Non-exclusive sign A&D Entertainment And Webnovel, here we go again.

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Today's story is one known to everyone on the page, but whether to join us to laugh or cry for a while.

Today, a certain Emma from AnD Entertainment sent me an email trying to contact me for a non-exclusive sign for the Webnovel platform and all its associates.

Then comes a long message (pre-formulated, only changing the name of the novel and the author, nothing indicates they have even read the story), full of filler about how big they are and how JK Rowling and her mother signed with them, wanting to offer me a contract where, and I quote, "---We do not own your copyright ---"

Where they will not retain copyright, where I could continue selling "prints, drawings, merchandise." Only the rights to digital distribution (apparently in perpetuity)

Where they offer me a lot of benefits, such as:

Feature Priority: official partnership with Dreame and Webnovel.

Maybe Comics Adaptation

Your copyright still belongs to you:
This is a huge deal, we only have rights over your digital distribution. We do not own your book. Which means, you are free to sell merchandise, print books, and keep 100% of the income. (notice that everything they refer to are physical things)

Amazon KDP: When your book reaches a certain level of readers, we can talk about publishing your book in Amazon.

50-50 revenue share: Get 50-50% profit share. Paid monthly from the revenues accumulated from our partner platforms. (which, from what I researched online, are gross revenues, after subtracting unspecified marketing costs)

My current story "Valkyra Squaron" has been a really long project, 263 chapters, 700 thousand words written, 3 years writing every week, not many readers, only 330 thousand visits, although I know the 5 lost ones who always show up when I release a new chapter and I thank them for their support, plus a stalker who spends time checking what I post in forums to look for clues or theories about where the story is heading.As you can see there is an established story with history behind it and a lot of work. As an author with no support, I have had to do a lot of things "on foot" and the long way round.

Both the illustrations and the covers have been made by me in my free time.

I have already published on almost all possible platforms, the only one I left out was Webnovel. even publishing on Japanese websites by myself managing the translation too.

Currently in the process of freelancing as a writer for a small content company.

I have tried to make my novel popular by all possible means, even making video trailers of my novel and publishing them on all possible platforms, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram (another different thing is for them to pay attention to me), and once collaborated with others to try to create an audiobook of my novel (although it did not reach long-term projects, only tests). The only thing I have not released is an anime and a manga.

And I have also already self-published on Amazon KDP, as it turns out it's free. I myself took care of editing and compiling the chapters into books, organizing the content of each one, creating the covers and store information by hand as well, and even promotions by giving the books away for free for readers (and even then people don't want to read it).

All of that using only a pseudonym and no personal information behind it, others have already contacted me for various projects, relying solely on my written work

I find it a bit offensive that after doing all the heavy lifting, someone comes along and says it's 50%-50%, when all they have to do is put their name on it and take the digital publishing rights, which basically means everything in this day and age.

Besides, I find it quite odd (not really), considering it's Webnovel and its base in China, that they're trying to contact me just now after releasing the first chapter of a new arc, which interestingly happens in China and talks about a futuristic city being monitored 24/7 like in Mirror's Edge.

Last edited:

Zinless

How do I
Besides, I find it quite odd (not really), considering it's Webnovel and its base in China, that they're trying to contact me just now after releasing the first chapter of a new arc, which interestingly happens in China and talks about a futuristic city being monitored 24/7 like in Mirror's Edge.
They never really read your novel, they only read your stats. They only care about the money and the potential consumers who might get snagged using your novel. Don't be fooled into believing they see your potential and want it to grow. The only potential they see in you is how you can make money for them.

Signed by:
Someone who has never been contacted or worked with A&D/Webnovel before.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
and 50/50 i'll bet somewhere buried in legalese in the contract (which would probably end up big and wordy) would be some clause or loophole which would still give them some means to seize the copyright altogether.
i wouldnt put it past webnovel if, indeed, something like that did happen to anyone who signed with them

melchi

What is a custom title?
Considering they are in another country I don't think they'd pull it down even if you'd want to pull it and filed something in court.

Did they not even check if it was on kindle already? There really isn't anything they are offering you that you don't already have.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Considering they are in another country I don't think they'd pull it down even if you'd want to pull it and filed something in court.

Did they not even check if it was on kindle already? There really isn't anything they are offering you that you don't already have.
Webnovel is based in shanghai. The Chinese wipe their ass with any cease in desist that comes from the US. You’d have to sue webnovel in the United States or another country, which will only add time to a costly legal process. The best option is never get involved with them in the first place

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
I can't wait for my letter. I plan on hiring a contract lawyer to draw up my own to reply with. obviously giving me all the benefits, none of the losses (including my digital copyright), and only leaving them a truly fair percent. I'll send that in and see what they send back. see if they sign it as an auto response, or if they reject it.

D

Deleted member 133647

They never really read your novel, they only read your stats. They only care about the money and the potential consumers who might get snagged using your novel. Don't be fooled into believing they see your potential and want it to grow. The only potential they see in you is how you can make money for them.

Signed by:
Someone who has never been contacted or worked with A&D/Webnovel before.
but what i never make money from my novel ANYWAY.