Oneshot

kira

Since where I live some people refuse to take the pandemic seriously I am staying at home.. lol. So I thought for fun I have an idea for a oneshot. I wondered how long it should be? Is there a criteria.. What do you like in one?:blob_cookie:

mostlyharmfulll

TeaMate since day 1
Honestly, the only difference between oneshots and multi-chapter-stories is that the oneshot gets released at once. It can be as long as you think it needs to be to tell the story you want to tell.
Personally, I would advise the oneshot to be at least like 2k words, because if it is too short, it might completely fail to reach the audience emotionally. A oneshot should actually tell a story and not be like the shorties that are posted in the writing prompts forum.

Mihou

Firefly—
Most one-shots I read were mostly of 3,000 to 8,000 words and some could maybe be higher. I prefer reading a Oneshot that really brings my emotions in honestly, girl's love drama that ends with a very bright rainbow. :blobrofl:

kira

Honestly, the only difference between oneshots and multi-chapter-stories is that the oneshot gets released at once. It can be as long as you think it needs to be to tell the story you want to tell.
Personally, I would advise the oneshot to be at least like 2k words, because if it is too short, it might completely fail to reach the audience emotionally. A oneshot should actually tell a story and not be like the shorties that are posted in the writing prompts forum.
Thanks alot for your input! I was thinking about writing what would be equivalent to 5 chapters. :s_smile:

kira

Thanks! I write romance/ CEO drama lol I do love rainbows! 🌈❤.

atgongumerki

equivalent to 5 chapters

that would be at least 8k - 10k words
at least going by what I commonly see chapters to be at
there are some chapters that go by as few as 200 words, and I have seen some interesting one-shots with as little as 600 words

so .... (do as you like)

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
Most one-shots I read were mostly of 3,000 to 8,000 words and some could maybe be higher. I prefer reading a Oneshot that really brings my emotions in honestly, girl's love drama that ends with a very bright rainbow. :blobrofl:
Hope you read through this then @Mihou https://www.scribblehub.com/series/140508/-nights-in-the-garden-of-lilies-a-yuri-garden-anthology/

@kira
One-shots have no criteria. As long as you enjoy it when you're writing it then everything should be fine. I normally write one-shots to keep my brain going when I'm in a writer's block. One-shots could be 500 words they can be 10k words but normally it's a stand-alone story that a reader can jump in, read through, and feel satisfied at the end not wanting more to the story in most cases. If you have to make a follow up then you can't really call it a one-shot anymore, can you?