dominant with some changes to make them less "magical/unlogical".

Since these stories aren't very original, it makes sense they didn't invent any new tropes that didn't exist in the world of fiction already.
That's true. It's probably more a question of "What old tropes weren't popular over the last 10-20 years and will come back with a new coat of paint?"

Will we see the next era of the "single boy in an all-girls X"? :blob_hide:

Ninini

GAY EVERYWHERE.

(Where thee is no straight people and everyone is gay. Their character is gay no personality but gay)

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
For tropes coming from the western oarts of the community I'm guessing more transgender-coming-out and lgbtq themes in general.

From japan there's the whole "slow life fantasy" gernre that's going strong right now. I'm personally hoping for a kingdom building boom, tho.

Korea and China seem to go strong with their seemingly eternal tropes from what I have noticed.

Simo

A lazy sloth
For tropes coming from the western oarts of the community I'm guessing more transgender-coming-out and lgbtq themes in general.

From japan there's the whole "slow life fantasy" gernre that's going strong right now. I'm personally hoping for a kingdom building boom, tho.

Korea and China seem to go strong with their seemingly eternal tropes from what I have noticed.
Korea with the endless ‘hunter’ and ‘gates/ towers’ China, well, its china.
I do wish for more kingdom building as well! Only god knows we need more. Maybe some more non-humanoid leads would be nice as well.

RockiesRetriever

GAY EVERYWHERE.

(Where thee is no straight people and everyone is gay. Their character is gay no personality but gay)
Lol I'm sure that in the whole online novel space there's gotta be plenty of straight fiction.

J_Chemist

Out here waiting for a novel where the bad guy wins.

Heros/Good guys winning is boring. I want to see a world burn.