Pacing & Upload Rate

Bobple

Bobple had some time to think, which is usually not a good thing. So anyway, a bored Bobple started to think about this cause it related to his recent planning.

Pacing & Upload Rate!

For a story to have a good pacing, that requires a LOT of things which I'm not going to talk about here, just referring to its relation to uploading rate (How often chapters come out).

As someone who has read too many stories, some that I have read felt to have slow or dragged out pacing when read week by week, day by day, or month by month, but read all together there was no problems to be had. Of course there have been cases when the opposite is true, but that is very uncommon.

I had the thought after planning the next ten chapters of my weekly story, and had the thought was the progression of events happening too slowly? Btw the following is not me asking for advice, I'm just a curious Apple who has time on his hands to ramble.

So my question today is! Have you ever been worried your story has been progressing too slowly? If you have, did you do anything, or just left it the way it was to not damage the flow of your story?

(To answer my own question cause why not!
Clearly I have worried, but I have decided to not do anything major yet, instead just told myself to be more consistent, and create a small stockpile so if I did reach a point, I could upload 2~3 for week for short period of time)

Last edited:

Jmoonday

Bobple had some time to think, which is usually not a good thing. So anyway, a bored Bobple started to think about this cause it related to his recent planning.

Pacing & Upload Rate!

For a story to have a good pacing, that requires a LOT of things which I'm not going to talk about here, just referring to its relation to uploading rate.

As someone who has read too many stories, some that I have read felt to have slow or dragged out pacing when read week by week, day by day, or month by month, but read all together there was no problems to be had. Of course there have been cases when the opposite is true, but that is very uncommon.

I had the thought after planning the next ten chapters of my weekly story, and had the thought was the progression of events happening too slowly? Btw the following is not me asking for advice, I'm just a curious Apple who has time on his hands to ramble.

So my question today is! Have you ever been worried your story has been progressing too slowly? If you have, did you do anything, or just left it the way it was to not damage the flow of your story?

Clearly I have worried, but I have decided to not do anything major yet, instead just told myself to be more consistent, and create a small stockpile so if I did reach a point, I could upload 2~3 for week for short period of time)
All. The. Time.

I think a lot of it for me personally is that it's legitimately the first time I am putting my imagination onto a page (or screen in this case).

Flow is very difficult for many new writers, I know this because I am one. But it's also one of the easiest things to spot problems with for a reader/viewer of any medium. Especially if it is a fast paced story that slows to a crawl later on and vice-versa. And those changes can also be normal, obviously not everything can be action packed or superbly interesting.

I view the work I have submitted the same way as you, I upload consistently and am also sort of 'stockpiling' just to get it out there. This may sound almost like lazy workflow, but honestly I don't think heavily editing a story as you build it up is a good idea. If I could give one piece of advice for anything is that if you spend too much time editing an unfinished product of any kind, the quality will just feel lopsided. Things that feel "rushed" suffer from this problem.

If you fight through the negative thoughts, take honest feedback seriously, and eliminate the worst of your glaring issues in the work. The best piece of advice in writing I ever received was from my English Professor in my first semester in college, they said that it's much easier to downsize a paper than it is to increase it and still have it remain a solid work. Overexplaining something can be a good thing, it means you can likely shorten it later on. But the opposite problem is much harder to solve, it will require much more creative thinking to add on more to what you have established and have it meet that consistent standard.

- Sorry if my paragraph was intimidating, I legit have been having the same feeling lately! :sweating_profusely:

Bobple

All. The. Time.

I think a lot of it for me personally is that it's legitimately the first time I am putting my imagination onto a page (or screen in this case).

Flow is very difficult for many new writers, I know this because I am one. But it's also one of the easiest things to spot problems with for a reader/viewer of any medium. Especially if it is a fast paced story that slows to a crawl later on and vice-versa. And those changes can also be normal, obviously not everything can be action packed or superbly interesting.

I view the work I have submitted the same way as you, I upload consistently and am also sort of 'stockpiling' just to get it out there. This may sound almost like lazy workflow, but honestly I don't think heavily editing a story as you build it up is a good idea. If I could give one piece of advice for anything is that if you spend too much time editing an unfinished product of any kind, the quality will just feel lopsided. Things that feel "rushed" suffer from this problem.

If you fight through the negative thoughts, take honest feedback seriously, and eliminate the worst of your glaring issues in the work. The best piece of advice in writing I ever received was from my English Professor in my first semester in college, they said that it's much easier to downsize a paper than it is to increase it and still have it remain a solid work. Overexplaining something can be a good thing, it means you can likely shorten it later on. But the opposite problem is much harder to solve, it will require much more creative thinking to add on more to what you have established and have it meet that consistent standard.

- Sorry if my paragraph was intimidating, I legit have been having the same feeling lately! :sweating_profusely:
All good! It was a fun read. :blob_cookie:

So far I'm not heavily editing yet. My way of writing is usually a cycle of plan arc (know the key things that will happen) -> plan next 5~15 chapters (Usually just the name of the chapter and a sentence description), so I know what I will write and hint and foreshadow things correctly. Then write one chapter week by week, cause that was all I could really do (very slow at writing).

Good luck with your writing fellow newbie! :blob_paint:

nowme_cres

Pacing & Upload Rate!

For a story to have a good pacing, that requires a LOT of things which I'm not going to talk about here, just referring to its relation to uploading rate.

What upload rate? What uploads?

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Long of short, sweet spot for algorithm is 1 every 3 days. Post at 1201am.

ACertainPassingUser

Well, it's not the speed but the consistency

It's not fun if the story focus on so much multichapter filler yet only packs very little action or events. Especially when the filler ends up no longer relevant and bring up anymore.

If the story run on absurdly fast breakneck pacing, then keep it up on the speed. If it runs slowly, then keep the speed steady. No timeskip or fast forward unless major arc ends or something important happened.

The Story better end when there's sign of MC future become too obvious and not that interesting anymore. Don't put some last-minute problem just to fuck with MC to keep story going, please invest in more new plot and new development direction instead.

If your story going to hiatus, just kill the MC abruptly. That way, youre no longer compelled to continue and the reader won't be bothered to wait for more.