On the opposite side of the isekai portal... (Mini-RPG)

minacia

perpetually sour
On the opposite side of the isekai portal...

The Background Story:

A mysterious portal opened to an unknown isekai universe. We would like you to travel through it and write letters back about what you see.​
Unfortunately, the portal appears to be mostly uni-directional (except for text messages), so it's not possible for you to return to Earth. However, if you (politely) ask the receptionist to send you a care package, maybe they will be nice enough to send it through the portal...​

Gameplay:

As an isekai explorer:​
Reply to this thread with a report describing what you see or did.​
The report should contain a subject, which is the primary topic the report is about. Subjects should be easily classifiable topics, like the title of an encyclopedia entry. Examples of subjects include: "Goblin" "Scribble Village" or "Poison Flower".​
Reports should also contain a body, which is a free-form written narrative.​
Finally, sign the letter with your character's name.​
As a portal receptionist:​
Find a report that hasn't been filed and quote the post.​
Evaluate whether you think it is believable. If yes, add the report to the Official Google Doc (classify the subject in the right category, such as Geography, Monsters, Plants) and link the original post. The purpose of the Google Doc is to help keep track of things that different players have discovered / added to the universe.​
If you want, send a care package to the isekai explorer.​

Rules:
  1. You cannot evaluate your own reports. Find someone else to evaluate your posts.
  2. Only one subject per report. If you have multiple subjects you want to focus on, split it into multiple reports.
  3. Try to be flexible. This is a casual world-building game, and it works better if we all understand the universe is flexible (i.e. multiple magic systems can co-exist, there are many species of dragons with different characteristics).
  4. Majority belief = canon. If 99% of everyone agrees there are three moons, yet one person says there are 19 moons, the majority wins...
  5. Don't do anything that breaks things for other players (i.e. blow up a city that a different player is living in).

And yes... this is basically a spin-off of the adventurer's guild, but a lot more casual and free-form.

Last edited:

minacia

perpetually sour
Example report:

Subject: Purple Grass

I decided to travel through the portal and the first thing I noticed was that this universe has purple grass.

I've never seen anything like it!

It seems to be just like ordinary grass except purple...

Anyways, I'm hungry so can you send me dinner?

-- Moo

minacia

perpetually sour
Example receptionist response:

Subject: Purple Grass

I decided to travel through the portal and the first thing I noticed was that this universe has purple grass.

I've never seen anything like it!

It seems to be just like ordinary grass except purple...

Anyways, I'm hungry so can you send me dinner?

-- Moo

Seems interesting. I've added this to the Google Doc.

Since you didn't write very much, I feel like being mean. I'm sending an apple to you through the portal. Have a nice dinner.

AdLeto

Subject: Seven suns

After walking trough the portal i was met with a myriad of colors, grass a strong shade of purple, flowers ending in deep blue spiral petals, trees with canopy like fire.

Even with this heavenlike scenario, what caugth most of my attention was the sky, shinning in the 7 colours of the rainbow was seven spheres rippling pure luminosity trough the skies.

It was stunningly beautiful.

--AdLeto

minacia

perpetually sour

After walking trough the portal i was met with a myriad of colors, grass a strong shade of purple, flowers ending in deep blue spiral petals, trees with canopy like fire.

Even with this heavenlike scenario, what caugth most of my attention was the sky, shinning in the 7 colours of the rainbow was seven spheres rippling pure luminosity trough the skies.

It was stunningly beautiful.

--AdLeto
Very strange and peculiar... noted! We'll see if anyone else reports anything similar... I've filed this for now!

Since you didn't ask for anything, I suppose you don't get anything!

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Subject: Potentially Sapient Beings

Upon traversing the portal to the new world, I set out in search of notable landmarks. I choose to head north of the portal's drop off point.

During the search I found fields of a crop similar to wheat tended by small bipedal creatures in a variety of colors matching the suns overhead. Their skin seems semi-fluid and their facial features are simple. All told they bring to mind the slimes that appear often in stories of other worlds.

I attempted to establish contact with the strange creatures. They seem incapable of speech, but do respond to noise. Additionally, they seem quite friendly. With speech failing, I attempt to write out messages on a bare patch of soil. They doodle simple images of quadrupedal animals next to my text.

Perhaps you could send some simple educational materials that I can use to teach them to write in english? Or, games or toys young children might enjoy.

--Chaos

((OOC, Weird that I'm being analytical about it with a name like Chaos, huh?))

minacia

perpetually sour
Subject: Potentially Sapient Beings

Upon traversing the portal to the new world, I set out in search of notable landmarks. I choose to head north of the portal's drop off point.

During the search I found fields of a crop similar to wheat tended by small bipedal creatures in a variety of colors matching the suns overhead. Their skin seems semi-fluid and their facial features are simple. All told they bring to mind the slimes that appear often in stories of other worlds.

I attempted to establish contact with the strange creatures. They seem incapable of speech, but do respond to noise. Additionally, they seem quite friendly. With speech failing, I attempt to write out messages on a bare patch of soil. They doodle simple images of quadrupedal animals next to my text.

Perhaps you could send some simple educational materials that I can use to teach them to write in english? Or, games or toys young children might enjoy.

--Chaos

((OOC, Weird that I'm being analytical about it with a name like Chaos, huh?))
Very fascinating... I've added your entry to the database.

I'm too lazy to go to the bookstore, so you can just have my iPad. I hope there's enough battery power for you to use.

minacia

perpetually sour

Thanks for the apple. I ate it and now I have apple seeds. If I plant them, can we grow apple trees?

Anyways, about the "suns" (are they actually stars or are they glowing orbs in the sky?).

In either case, I'd like to add some more details.

I'm not totally sure if the "suns" move or not, but right now they're roughly in a straight line in the sky. The red sun is on one end, and the violent sun is on the opposite end of the line. I think the red sun faces east and the violet sun faces west... but I don't have a compass, so how can I even tell???

Maybe someone can send me a magnetic compass?

--Moo

Derrax

Thanks for the apple. I ate it and now I have apple seeds. If I plant them, can we grow apple trees?

Anyways, about the "suns" (are they actually stars or are they glowing orbs in the sky?).

In either case, I'd like to add some more details.

I'm not totally sure if the "suns" move or not, but right now they're roughly in a straight line in the sky. The red sun is on one end, and the violent sun is on the opposite end of the line. I think the red sun faces east and the violet sun faces west... but I don't have a compass, so how can I even tell???

Maybe someone can send me a magnetic compass?

--Moo
Your request for a compass is reasonable. One will arrive shortly through the portal.

Glad you enjoyed the apple. I'm sending you another one. It's a little special though: it's a pineapple!

Derrax

Subject: Slimes

I decided to travel through the portal. This world is strange. The grass is purple, and the suns(?) are rainbow-colored. The air is breathable and the gravity seems normal.

I'll write another rapport on the climate and day-night circle when I'll have gathered more data.

Shaking my head in disbelief, I set out in a random direction.

After walking for a few minutes, I encountered unknown hostile life-forms. I can only describe them as slimes.

Their bodies are semi-transparent and made of some jelly-like substance. Their colors imitate the suns(?) in the sky, though I didn't see any purple slimes; it's maybe because of the purple grass.

Slimes seem to wander alone. Their moving mechanism is unknown. They may possess shapeshifting or telekinesist abilities. Their internal structure is unknown. They are maybe unicelular beings.

--Lt. Deer Axe

Derrax

Subject: Green Slimes

I tried to approach one specimen: a green slime. The slime didn't seem capable of speech. It attacked me when I was near it with a pounce, so I cut it open with my axe. A sizzling noise came out of my fuming axe. I decided to retreat and observe. I sustained no injuries in the encounter, but my axe lost its sharp edge.

Slimes seem to possess corrosive properties. Slimes seem to possess regenerative properties, as the green slime recovered from my cut after a few minutes. Those abilities may or may not be exclusive to green slimes; further testing is necessary.

Requesting a new weapon for personal safety and an equipment maintenance kit against strong acids.

--Lt. Deer Axe