People are shit at writing elves. Period.

• Thread starter Deleted member 93348
  • Start date

Fritzer

For real, they're either "perfect," insufferable assholes who brag about their "superior" blood yet somehow a dying race—or background characters where only their big-tittied women get screen time. Even then, they’re relegated into sex objects with forgettable names for some diet Kirito MC.

You know what would be a revolutionary for the WN industry? A harem power fantasy where the female MC gets transported into a world of elf himbos as far as the eye can see. Hell, it could be the smittiest smut with a worldwide orgy as the ending for all I care. Originality is what I’m looking for.

Sorry to burst your bubble. But Originality does not sell well, no matter how much people cry about it.
As for me? I write what I want to write.
Who are you again?

Frank-9976

surrealist shortform writer
I never understood the concept behind having these classes of beings that everyone knows about that people borrow for writing a specific genre of book. Like, what is so enduring about these archetypes that results in them being copied over and over?

D

Deleted member 54065

Who are you again?
I don't know you, nor do you need to know about me. But since this is a forum, I reply. And since I replied to your thread post, you can also reply.

Let's keep it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Notadate

Sometimes I want to fucking die when aI read some of these comments

Nhatduongg

Yuyuko Saigyouji, The Dreaming Ghost
Oh how would you like my version of elves then? Spacefaring generally tree huggers who is allied with humans and use bolt action rifles despite the enemy literally using plasma.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
In the Eldritch-Verse, there are two types of universes. Naturally occurring, and manufactured.

How does one "make" a universe? Well, that's simple. You need to gather a TON of mana. But not just any mana, mana that is directed towards a specific mental construct. Currently the "real world" is chock full of mana. You just need enough people to focus on the same thought form.

Enter the "architects"

People who are hired by gods to create and design specific types of universes. So they write a story then farm it out to a bunch of websites. People read the 'story' and the process begins to form, what is known as, a Boltzmann Universe.

This universe's history unfolds EXACTLY as the story says it should. The problem is, there needs to be a balance between logical progress of the story, and the story being interesting enough for people to want to see it. But, if you have enough, the universe forms, usually at the point in the Story that the architect needs it to start, and BOOM. Instant universe.

The problem is, at that point, the universe not progresses naturally and logically. You might THINK the story should go a certain way, but if it is stupid for Bella to leap off a cliff, she doesn't. Now this doesn't sound TOO bad, except some stories are so poorly written that if said story becomes a Boltzmann Universe, it almost instantly falls apart. Manufactured universes are very fragile and must be carefully maintained.

Sometimes Fan fiction creeps into the design process and you get strange artifacts. Every guard in a prison named after the characters of Happy Days, for example. And sometimes, if you create a group in your Boltzmann Universe to be very advanced, they sometimes figure out they were just created five minutes ago, and are NOT thousands of years old.

Enter the Elves of Boltzmann Universe: Avalon

Unfortunately the Universe in question was a rush job. It was slapped together to act as a 'trench-line' against an invasion of demons. Yes, they held off the first invasion, but then the demons pulled back to regroup and plan a new assault. This gave the Elves time to do some checking and figure out at the end of the war, "Holy Fuck Were only three years old!" Furthermore, with some astral projecting, they managed to figure out where the original book was posted, read it, figured out they were completely fucked if they remained where they were, and, in mass, as an entire race, packed up and LEFT.

And so people for the past two hundred years have been wondering what the fuck happened to the elves. The Answer? TRYING TO KEEP THE UNIVERSE FROM UNRAVELING BECAUSE THE "HACK WRITER/UNIVERSE ARCHITECT" CUT TOO MANY CORNERS TO PUBLISH ON TIME.

That... is my elves.

Premier

I never understood the concept behind having these classes of beings that everyone knows about that people borrow for writing a specific genre of book. Like, what is so enduring about these archetypes that results in them being copied over and over?

Ease of reference.

If I say my MC comes across a tribe of Goblins I don't really need to explain anything. Everyone kinda gets what they look like, their attitude, and even their status in the world and only expects me to explain if it's different from the common idea. Like, say Goblins actually run the world or are super smart.

If I say my MC comes across a tribe of Misants I'm going to have to explain a lot more. Because I just made them up and nobody has a clue what they are.