Putting laptop into sleep at succession?

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
I heard that staying before your monitor too long is bad for your health. So I bought this timer and keep it with me all the time when doing homework, coding, writing or just playing games.

I set the alarm every 35 minutes, so whenever it rings, I would stop doing whatever I do with my laptop and turn it to sleep. For the next 15 minutes I'll take some rest and do some light excercises.

And I repeat that till I'm done with whatever shit I am doing.

The question is... Is it safe to repeatedly put your laptop to sleep multiple times in a row like that?

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
yeah, it is, unless you have an SSD and your hibernation file and pagefile are in it, then it'll be dumping all your ram capacity in and out of your SSD every single time you put it to sleep, which can shorten its life by A LOT.

(If you only have an SSD or you have your SSD as your C: Drive and do not know how to change it, 100% it is set inside it.)

LotsChrono

yeah, it is, unless you have an SSD and your hibernation file and pagefile are in it, then it'll be dumping all your ram capacity in and out of your SSD every single time you put it to sleep, which can shorten its life by A LOT.

(If you only have an SSD or you have your SSD as your C: Drive and do not know how to change it, 100% it is set inside it.)
Me with an SSD who always puts my laptop to sleep: 👀

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
Me with an SSD who always puts my laptop to sleep: 👀
If you do it like... once a day on a 512gb SSD with 8gb of ram it's a no-brainer.

But he's saying he does it tens of times every day. I was a little too quick b4 but I'll explain it now.

Imagine your SSD is 128gb and almost full (which it probably is) and you have like, 30gigs free only and have 16GB of ram. (an ssd sets aside 10% of it's storage to prevent this kind of wear... but in constant write loads like this...)
every 3 times you put it to sleep, you will be putting those cells through a full write cycle again, every time. In a year, if you put it to sleep 10 times every day, that's well over 1K write cycles! A typical MLC SSD only handles 3K Cycles before those cells fail completely. So, your ssd would only last around 3 years under this immense load. That is, a HIGH TIER ONE! TLC SSDs which are the cheapest will fail after only 300 to 1K Write cycles, so you could be toasting your SSD within a year or even 4 months.