Prologue Length

zeryn

Hi guys!

So, my prologue for my story is pretty short, but all the chapters after are generally between 1.5k - 2k words.
Question: Can a short prologue portray future chapters as being short and throw readers off of wanting to read it? I see on the stats that some people come in and just leave at 1/?? chapters. I also understand that can just be checking it out and then not being drawn in and/or just not suiting their needs.
But could a short prologue also do that? Would it be better to rewrite it/add on to it to give more of a premise on what it is about? I always thought a prologue just served as a a larger synopsis or something.

Thanks in advance. <3

Azrie

Redemption Seeker
Well I honestly do not know, I think it is just about it being interesting. My story's prologue is awfully written yet its interesting. I have been told that despite the God awful writing they kept reading and found the story enjoyable. Then again about lengths... I think if it's 900+ words it's fine, just don't do a 300 word prologue like my first prologue version...

EDIT: I personally see the prologue as a glimpse of the story, or what it could be.

Eukro

Most stories are better off without a prologue. I always find prologues to be too long and boring. Writers like to jam a bunch of world building crap in there that makes no difference at all to the story. The best prologues are ones that breath life into a central character of the story, either the main character or one of the characters the main character will often be guided or pulled around by.

Pistachio

That depends on you, really. Mine's like 76 words only but for me, that's only short because I've set what I want the prologue to be and the kind of mood I want the readers to feel for my next chapters (or maybe, in the whole novel itself).

It's up to you what kind of prologue you want. Is it a standalone event wherein its effects can be seen here and there throughout your novel? Is it an overview of the culture or the world? If it is the former, then probably showing the event in one paragraph (or two) is enough but if it's the latter then it might be lengthy.

Anyway, prologues aren't that popular these days in published novels and more so in webnovels so it's fine if you won't put one.

TLCsDestiny

If u lose people from the prologue I wouldn't be blaming u mate. The idea of the prologue isn't about ur audience anyway! It's ur book! Do as u will with it!!

S-Scherr

I believe that whatever you post at the start of your story works as the first impression. A prologue, especially a long one, can turn people off your tale if it's not done carefully, i.e., some unnecessary history lesson full of names and places no one will remember... and all that before the 'real' story has even started. If you must have one, try treating it like a bonus tale that sets the tone for what follows. Maybe use a single intriguing character to develop an impression in the reader's mind, or describe one interesting place where an essential moment in your history is highlighted rather than endless exposition just to set it all up. Prologues, to me, often come off as lazy or impatient writing used by some writers to hurry up and throw all the boring stuff out there right away so they can jump right into the action, believing they've explained everything else in the prologue.

A short prologue can be most effective as a teaser if you, again, focus on one central moment of relevance and get the most out of it to make the reader want to know more.

Also, many prologues can be done away with simply by using the 'exploring and explaining as you go' method, using characters we meet to share their spin on those histories as the story progresses. I'd prefer reading that over the prologue any day.

Just my two cents ;)

zeryn

Thanks so much for more insight. I guess I will keep my prologue the same length as it is and does a lot of what everyone is mentioning. <3

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
I think short prologues are ideal. After all, prologues are sort of the warm-up to the rest of your story. Also, is there a need to write a prologue at all? You might want to consider that. If the purpose of your prologue is because you aim to introduce your readers to the world of the story, then you might as well just jump into chapter 1. I mean, it's true that one of the main purposes of a prologue is to set-up your story but that doesn't mean info dumping about the basic plot of the whole novel.

I think an effective prologue is one that foreshadows an event that can happen in the latter part of your story. Or, at the very least, it foreshadows a big turning point for your character. Like the prologue of Eragon. In it the reader doesn't even realize it's the whole plot unfolding before their eyes when elves fight for their lives to save a dragon egg that would later spark the journey of Eragon, the titular character.

I also read somewhere that introducing the main character in a prologue is a big no-no. Granted, I don't know if this is an ironclad rule writers follow but since prologues are supposed to allude to certain events that will happen along the story, the main character introduced in the prologue is not likely the character you'd be seeing in chapter one. Does that make sense?

Finally, if the prologue is going to slam you right into the story anyway, just forget writing it as a prologue and just make it as chapter 1. That's what I think anyway.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Also, some readers actually skip prologues. You might want to think about that tidbit. If your readers skip your prologue, will the rest of the story make sense?

Last edited: