Writing Prompt Night Owls, what do they do in ancient times?

tak

I can't sleep & play some games, ate some snack, read some novels & somehow got reminded that this is nearly impossible in ancient times. No light source beside candles & they usually save up the candles. Can't read without light. No internet.

So, in ancient times, what do night owl...do?

MrTiemos

DinoSir, thank you very much!
While I may not have accurate information, but I can only guess that in ancient times Night Owls would be people with one of three objectives:
1-Visiting a brothel
2-Doing a shady job
3-Meeting with a secret lover/lovers

Maybe, just maybe, there’s a few who were trying to capture those who would use the night as cover for covert operations (objective 2).

Owl

Nervous writer
Most common people would hardly have a choice. If you work all day, hard, then youre gonna be tired no matter your biorhythm. The richer ones.....
Brothel/lover +1, i guess :P

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
  1. sex in brothels
  2. sex with others
  3. crime
  4. Star gazing and other astronomy activities
  5. Ghost hunting (Hamlet)

Nihilaine

Either have snu snu time with someone or go drunk under the moonlight, I guess?

Scribbler

I don't know about anyone else, but If I were in ancient times, without organized government and surveillance and all those other troublesome things of the modern age, I would basically kill anyone that so much as looked at me the wrong way and organize a crime gang or cult (whichever is more convenient) and rule with an iron fist or behind the shadows (again, whichever is more convenient at the time).

Ninetailed_Furball

From what I've read, night owls were the night sentries of the prehistoric times.

Due to how they (or we, as I'm one of them) naturally prefer staying up late at night and sleeping in the morning, they were the ones who tended the fires at night and watched out for dangers before humans had walls around their settlements.

In turn, the elderly who naturally fell asleep early and woke up late were the ones who relieved the night owls of their night shift once early morning came.

There's been a bunch of research into this and from what I've read, this is the most plausible theory, especially since Humans are genetically predisposed to this sort of behaviour.

Either that, or we were the ones who went stabby stabby to those guys who had the big idea of doing bad things when it was dark and hard to see.

Llamadragon

This is a recreation of the tunic of Lendbreen. It was found in Norway and the original is 1,700 years old and made from sheeps wool. The archeology team who worked with it wanted to get an idea of just how long it would take to make it, so they hired a team of professional textile makers to work with the old methods, using the wool from norweigan landrace breeds.

You want to know how long it took? Hold onto your butts. From the shearing of the sheep to the completition of the tunic, took seven. Hundred. And. Sixty. Hours. Yes, 760 hours. To give you an idea of how much time that is, that's over 5,000 american dollars in hourly salary alone, by minimum wage! That's 85 8-hour work days. Sure, perhaps the ancient people who made the original were faster, because they were raised in that kind of environment, but the modern craftsmen were still professionals you know? They weren't SLOW.

So don't worry about occupying your time as an ancient person. There's always something that needs to be done that can be done in low light. Sorting and cleaning wool can be done in firelight, and so can felting, knitting and spinning thread. Weaving too, if the weaver is experienced. Then there's all the other stuff. Just a few days ago I decided I wanted to ferment some fireweed tea. After the fireweed had dried for a day it needs to be rolled and crushed to ferment, and that alone took me half a night. That's just ONE kind of tea for MY personal consumption. Someone who wants to make and sell it for income would spend more time doing it, and in ancient times they would use strings they made themselves to tie it up to dry, and then store it to ferment in containers they also made themselves, and then once it's finished and baked it would be stored in yet another set of containers that they... you get the hint.

Every step of living would contain this element. Want to make candles? Sure! If you're one single person, you should be prepared to spend at least a few days to make your yearly supply of them, and that's only after you got the materials (which are expensive by the way). Want a dry place to store your firewood? Ok, but you need to build a shed for it first. Want shoes? Time to kill an animal, tan its hide, make thread out of its sinews and prepare to wear those shoes out in a few months anyways :D

Lol. I ain't saying this necessarily needs to be a stressful lifestyle, I'm saying they incorporated work into their relaxation time. I had a teacher once who was always knitting socks. Even during class. She didn't need any more socks and would unravel them once they were finished. It's just that she relaxed by creating.
Video games, novels, surfing the internet... even the mindset I have to enjoy that kind of activity would be completely foreign to an ancient.

Last edited:
Reactions: tak