Nothing new

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I brought myself to reread only two of my stories. One ended so, that I simply thought it needed a better ending, so I wrote it one 2 years after. The second left me feeling giddy. Maybe one day I will read something else of mine, but not today.

I'd rather spend time reading other people's works. Currently, I am reading Terry Pratchett's stuff. He has an easy humor which I find charming.

Perhaps his books will make you laugh too?
Eh... it's a matter of pride. I avoid reading other stuff so I don't steal any ideas.

Temple

Probably just the product of people copying what's popular and so on, with the community getting saturated with it and covering the new stuff. This isn't isolated to web novels. Hollywood keeps making reboots or sequels or prequels of what's popular. Saw franchise has 10 movies.

In my country, cheap coffee shops are the craze. One shop opened advertising cheapest coffee at 39 pesos. The name was something with 39, I can't recall exactly. Then another shop opens with 38 pesos coffee. Then another with 37. No joking, in one small town, there were shops named 39, 38, and 37 near each other, all selling coffee. Plus other coffee shops too. I look around and think there's nothing new. People just want to be safe with their investments (including investment of time to write).

So_Indecisive

Primordial sin of Sloth
Also, of stagnation. Because it keeps repeating the same ideas, less innovation comes forth, meaning there are few chances of finding creative content in there. It now works in longer cycles, with new things taking much longer to show up.
Honestly I've seen this the most in Chinese novels. I find an amazing book and when I'm done, I check and see there are 15 others with the same premise and events occurring just different names.

For example LOTM was very popular one of the top webnovels for sure (PS it's been five years and i still haven't read it to completion 😭😭). And so I look and see substandard copies of that novel on MTL and the execution is usually just really bad

prognastat

Honestly I've seen this the most in Chinese novels. I find an amazing book and when I'm done, I check and see there are 15 others with the same premise and events occurring just different names.

For example LOTM was very popular one of the top webnovels for sure (PS it's been five years and i still haven't read it to completion 😭😭). And so I look and see substandard copies of that novel on MTL and the execution is usually just really bad
They definitely seem more comfortable copying more of a work than most seem on the english focused web novel sites. Either that or moderators on the English ones are more serious about removing such content.

melchi

What is a custom title?
One of my favourite pasttimes as a reader is to scroll latest updates for interesting stories.
Some 5-6 years ago when I just discovered web novel community (it was on royal road, I believe), I could scroll by and find some very fun amateur novels that would rarely go beyond thirty chapters before hitting hiatus, but be a joy to read.
I have been doing the casual scrolling less and less frequently though, mostly because nowadays when I scroll I see very same-y anime-styled covers that blend together and I can't really focus on any of them because my brain filters them out on autopilot.
You can look at Andur's covers and then at latest updates to understand what I mean.
Does anyone else feel the same?
Such judging books by their covers. To be fair though, I think anime covers work good for webnovels, detailed illustrations are hard to see when turned into a thumbnail.

Sylver

So you're saying part of the difficulties I have with attracting new readers is because my cover could be perceived as bland, generic, or just blend together with the rest?

But it's cute! But... sigh, I guess it needs a change.

Add that to the list of possible solutions I suppose :blob_pat_sad: I mainly judge content by their synopsis, the cover art helps too. But if the majority speaks, then the majority rules.

Notadate

A.i equal I won’t click on you. Weird scribbles = will
Rate these three on eye catching
-
just hard to find bangers

Attachments

• BB663FB9-6A97-47CA-8E2A-4D1CB0B5648A.jpeg
    BB663FB9-6A97-47CA-8E2A-4D1CB0B5648A.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 4A723EAC-49F6-4E89-A59A-EE71CBB5C028.jpeg
    4A723EAC-49F6-4E89-A59A-EE71CBB5C028.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 8