P3reload: Ok, this is not good

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
Do take this with a grain of salt because it's very difficult for someone who had experienced the height of the original game to compromise with something of lower quality.

I know 3d animation is difficult but it doesn't mean I can overlook them cutting corner. So far, I saw quite the stiff models and motions + too many reused animation from the dancing game. Reusing assets is not a bad thing, but the dancing game does not have good animations. Reusing those without any adjustment is just negligence or plain lazy.

The voice acting was also found lacking. The lifeless voicelines + the dull portraits stuck out like a sore thumb. I barely feel any emotion from the dialogue at all.

While reload opened up a lot more options and resources for you to explore, the quality of pre-existing assets is a few grades below the original at least. The original clearly did a much better job at characterising the casts (not just the main group but supporting characters too).

Last edited:

ConstanTeen

I played the PSP version years ago and pretty much forgot 95% of the story, lol. The biggest thing I remember is
how silly it was for some side character to be killed by just a normal gun, you'd think that any magic from demons would be way more powerful than a normal weapon and the power of persona would protect from something as insignificant as a firearm... What is the point of getting strong to the point of killing a literal god when any rando can kill you with a gun? Stupid. That killed any dramatic impact that death could possibly have, and also I didn't even complete any social links of that dude, as I mostly focused on the girls, like any straight guy would. Just changing it so that he was killed by the opponent's persona would've been more dramatic.
So it wasn't much of a peak, at least in terms of writing. Another thing I remember is that I couldn't even finish Aegis's link because there was just not enough time, and that the ending I got was rather lackluster.

I liked P4 and P5 more in terms of the story, as for its gameplay, P3 actually had some advantages over the sequels, at the very least it had more damage types, adding more depth to the fights and also was relatively harder late-game. And I also played it solo, always splitting my party, it was fun in its own way. Just soloing normal mobs and having an over-leveled MC and under-leveled party was interesting, and unfortunately you can't do the same thing in P4 and P5 as they removed the option to send your party members to explore the dungeon and, if I remember right, changed how the EXP distribution worked. I wonder if P3R kept the system from the original or from the sequels.

No sex. Bad game
There's actually sex outside the game with the game characters. Just saying. And you can date multiple girls at the same time as a real Chad. And then read hentai manga with them.

Notadate

I played the PSP version years ago and pretty much forgot 95% of the story, lol. The biggest thing I remember is
how silly it was for some side character to be killed by just a normal gun, you'd think that any magic from demons would be way more powerful than a normal weapon and the power of persona would protect from something as insignificant as a firearm... What is the point of getting strong to the point of killing a literal god when any rando can kill you with a gun? Stupid. That killed any dramatic impact that death could possibly have, and also I didn't even complete any social links of that dude, as I mostly focused on the girls, like any straight guy would. Just changing it so that he was killed by the opponent's persona would've been more dramatic.
So it wasn't much of a peak, at least in terms of writing. Another thing I remember is that I couldn't even finish Aegis's link because there was just not enough time, and that the ending I got was rather lackluster.

I liked P4 and P5 more in terms of the story, as for its gameplay, P3 actually had some advantages over the sequels, at the very least it had more damage types, adding more depth to the fights and also was relatively harder late-game. And I also played it solo, always splitting my party, it was fun in its own way. Just soloing normal mobs and having an over-leveled MC and under-leveled party was interesting, and unfortunately you can't do the same thing in P4 and P5 as they removed the option to send your party members to explore the dungeon and, if I remember right, changed how the EXP distribution worked. I wonder if P3R kept the system from the original or from the sequels.

There's actually sex outside the game with the game characters. Just saying. And you can date multiple girls at the same time as a real Chad. And then read hentai manga with them.
You sold me

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead

I will quote a character in the game "We are talking about shadow here. Without persona, you're screwed." Persona pretty much provides you with the majority of the major stats from elemental and physical weaknesses or resistances to str, end, agi, luck, and mag. A persona user without evoker is just a health bar. Damage can easily go through your max health without the endurance stats of your persona so being shot dead is not really that strange to me. Then you have to look at the guy's physical condition with all the suppression drugs doing the dirty works and wrecking his body.

I will not compare the stories since preference and nostalgia play big role in that.

Last edited:

nemonusquam_

Never played the original, but so far I've been enjoying this game a lot. My first Persona game was P5, and then I played P4G, so this is my first time experiencing the core of P3.

It feels more streamlined than the other two and the combat side of things has never felt better. The color palette is a treat for the eyes; shades of green, purple and yellow accentuating the overall "darker" tones of the setting.

As for the cast, I found their relationship to be more organic, if that makes any sense. They're not friends from the get-go. More like colleagues who grow into friendship as time passes by and they get to truly know each other.

Also, Mitsuru is straight 🔥and Akihiko a good boi.