Nothing new

TotallyHuman

One of my favourite pasttimes as a reader is to scroll latest updates for interesting stories.
Some 5-6 years ago when I just discovered web novel community (it was on royal road, I believe), I could scroll by and find some very fun amateur novels that would rarely go beyond thirty chapters before hitting hiatus, but be a joy to read.
I have been doing the casual scrolling less and less frequently though, mostly because nowadays when I scroll I see very same-y anime-styled covers that blend together and I can't really focus on any of them because my brain filters them out on autopilot.
You can look at Andur's covers and then at latest updates to understand what I mean.
Does anyone else feel the same?

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
dunno if it's the covers but I definitely feel like there's nothing to read and what I want to read I'm waiting for it to update.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Andur... that is a name I thought to have long forgotten.

Are the couple still fucking? Is the male MC still addicted to chocolate?

Hard_Persimmon

Definitely. I remember 7 years ago just by scrolling the first couple of pages on novel updates, I'd be able to find a few good reads but now....

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
One of my favourite pasttimes as a reader is to scroll latest updates for interesting stories.
Some 5-6 years ago when I just discovered web novel community (it was on royal road, I believe), I could scroll by and find some very fun amateur novels that would rarely go beyond thirty chapters before hitting hiatus, but be a joy to read.
I have been doing the casual scrolling less and less frequently though, mostly because nowadays when I scroll I see very same-y anime-styled covers that blend together and I can't really focus on any of them because my brain filters them out on autopilot.
You can look at Andur's covers and then at latest updates to understand what I mean.
Nope.

I re-read my own stuff over and over, each time checking for more errors or minor tweaks I can fix. I don't waste time reading other people's stories.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Just because it isn't new doesn't mean it is bad. Besides, as a reader reads more less and less will seem new.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Sturgeon's Law or whatchamacallit.

90% of everything is perceived as squid, so the 10% that doesn't smell fishy will be perceived as goldfish. If you read that 10%, then you gotta eat fish sticks for a while until you seafood again.

Sorry, just had fish today xD

Enkiari

I am not sure what you meant by this. For one, I don't think Andur posts on SH. He also doesn't just drop stories. His stories are also not short. He also doesn't use Anime covers.
So, no, I do not understand what you mean.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I am not sure what you meant by this. For one, I don't think Andur posts on SH. He also doesn't just drop stories. His stories are also not short. He also doesn't use Anime covers.
So, no, I do not understand what you mean.
???

For the record, this is just me talking in this thread, I have not walked out and into Royalroad at all.

This is what I thought from TenderHuman's OG post, Andur had finally followed the weebs and posted his latest work with anime waifu art in RRL.

Although after some rereading, I don't think the anime or short works are referring to Andur over here. I think OP just threw Andur in as a GOOD EXAMPLE compared to the amateur folks in ScribbleHub, who mainlines smut and anime waifus.

Enkiari

This is what I thought from TenderHuman's OG post, Andur had finally followed the weebs and posted his latest work with anime waifu art in RRL.
Which he hasn't? Or maybe I am missing something. At least I don't see such a story on Andur's profile. I haven't read his works for a couple of years, so maybe he is posting elsewhere now.
And it is still not making sense. I would not describe Andur's works as 'fun amateur novels that would rarely go beyond thirty chapters before hitting hiatus, but be a joy to read.'
I guess there might be an emphasis on 'rarely', but I still think it is strange OP name dropped Andur here as an example. It didn't make anything clear.
Edit: Andur's works are rather lengthy and most are in the same universe. They don't fit OP's description of what they are longing for.

TotallyHuman

Which he hasn't? Or maybe I am missing something. At least I don't see such a story on Andur's profile. I haven't read his works for a couple of years, so maybe he is posting elsewhere now.
And it is still not making sense. I would not describe Andur's works as 'fun amateur novels that would rarely go beyond thirty chapters before hitting hiatus, but be a joy to read.'
I guess there might be an emphasis on 'rarely', but I still think it is strange OP name dropped Andur here as an example. It didn't make anything clear.
Edit: Andur's works are rather lengthy and most are in the same universe. They don't fit OP's description of what they are longing for.
I was talking about the kinds of covers. I wanted to give an example of a good story that didn't go beyond 30 ch's yada yada but I felt too lazy to search for the names and couldn't off top of my head. So I said "look Andur for examples".

Enkiari

I was talking about the kinds of covers. I wanted to give an example of a good story that didn't go beyond 30 ch's yada yada but I felt too lazy to search for the names and couldn't off top of my head. So I said "look Andur for examples".
Ah! That makes sense. Yeah. Andur's covers are neat. I prefer them over AI-generated Anime pictures.
I don't think RR has gotten that bad yet.
But SH definitely favours such covers. Not that I blame writers for that. I feel like SH userbase largely enjoys those.

J_Chemist

Yes. I haven't seen an eye catching novel in...

...fuck, a long time.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
I haven't read anything interesting in a whole long while (years). Which has made me stop searching for pretty much anything lately (and instead made me want to write…)

There is a problem, the more you read, the more you see things for what they are; therefore, it should be expected that you will find less and less good content with time. You have been exposed to a lot of stuff, and that feeling of freshness has waned off, and now you desire for real quality instead of simply new stuff. Everything looks the same after a while, because in the end, everything indeed is very similar, and very few things have creative takes in them, even more so the days we live through. It is, after all, so very easy for anyone to create and publish anything.

doravg

105/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Nope.

I re-read my own stuff over and over, each time checking for more errors or minor tweaks I can fix. I don't waste time reading other people's stories.
I brought myself to reread only two of my stories. One ended so, that I simply thought it needed a better ending, so I wrote it one 2 years after. The second left me feeling giddy. Maybe one day I will read something else of mine, but not today.

I'd rather spend time reading other people's works. Currently, I am reading Terry Pratchett's stuff. He has an easy humor which I find charming.

Perhaps his books will make you laugh too?

prognastat

It's the sign of a mature market(not mature as in content lol)

Same reason all smartphones these days seem to look and behave the same way and new versions barely change when 10 years ago there was a much greater variety in form and function.

The market has discovered what works and is targeting it hard.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
It's the sign of a mature market(not mature as in content lol)

Same reason all smartphones these days seem to look and behave the same way and new versions barely change when 10 years ago there was a much greater variety in form and function.

The market has discovered what works and is targeting it hard.
Also, of stagnation. Because it keeps repeating the same ideas, less innovation comes forth, meaning there are few chances of finding creative content in there. It now works in longer cycles, with new things taking much longer to show up.