Pinning reviews.

Mortrexo

I think it would be interesting to allow authors to pin one review. New reviews that are quite thorough can be hidden because of a lack of likes, even while shouting them out in the chapter and appearing on the top for a while. To avoid one of those the author might like a lot disappearing, having an option to pin one review on the top can be lovely.

Just one, though. More than one, and the whole "like" system might as well not exist, hahaha.

SailusGebel

Why do you think it is a bad idea? The option to pin comments already exists, right? This one is not much different.
Because authors who are not good-natured would pin reviews that praise the novel while glossing over any downside. I might pin a three star review, you might pin it, some other authors might do it, but authors who only care about views and profit will do what authors on WN do.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Because authors who are not good-natured would pin reviews that praise the novel while glossing over any downside. I might pin a three star review, you might pin it, some other authors might do it, but authors who only care about views and profit will do what authors on WN do.
I see this as a positive thing. The review will say *pinned review*, and you can see how bad-natured or dishonest the author is. It would be especially telling if the next review down was a 2 star review that was more coherent.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
It's no different from the back cover of a novel. Most readers just want to see what the novel is about. If they really want to find out if a novel is good/bad they check the stars. Also, fuck the readers, Author power.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Again, it will be especially telling to you, me, OP, someone else. It won't be telling to the majority of readers. My point is, don't let authors manipulate how their works are percieved more than they already can.
Fair. Readers can already filter reviews based on how many likes the review receives. Though, I'm not sure it works properly. I tried it just now on one of the trending novels, and 2 newer reviews with less likes showed first before the one with the most likes.

Mortrexo

Respectfully, you have not read the entire post. Thinking of this problem, I wrote that only one post can be pinned per novel by the author. Thus showing just the first review as pinned and the rest as they are today. You can, therefore, have the contrast between the reader's thoughts and the author's thoughts through reviews made by readers. An author can't leave a self-review, after all.

What do you think if only one review could be pinned?

SailusGebel

Respectfully, you have not read the entire post. Thinking of this problem, I wrote that only one post can be pinned per novel by the author.

I might pin a three star review,
Review. Not plural. I read the whole thing.

I also addressed this.
Thus showing just the first review as pinned and the rest as they are today. You can, therefore, have the contrast between the reader's thoughts and the author's thoughts through reviews made by readers.
It won't be telling to the majority of readers.
To parapharse this, majority won't see any contrast.
Nothing changes since I answered after reading the whole thing. I would also repeat myself.
My point is, don't let authors manipulate how their works are percieved more than they already can.

J_Chemist

Agree with the Princess

The attention span and average effort of the typical reader are both abysmal. If a story has reviews, they aren't reading all of them. None of us do unless there are maybe 4 or 5 and don't lie to me because I know you don't. Thus, if an Author can pin the favorite, then they automatically skew the viewpoint of potential readers to see only the grandeur of their work, rather than how shit it may be.

Stars will reflect, they always do, so a 5 star review won't outweigh the overall 2.5 star score. But it will still be guaranteed to be seen by the majority. And once that 5 Star so ks in it's biases, they may not come out.

Sure, if their work is shit but they spotlight the one good review of their work, it'll be seen as a dick move. But the typical reader either 1. Doesn't care, or 2. Probably is too stupid to notice/realize it anyway. It's a rather frank way to put it but your typical reader isn't someone who's making big brain moves out here unless that's the reader base you're targeting. Depending on your genre, your reader base likely prefers chewing rocks rather than playing chess.

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
The attention span and average effort of the typical reader are both abysmal. If a story has reviews, they aren't reading all of them. None of us do unless there are maybe 4 or 5 and don't lie to me because I know you don't. Thus, if an Author can pin the favorite, then they automatically skew the viewpoint of potential readers to see only the grandeur of their work, rather than how shit it may be.
Given the way series pages are laid out, chances are they aren't going to read any of them.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I think pinning three reviews would be great, but yes, it is a great idea!