Resolved Paragraph Spaces Vanishing

MajorKerina

I pasted text like I usually do from a word processor and when I move the text around in the client, the paragraph spaces vanish when they never ever did that before with the exact same method. I've tried pasting plain text into the editor and it has the exact same issue.

The key issue is whenever I save the draft, the paragraph spaces will vanish.

I have literally tried typing original text into the box and it still will not save the paragraph breaks. One slight workaround I've seen is trying to erase and reenter spaces with enter but I have to do it with each paragraph.

Attachments

• Screenshot (72).png
    Screenshot (72).png
    61.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot (73).png
    Screenshot (73).png
    66.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reactions: CL

MajorKerina

I tested a story which I posted several weeks ago with perfect paragraph spacing. The only change I made was to press "UPDATE" with zero alterations to the text.

Attachments

• Screenshot (76).png
    Screenshot (76).png
    146.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot (77).png
    Screenshot (77).png
    171.1 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: CL

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I pasted text like I usually do from a word processor and when I move the text around in the client, the paragraph spaces vanish when they never ever did that before with the exact same method. I've tried pasting plain text into the editor and it has the exact same issue.

I have literally tried typing original text into the box and it still will not save the paragraph breaks. One slight workaround I've seen is trying to erase and reenter spaces with enter but I have to do it with each paragraph.

Do a right click and do an inspect, then post what you see. If I were to guess, your word processor is putting <br> instead of <p> for new lines.

MajorKerina

It's putting <br />

No wait, it's puting <p> but the magrins are still going wrong.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
It's putting <br />

No wait, it's puting <p> but the magrins are still going wrong.
Can you post a screenshot of before and after but showing the code.

You can also see the margins by hovering your mouse over the code part.

also if you can, search for:

wp-editor-area

and expand the textarea, that should be the final code.

MajorKerina

Here's a look at the source

Attachments

• Screenshot (78).png
    Screenshot (78).png
    256.4 KB · Views: 43

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Here's a look at the source
It looks like everything is in 1 paragraph, expand it, it shows <br> right?

There should be multiple <p> for each.

What is the word processor you use?

MajorKerina

Can you post a screenshot of before and after but showing the code.

You can also see the margins by hovering your mouse over the code part.

also if you can, search for:

wp-editor-area

and expand the textarea, that should be the final code.

Attachments

• Screenshot (80).png
    Screenshot (80).png
    343.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot (81).png
    Screenshot (81).png
    256.3 KB · Views: 64

MajorKerina

I never had a problem with spacing till the beginning of this week. No matter what the text was, I would just add or adjust spaces and they would stay.

It looks like everything is in 1 paragraph, expand it, it shows <br> right?

There should be multiple <p> for each.

What is the word processor you use?
MS Word subscription edition 365.

Again, I also tested it by only entering text using the writing client on the site and tried to make paragraph breaks and they vanished when saving a draft. So it's not the processor.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Again, I also tested it by only entering text using the writing client on the site and tried to make paragraph breaks and they vanished when saving a draft. So it's not the processor.
I tried copy and pasting on my side and it works fine for both the client and copying from libreoffice.

What browser are you using?

Also in your console there are 3 errors, maybe something isn't loading? Can you click Console?

MajorKerina

Fully updated Google Chrome.

Is this what you mean? For instance, when I type a new paragraph in here I can just create new paragraph with a

Shift-Enter. Does that not work on the client anymore? Because it doesn't save anything when I enter text into it. It used to work perfectly from even pasting HTML from my personal pages ever since May. What changed?

Attachments

• Screenshot (83).png
    Screenshot (83).png
    298.5 KB · Views: 55

MajorKerina

PS - I found a weird fix whereby I do a single space on every blank line. It saves the line breaks but I'm not sure why. I never needed to do that before.

Title
<space>
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog
<space>
More text

Otherwise it becomes
Title
The quick brown...
More text

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Fully updated Google Chrome.

Is this what you mean? For instance, when I type a new paragraph in here I can just create new paragraph with a

Shift-Enter. Does that not work on the client anymore? Because it doesn't save anything when I enter text into it. It used to work perfectly from even pasting HTML from my personal pages ever since May. What changed?
Generally, enter is a new paragraph, shift enter is a new line.

MajorKerina

I prefer setting my paragraph spaces with enter but I'm bewildered why enter by itself isn't working for me and I need to add a space to preserve the formatting. I actually found I tend to tab down to add paragraphs so that seems to be why my previous stuff didn't lose the formatting.

But I've been adding in older works so the formatting has been run through several generations of word processors with new edits. I'm still not sure why when I start a new composition entirely in the ScribbleHub client that it doesn't save an ENTER or SHIFT-ENTER in the current config. I tried a SHIFT-ALT-7 and that actually works pretty well but adding a space between lines is faster. I hope it plays nice with other places I cross-post to. While I have a workaround, I wish I knew what the root cause was.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I prefer setting my paragraph spaces with enter but I'm bewildered why enter by itself isn't working for me and I need to add a space to preserve the formatting. I actually found I tend to tab down to add paragraphs so that seems to be why my previous stuff didn't lose the formatting.

But I've been adding in older works so the formatting has been run through several generations of word processors with new edits. I'm still not sure why when I start a new composition entirely in the ScribbleHub client that it doesn't save an ENTER or SHIFT-ENTER in the current config. I tried a SHIFT-ALT-7 and that actually works pretty well but adding a space between lines is faster. I hope it plays nice with other places I cross-post to. While I have a workaround, I wish I knew what the root cause was.
On my computer on chrome in the SH client outcome of enter and shift enter look like this:
Code:
<p>This is an enter</p>
<p>This is a shift enter
<br>
done</p>

As can be seen, enter creates a <p> aka paragraph and shift enter creates a <br> aka new line. This is standard procedure.

What might be the issue is I am on chrome 86, and latest is 87 which was released about a week ago. So while unlikely, it is possible that either tinymce(the editor used) or some extension you might use or some bug is the cause.

Do you have another browser like firefox or try in private mode(without extensions)?

MajorKerina

I just updated Firefox and logged in like that and it still blanks the spaces. I even tried using your above comment as a paste. And adding it to the document still wipes the spaces when I save the draft. The only fix that works is adding an extra spacebar space between paragraphs.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I just updated Firefox and logged in like that and it still blanks the spaces. I even tried using your above comment as a paste. And adding it to the document still wipes the spaces when I save the draft. The only fix that works is adding an extra spacebar space between paragraphs.

This comment systems works completely different from tinymce for editing chapters.

When you do an enter it creates br, not p.

As can be seen.
Code:
As can be seen, enter creates a &lt;p&gt; aka paragraph and shift enter creates a &lt;br&gt; aka new line. This is standard procedure.<br>
<br>
What might be the issue is I am on chrome 86, and latest is 87 which was released about a week ago. So while unlikely, it is possible that either tinymce(the editor used) or some extension you might use or some bug is the cause.
<br>
<br>
Do you have another browser like firefox or try in private mode(without extensions)?

How about using a chapter text that uses multiple <p> as a paste and see if that works? If it still doesn't work, just in case disable office clipboard tray and see if it works then.

MajorKerina

I got the same result. I used plain text and added the <p> as a paste with an HTML editor. It worked great in the HTML editor but fell apart in the ScribbleHub editor.

The SH editor even notes the P.

Attachments

• Screenshot (84).png
    Screenshot (84).png
    196.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot (85).png
    Screenshot (85).png
    360 KB · Views: 58

Tony

Staff member

Can you try again? The bug should be fixed.