Patreon Fall Out Shelter

LadyNefalum

Hi youse guyse.
My Patreon was taken down this morning.
Where are people seeking sanctuary these days?

Does Subscribe Star permit lewd, adult writing?
I read the T&C... but what do they allow in the real world. Are they practicing what they preach?

More importantly: does SS allow literary narrative rape?

I am in process of appealing because one chapter was dedicated to narrative, lore-enriched rape.

Thank you <3

J_Chemist

KrisVFX

God of Creation
It seems like Patreon has a strict policy about posting non-consensual NSFW. So that might be the reason why it was taken down.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
alright, so... my experience and what i've seen with others...

ME: I use SS rather than patreon because while patreon "allows" adult content, it's basically 1 strike, false or not, and you're out. and it's an uphill battle to prove your innocence. SS seems to investigate allegations before taking action.

Others: One of my favorite examples is Selebus, that makes that controversial VN Lessons in Love. While I'm not a fan of it myself, it's an excellent example. literally EVERYTHING on his SS is technically SFW, so the fact that they're lolis makes no difference. his nudes are behind paywalls elsewhere. he's had multiple semi-valid strikes, but SS has always held that his content does NOT violate their TOS.

Which leads me into point 3: Patreon controls anything linked FROM OR TO their site. So if I have a patreon page on here, they control what content I'm allowed to have on HERE, not JUST on their site. Legal or questionable or not, you agree to it as part of their TOS. SubscribeStar on the other hand explicitly states that if it's not DIRECTLY on their page, they couldn't give two craps about it. I've had some fairly questionable content on my page here (read through my one shots. specifically the one titled A Friend by Chance), and i've had 2 reports, and neither was deemed valid.

LadyNefalum

It seems like Patreon has a strict policy about posting non-consensual NSFW. So that might be the reason why it was taken down.
Yes. When they messaged me, that was the reason given. I am in process of appealing, since there was only 1 chapter dedicated to that.
alright, so... my experience and what i've seen with others...

ME: I use SS rather than patreon because while patreon "allows" adult content, it's basically 1 strike, false or not, and you're out. and it's an uphill battle to prove your innocence. SS seems to investigate allegations before taking action.

Others: One of my favorite examples is Selebus, that makes that controversial VN Lessons in Love. While I'm not a fan of it myself, it's an excellent example. literally EVERYTHING on his SS is technically SFW, so the fact that they're lolis makes no difference. his nudes are behind paywalls elsewhere. he's had multiple semi-valid strikes, but SS has always held that his content does NOT violate their TOS.

Which leads me into point 3: Patreon controls anything linked FROM OR TO their site. So if I have a patreon page on here, they control what content I'm allowed to have on HERE, not JUST on their site. Legal or questionable or not, you agree to it as part of their TOS. SubscribeStar on the other hand explicitly states that if it's not DIRECTLY on their page, they couldn't give two craps about it. I've had some fairly questionable content on my page here (read through my one shots. specifically the one titled A Friend by Chance), and i've had 2 reports, and neither was deemed valid.
Very helpful! Thank you ! I was not aware about point 3. ouf

Sagacious_Punk

Resident solarpunk
Patreon is a joke these days. Not only they take the largest cut out of all creator platforms (part of which is "hidden" fees in small print), but they have long ago abandoned their ethos of enabling people to be "patrons of the art", as was their original mission statement back in 2013.

But anything California-based these days is a laughable from a sensible business standpoint. That geographical region is cursed at this point.

SubscribeStar is the best alternative, followed closely by Stripe if you have a legit business registration. Ko-fi and its derivatives are ok substitutes in a pinch.

Bear in mind though that almost everything passes through PayPal (with a couple of places offering direct bank transfer), so if one draws the ire of that company, they're basically SOL.
RIP Hatreon

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
Patreon is a joke these days. Not only they take the largest cut out of all creator platforms (part of which is "hidden" fees in small print), but they have long ago abandoned their ethos of enabling people to be "patrons of the art", as was their original mission statement back in 2013.

But anything California-based these days is a laughable from a sensible business standpoint. That geographical region is cursed at this point.

SubscribeStar is the best alternative, followed closely by Stripe if you have a legit business registration. Ko-fi and its derivatives are ok substitutes in a pinch.

Bear in mind though that almost everything passes through PayPal (with a couple of places offering direct bank transfer), so if one draws the ire of that company, they're basically SOL.
RIP Hatreon
100% agree, they're a joke to creators. However, they have a large portion of the market share, and there are tons of people who would support individuals, but only use patreon. Do I wish they didn't? Absolutely. Is it a reality that if I want money from readers, I need to use Patreon? Pretty much.

FebyA

I realized now that going all in on just 1 thing is too risky. Thank you for letting me know about SS.

Corty

I need a vacation.
True. I would much love to use Ko-fi instead, but the majority of people won't even create an account or something. So if I want to gain a little from my writing, I have to use patreon, which sucks. No matter if I have ko-fi, buymeacoffe or subscribestar, it is what it is...

Maybe I should open an OF account, and instead of nudes, I am going to post advanced chapters.

Sagacious_Punk

Resident solarpunk
However, they have a large portion of the market share, and there are tons of people who would support individuals, but only use patreon.
I would much love to use Ko-fi instead, but the majority of people won't even create an account or something.

Yes, they have a significant market share, although the landscape is shifting - slowly, but it does. Not only creators, but supporting fans have started abandoning the platform for other alternatives.

The best strategy currently, imo, is to have an account on Patreon and other platform(s) of choice, and signal boost those other options through secondary channels. Telling people why it would be better to support you there over Patreon.

It's mainly an awareness issue thing: people like convenience, true, yet what they don't like these days (thankfully) is seeing their money being drained by corpos, instead of going to the creators they want to support.

Not all will make the jump, but with enough repeated messaging you can at least hope to diversify your revenue channels. And if worst comes to worst (losing access to Patreon) and you have gathered a large enough following by then, you can pull off a Second Wind and just take away your core fanbase to new pastures.

Notadate

Indeed, what fuck!
-
Fun fact patreon has FUCK TON of HIGHLY ILLEGAL shit involving how do I put this, not adults. Report it, it won’t disappear.

Which is weird, and suspicious, why do they allow that vaguely disguised cest pool and not normal peoples actaully legal stuff.

[I don’t pay for patreon]

HungrySheep

I like yuri
Yeah, forced Patreon for creators sucks hard. I've wanted to swap to Ko-fi for the longest time, but no one bothers looking at anything except Patreon.