Octopath Traveler

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Octopath Traveler is clearly the most magnificent JRPG with cool pixel art, highly addicting boss/battle themes, an orthodox game mechanic, and a great storyline. It was once a game I stopped playing two years ago because it was so hard, and I finally started playing it again starting from the beginning with hefty knowledge on every single thing.

In any case, Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continents needs an English translation!

All monsters require a strategic plan in order to be defeated, and it goes to low-level monsters too because it's not about grinding to a higher level so you can easily beat the boss (doesn't work) but creating a fool-proof strategy because of one wrong mistake and it is all over! But fret not, if you have a clear mind, determination, and willpower, every obstacle will never be able to stand in your way! Anyway, aside from immediately battling a level 50+ boss while level 30+, let me just be a hypocrite and grind.

Now then, I'll start posting even more screenshots of the game while I am at it.

Having been inspired by Octopath Traveler speedrunners, I rise again with sweet quicksilver movement - immediately reaching chapter 3 without any big hurdles. Currently, in Sunlands located at Wellsprings, by-the-by, doing easiest to hardest or hardest to easiest. There is nothing interesting to share, but the true final boss battle is what I am trying to reach. Someday, I'll post the true boss battle about it.

As you can see, Tressa is a merchant with OP hired help! and has a sub-class of Cyrus' mage class. Of course, everyone should start with Tressa if they want the best experience, second then Cyrus and others would be anyone - but I prefer Therion and Olberic! I already optimized everyone's role so every single boss battle wouldn't be hard.

Subclasses to my main characters (Level 1 - 45 because special classes after 45 can be reached):
Tressa = Mage (double magic damage, as well as faster break. Important to have SP usage reduction!)
Cyrus = Hunter (leghold trap OP and for arrow spamming. Important to have the SP Saver, Second Wind, and Patience skill from Merchant, Dancer, and Hunter subclass.)
Therion = Merchant (basically for that hired help skill, SP Saver for skill spam, and BP for Therion's subclass healer divine skill (hired help is useful until the end game. Important to max speed for divine skill.)
Olberic = Healer (in order to make challenges easier as it gives a breathing room. Moreover, needs Second Wind, Healer Divine Skill, and SP saver. Always use all DEF/ATK nuts to him.)

When exchanging my main characters, I often remove Therion or Olberic depending on the boss, so if you do play the game, then change characters carefully! Also, in Sunland, I defeated the Serpent boss battle - which is so much difficult without sleep resistance accessory at Level 38... I am pretty good, I know. And it'll give the second-best bow equipment!

There won't be anything too amazing to share but screenshots and videos about my progress... although, since my PC specs are utter complete shit, I might as well not record anything, just share screenshots. Anyhow, bye-bye!

Cait... I am coming for you!

Last edited:

Motsu

I just finished Tressa's last chapter and happened to realize in the end credit that Therion is voiced by Matsouka Yoshitsugu (HAREM GOD) and Ophelia by Ai Kayano (Yoshitsugu's most shipped girl)! Like are you serious?! They are the current shipped trend in history and are known in the seeiyuu community! Damn, holy hell, that's mindblowing. Never thought they actually were involved in Octopath Traveler... shucks, I never really used the Japanese voice.

"It was when I went here that I realized what was the most precious treasure I've ever hand in my life... that I would protect and value the most... that treasure... which was beside me all along... and it was... my journey."

Tressa is one of the best, and none the least, starting characters in the speedrunning community! Tressa is a beautiful tomboy (as Ali said, she was like a some-kind of stone that needs more polishing) and has an ability to see the value of the things in this world, good at negotiating, and has quite the bravery... yet is still a child. She travels the world in search of a very magnificent treasure she got present in the bizarre after she became tempted by a single diary from a long-forgotten pirate. Throughout the whole world she journeyed, she meets a rival, eight friends, lessons, and foes whom she defeats.

'Her beautiful brown hair enclosed by a bycocket-looking hat, her leather get-up, and green eyes, and her rather large backpack; they all lure to be seen yet none could see the true worth when watching her. Only then when she acquires something, her true worth would unfold.'

[Took 52 minutes!]

*still stuck in the end credit 'cause it's too long*

I tried fighting the Runeblade level 50 boss but even with perfect play, it is not possible to beat it with mid-equipment and level 45 characters... I mean, I tried so hard so I guess I'll retreat and try grinding for level 55 with strong types of equipment! Or maybe go to other special class dungeons and see if they are easier than the Runeblade boss!

Last edited:

Tessa_Renalds

Neighborhood DM
I’m still working through Octopath Traveler, it’s such a fun game. I’m at the woodland parts with the huntress! :3

Motsu

I’m still working through Octopath Traveler, it’s such a fun game. I’m at the woodland parts with the huntress! :3
Huntress is very OP with the right monster to capture, especially hard bosses, not main bosses (they are untamable.) Right now, I am trying to beat the second hardest bosses in the special dungeons to get special subclasses. As you can see, unlike the normal subclasses you get in shrines that can be equipped in the job - special classes are the best classes that need you to beat a very powerful boss in order to get.

Let me continue my progress... since Cyrus is one of the best early mages, you'll need to make sure he has the best elemental attack and also, that he doesn't waste too many SP. For me, I put Therion and then steal and share SP with Merchant's REST skill to get SP again.

Cyrus Support skills:
Second Wind (From Dancer 3rd Support Skill)
Elemental Augmentation (From Scholar)
Patience (From Hunter 4th Support Skill)
SP Saver (From Merchant 4th Support Skill)

Equipment (Only the Strongest):
Transcendent Bow of Shadows (In Sunlands) = It's not really one of the hardest things to get, but the Snake starts with an attack that makes everyone sleep, and when its owner disappears, it can move three to four times. Unless you get a hang of it, you'll understand that it's not over yet until every character goes zero.

Lizardking's Axe and Divine Blade (In Sunlands) = It's Olberic's chapter 3 and you'll get there pretty fast, so not much for me to say anything.

Miguels Spear (In SaintsBridge) = Alfyn's Chapter 3! Go, get rekt by the boss.

Wizard's Rod and Viper Dagger and Carnage Blade (7th in Blade List) (In Riverford) = Strong types of equipment for the end-game!

I always make use of the Job feature and equip my characters with useful support skills in order to lower the difficulty of every fight, but of course, it only affects the fight minimally - yet as they say, the butterfly doesn't just fly without an effect. Moreover, since I am in Archmagus, and I already know the dungeon for Runeblade - I am hoping to get the two of them!

In any case, have Olberic his surpassing power with Carnage Blade (if you can get an even better blade, then that'll do.) so that you can spam his divine skill and make his job a cleric (for double action) or a dancer because I like to hear 'The PeaCOCK SSTRIKES!!' lol! Anyway, find Cait's to get a lot of JP, Cole, and EXP!

EDIT:

Holy moly! My heart was beating so much, my focus was unparalleled and I kept hearing 'my blade is unbending!' and now, all silence abode, and pray tell, the tale ends with a piece of victorious music that brings relief in my ears. This moment we'll be a tale to tell in the library!

Unlike the Runeblade boss, the boss in Shrine of the Archmagus is half of its difficulty, though, if you're able to understand the pattern, then it'll be a piece of cake! In addition, Sorcerer is now available with all types of elemental skills that would strike not two times, but three times! It also has 'Strongest Strikes' as a support skill that doubles the damage if one hits the enemy's weakness.

TIME TO BEAT RUNEBLADE BOSS!

Last edited:

Motsu

Good news! I've finally beaten the mighty boss in Shrine of the Starseer - who has the best support skills, not the passive support skills. Starseer deals wind, light, and dark damage three times to all foe, and gives augmentation and ailment resistance, and in addition, offer quick BP restoration and boost-start one BP!

It is the perfect subclass for Tressa while Cyrus equipping the Sorcerer subclass which in fact, allows him to deal 9999 damage three times! I know you won't believe it, but I just saw it with my very own eyes... if you offer Clerics and Scholars divine skill to Cyrus with Sorcerer as sub-class (and all support class of Sorcerer equipped), you'll get the best damage ever! You could also use Surpassing Power to get over 99,999 damage!

"What is the true purpose I use the knowledge I've learned? Is it to hold superiority and look down upon those who can't comprehend my genius? Is it to create a world only for myself? None the both! In the first place, all knowledge is served to the world, not to promote the evil acts but to create a brighter future where everyone can learn a way to stop these heinous tragedies! I swore as a scholar that I won't intend to let you live, not in my watch!"

Cyrus' route is one of the intellectual and yet, meaningful chronicles that clearly captures the right logic of the right mind. Thoroughly detailing the ways to learn knowledge and the ways to use that knowledge, and pulling Cyrus to unraveling a mystery that refined not only his knowledge but his unparalleled focus. Tempted against the evil book of dark sorcery, he went on to a journey - timed by the time he was exiled by the headmaster because of rumors. As the journey goes further, Cyrus realizes his true pursuit of using knowledge!

'Such justified belief, and morally composed wit, he stands - righteously stopping a superhuman monster who confidently indulges its own obsessive spree of the dark ritual to conquer the world.'
[Took 1 hour and 30 minutes!]

"Who do I wield my sword? I, who is a prisoner of the past - a broken man wielding an unbending blade."

Olberic's journey really ponders across the question of his oath and the reason why he still wields his own blade while trying to meet his comrade-in-arms, the traitor who destroyed his purpose. And as he goes, he meets different strong enemies with purposes that push him to question more of his purpose. Not long until he meets his long traitorous friend who's lost his purpose too, he challenges him yet as the battle goes, he figures that ending retaliation with retribution won't give him what he wanted, so he goes on to the real enemy - the mastermind. Olberic is a very strong man, so to speak, a wall to all the poor and defenseless people. Truly, I respect Olberic!

'The tip of his unbending blade touches the floor with the blood of the sinners threatened by fear, his intense face demanded answers and justice to where his sword once swore an oath to defend, and together with the will to defend the sake of everyone's future - the final obstacle begins!'
[Took 1 hour and 14 minutes!]

That'll be for now because I'll be playing Trails of Cold Steel IV since they've finally released patch 1.1!

Last edited:

Motsu

I've finally started to finish all the remaining Chapter 4's after finishing Trails of Cold Steel IV! And wow, I can't really say much than to feel like I've learned a lot of lessons as I was playing the game - their purpose and what they believe in life - seems to be the theme of this whole game. However, the game hasn't ended yet.

I am already starting to grab all the best weapons, armor, and accessories for this final dungeon fight! THE RUINS OF HORNBURG! I tested it out a while ago and all the bosses in there are what we've fought in the past but MUCH STRONGER! And I'm already grinding since I got all four special subclasses.

This is the full list of all sidequest, weapons, armor, accessories, boss weakpoints, and many others:

Motsu

After 5 hours of retrying and retrying... the journey of the told has finally ended, and all the connection beyond the journeys of our heroes and does who've witnessed our hero, they've finally unfolded as I finished the FINAL TRUE BOSS!

Holy shit! I couldn't believe it... after 6 times of retrying for 5 hours, beating all the same boss battles, and then to the last and final two-phased monster... I thought I couldn't beat it because I kept getting one-hit by lightning attacks and the Maw's damage are complete utter destruction... thanks to the Warmaster's Winnehild's War Cry, all bosses, and the second phase were much easier! But it actually needs timing and luck to beat it. After losing about 5 times... I was thinking of different patterns and strategies on how to defeat Galdera... I kept changing jobs, support skills, and types of equipment all for the sake of an assured victory... but still, I lost.

I was so depressed... but one more try, I said. One more, I changed everything to what I think is relevant and charged through... ooh boy, never thought I'd defeat it. Still, that level 41 Galdera fight though... inspired me even further.

It is a shame I never SC some of the fights like the first fight or some of the shadow past boss fights, but hey, at least there is proof I defeated the final true boss.

(This was my first try... did defeat the first phase but the second phase crushed me in 30 seconds.)

(the 6th try... the final fight.)

(I was actually able to get away from having my team obliterated because of the Dohter's Charity... get Dohter's Charity and spam Revitalizing Jam and the game is an instant win... though, with less mistakes only.)

(GG)

Octopath Traveler truly is the Ys Oath of Felghana when it comes to the final boss themselves, but well, they aren't really similar to the combat but similar to the difficulty and rely on a strategy-based plan. For me, OT is a 9/10 - perhaps there is still some improvement that would really heighten every players' experience like the experience flaw, little post-game bosses and dungeons, needs more chapters, and making the route to the final boss confusing because of the interconnecting quests!

Other than that, its soundtracks are the second One-Winged Angel yet catchy and motivating. The combat mechanic is none-the-likes I've seen before, pretty creative if you ask me. The story is pretty detailed and interesting, yet some of the lore does get dumped in a single dungeon where you have to fight the past bosses to read them... which well, makes no sense... it would have been best for the final dungeon to appear after everyone's chapter is done - connecting everyone to the same path and learning what beholds of the Gate of Finis. Seriously, I hate the fact that Alfyn doesn't react at all when they saw the ghost of Graham Crossford and his wife... or like how Tressa doesn't react when he saw Graham Crossford - the owner of the diary. I mean, if they've beaten the boss and read the books, then that would make sense that she should react, but she doesn't.

Even though everyone is together, they don't seem to feel the pain after the Galdera fight or talk to each other or some sort and just stand in front of Kit like some lifeless mannequins... come on, give me a sequel - not the Champions of the Continents - I want the Project Triangle Strategy in PC and I'll forgive you, Square Enix.

(here is my title screen and my loads)

(you get a crown once you finish all chapters and defeat the final true boss)

THIS THREAD IS COMPLETE AND FINISHED!

*meet me in the Atelier thread for the Atelier Lulua progress!*

Last edited: