Paragraph Spacing

KyoruS

Hello fellow authors or scribbler. I'm quite new here and recently published my first ever series in this medium. I just found out in my series that the paragraph spacing leaves a big gap between each new line/paragraph. I would love to know how to solve this issue.

LostLibrarian

Looks like you have two line breaks after each paragraph.
Try deleting the additional (unneeded) one...

LostLibrarian

The added gap is due two the second line break adding another gap.
With that one deleted you should end up with half the gap (normal size)

Rinne

Professional Headpatter
I assume you wrote this somewhere where a line break was actually a line break for a single line and then copied the text over.
In this case, though, any line break is instead a double line break, since it is more accurately a new paragraph.

If you simply want to keep the space as is, deleting the additional line break in the middle is more than enough. If you want a line break to be actually only for one line, you have to use Shift + Enter for each of them.

Depending on where you wrote this, the single line break from Shift + Enter carries over.
If you wrote in google docs, while it doesn't have any visual effect with default formatting, it still carries over if you use Shift + Enter. Most other word processors that make this distinction actually show this with default formatting though, as far as I know.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
This is kind of strange. I am using paragraphs (so, just with enter; linebreaks with shift+enter would make the formatting for print so much worse) and don't have that problem. In fact, I have to format before posting here to have any kind of spacing between paragraphs on SH.
Have you tried using "Clear Formatting" on your chapters in case it's a format from whatever program you use to write? That might help.

queenofthefuzzybugs

As someone who uses Google Docs, my only solution is to copy+[paste as plain text] into Scribble Hub's editor. That removes all the formatting and stops the weird double spaces. This is why I rarely use italics or any kind of fun text stuff, because I can't easily carry it over when copying to SH editor. I'd have to do everything manually. (I'm just too lazy to do that twice...)

KyoruS

I assume you wrote this somewhere where a line break was actually a line break for a single line and then copied the text over.
In this case, though, any line break is instead a double line break, since it is more accurately a new paragraph.

If you simply want to keep the space as is, deleting the additional line break in the middle is more than enough. If you want a line break to be actually only for one line, you have to use Shift + Enter for each of them.

Depending on where you wrote this, the single line break from Shift + Enter carries over.
If you wrote in google docs, while it doesn't have any visual effect with default formatting, it still carries over if you use Shift + Enter. Most other word processors that make this distinction actually show this with default formatting though, as far as I know.

Yeah I was copying from google docs. And Shift + Enter does give me the format that I wanted. Thank you so much for your help.

JayDirex

I'm not aware of the shift plus enter. But if you are writing in Google Docs and you copy and paste into grammarly, then you can copy everything from grammarly and paste it directly into scribble Hub and the format will be fixed.

That's how I remove the double spaced paragraph thing. Copy and paste G-docs into grammarly, and then from grammarly copy and paste into scribble hub. It fixes the format. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ works for me.

Rinne

Professional Headpatter
Yeah I was copying from google docs. And Shift + Enter does give me the format that I wanted. Thank you so much for your help.
Glad I could help.

As a little tip when using google docs:
At the top menu, under Format -> Line spacing -> Custom spacing -> Paragraph spacing (pts) set the After spacing to 10 or similar. This gives you a similar style to the editor here, where a regular press of Enter gives you a double line break while a Shift + Enter gives you a single one. This way you can already do the formatting in google docs and don't have to worry about the formatting not carrying over properly. Or having to worry that you forgot to press Shift + Enter somewhere.

queenofthefuzzybugs

Glad I could help.

As a little tip when using google docs:
At the top menu, under Format -> Line spacing -> Custom spacing -> Paragraph spacing (pts) set the After spacing to 10 or similar. This gives you a similar style to the editor here, where a regular press of Enter gives you a double line break while a Shift + Enter gives you a single one. This way you can already do the formatting in google docs and don't have to worry about the formatting not carrying over properly. Or having to worry that you forgot to press Shift + Enter somewhere.

You.... you are a genius. Here's a million internet bucks. Good for any meme you can find!

Seriously though, that's the first time someone gave me a solid way to solve the spacing issue. Sincerely grateful!

Edit: To those who use Google Doc like me, keep in mind that Rinne's tip works best on a NEW DOCUMENT. Trying to edit your current document is a pain, if it's possible at all. So start new chapters and what not with Rinne's tip in mind and it does work!

Last edited:

Rinne

Professional Headpatter
You.... you are a genius. Here's a million internet bucks. Good for any meme you can find!

Seriously though, that's the first time someone gave me a solid way to solve the spacing issue. Sincerely grateful!

Edit: To those who use Google Doc like me, keep in mind that Rinne's tip works best on a NEW DOCUMENT. Trying to edit your current document is a pain, if it's possible at all. So start new chapters and what not with Rinne's tip in mind and it does work!
Glad that it helps.

Setting the spacing formats the same as everything else. In other words, either from your current position in the document onwards or what you have currently selected.
For existing documents, the easiest way is simply selecting everything with the help of CTRL + A and then setting the spacing. The rest is just regular editing from that point on.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy

Clicking the "Remove space after paragraph" or the "before" one, will fix the double break copy from the Google Docs.
1594683627095.png

queenofthefuzzybugs

Clicking the "Remove space after paragraph" or the "before" one, will fix the double break copy from the Google Docs.

This doesn't work for me with existing text. Basically, the existing text has no space to remove, only add. When doing the Custom Line Space After 10, a large (annoying) space is created between paragraphs. This transfers over to SH as well (defeating the purpose of even doing it). Removing the space as you suggested fixed the problem in Google Docs but the double space remains in SH editor when copied over.

HOWEVER when using NEW text with the Custom Line Space technique, everything works just fine.

Saileri

Welp, as long as something works. After using the option I screenshotted in a new doc, copying it later into SH works without the line issue for me. Just suggested what might have worked for u too.

Sacred_Night

As someone who uses Google Docs, my only solution is to copy+[paste as plain text] into Scribble Hub's editor. That removes all the formatting and stops the weird double spaces. This is why I rarely use italics or any kind of fun text stuff, because I can't easily carry it over when copying to SH editor. I'd have to do everything manually. (I'm just too lazy to do that twice...)
The pain of re-adding italics, bold, underline XD. I'm so exhausted that I stopped using tables as a result lol.

Saileri

The pain of re-adding italics, bold, underline XD. I'm so exhausted that I stopped using tables as a result lol.
Yeah, that's why I searched for a solution that would allow me to insta paste from it into SH, and it was the aforementioned one. In terms of tables, I spent an hour or two creating a perfect table template in a "fake chapter" on SH and I just copy it when needed. Setting them up every time takes too much time.

OvidLemma

If you have an existing chapter/passage, there are a few easy ways to remove double carriage returns without otherwise affecting the document.
In Google Docs:
Do a find-replace (Control-H).
Make sure "match using regular expressions" is checked.
Find: \n\n
Replace With: \n

In MS Word:
Do a find-replace (Control-H).
Find: ^p ^p (note: the space is important)
Replace with: ^p

If you do this, it will remove all double line-breaks in an existing document and replace them with single line breaks.