Review Swap

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
I need some grease to get the ball rolling.
Let's do advanced reviews (You can spice it up, or use the conventional RR format). I'll write it up and post it on the thread first, tell me if you want me to put it up on your story.

Please do a review on:
Genre : Action / Adventure / Fantasy​
Include in the review:
  • What you liked about the story
  • What could be improved
NOTE: I'll read at LEAST five chapters of your fiction, assuming wordcount per chapter is 2000.

I'll review three fictions for now. I'll list them down below. Let's see if I can do a few more after that.

Review Queue:
  1. Failed Hero’s Second Chance in a Magicless World
  2. Space Patroller Miya
  3. -

Last edited:

killwrites

Need motivation
Im down for a review swap :blob_melt: feel free to choose whichever catches your interest in my signature

DonHon

Cat enthusiast
mmmm 2000 word count... i want to reach

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
Your chapters don't have to be 2000 each, I'm just basing it off that.

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
Sounds fun. I'll swap with you in return for my book Space Patroller Miya. Do you also want me to write the review here and then post it on your reviews page? -

Overview - I honestly found the book very inviting yet sensical, to say the least. Easy-going plot for readers who aren't experienced with the playing themes, yet others who have encountered this same narrative will be surprised by the work put into the story and characters.

Writing Quality: I'm a stickler when it comes to spelling, and I'm happy to say this hadn't had any that I picked up. The tenses were pleasing, the grammar was pleasing, and the diction and sentence structure flowed very well. This is my first time reading in the Third-person omniscient POV, and I was surprised at how well it worked. However, most of the praise should be given to the writer, who provided excellent thought dialogues and inner intentions and played a great role as a reliable author. The details of how the characters looked were a bit bland, so I couldn't visualize much, but the settings were given a good amount of explanation, just enough to map it out for myself. My favorite part about action books, the fight scenes, wasn't all too bad but moved in a slow motion manner with actions seemingly stopping in time for dialogues, thoughts, and reactions to catch up (sort of like a Carlo Zen, Saga of Tanya the Evil, style, which isn't bad).

Character Design: The characters seem interesting, each with distinct personalities that can be put together through their actions, words, and inner thoughts. Even though it's explained previously in the first chapter that the characters changed significantly, I could already get similar conflicts between the MC and female supporting character, Ariene, to anime like Zero no Tsukaima or Shakugan no Shana (meaning strong and respectable young girl drawn smitten due to male lead's unorthodox acts, or just Tsunderes). Though this type of dynamic is a bit played out, and readers familiar with the trope can figure out where the most prominent love interest will go, it doesn't take away from the main aspect of the story. Nevertheless, the dialogue flowed smoothly, and knowing how all the characters reacted was like watching the folding scenes of a play or anime, which I loved.

Story Development: As read in the title of the book, the plot follows a regression from the MCs past to what's happening in his now future's present. However, around chapter three, he comes to the realization that because he knows what's going to happen ad openly changes the outcomes of significant events, it will eventually lead to forced results (Back to the Future moment, lol). I haven't read that deep into the story, but it will be interesting to know how he'll previous knowledge will come into play when everything is thrown into uncertainty. But the story seems to follow a 'because, then so' format where things are either aforementioned or explained after the fact, so there shouldn't be any loopholes as long as the author keeps that up.

Conclusion - Great story for those who want an intriguing tale of magic from the perspective of a heroic lead gone back in time in anticipation of changing his uncertain future!

I usually follow up with World Design, but I decided that five chapters were enough for a reasonable review and didn't want to give my perspective on something that needed additional information to collect. You can message me whether you want me to post it on your reviews tab, or it can stay on this page. :s_wink:

Last edited:

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
Sounds fun. I'll swap with you in return for my book Space Patroller Miya. Do you also want me to write the review here and then post it on your reviews page? -

Overview - I honestly found the book very inviting yet sensical, to say the least. Easy-going plot for readers who aren't experienced with the playing themes, yet others who have encountered this same narrative will be surprised by the work put into the story and characters.

Writing Quality: I'm a stickler when it comes to spelling, and I'm happy to say this hadn't had any that I picked up. The tenses were pleasing, the grammar was pleasing, and the diction and sentence structure flowed very well. This is my first time reading in the Third-person omniscient POV, and I was surprised at how well it worked. However, most of the praise should be given to the writer, who provided excellent thought dialogues and inner intentions and played a great role as a reliable author. The details of how the characters looked were a bit bland, so I couldn't visualize much, but the settings were given a good amount of explanation, just enough to map it out for myself. My favorite part about action books, the fight scenes, wasn't all too bad but moved in a slow motion manner with actions seemingly stopping in time for dialogues, thoughts, and reactions to catch up (sort of like a Carlo Zen, Saga of Tanya the Evil, style, which isn't bad).

Character Design: The characters seem interesting, each with distinct personalities that can be put together through their actions, words, and inner thoughts. Even though it's explained previously in the first chapter that the characters changed significantly, I could already get similar conflicts between the MC and female supporting character, Ariene, to anime like Zero no Tsukaima or Shakugan no Shana (meaning strong and respectable young girl drawn smitten due to male lead's unorthodox acts, or just Tsunderes). Though this type of dynamic is a bit played out, and readers familiar with the trope can figure out where the most prominent love interest will go, it doesn't take away from the main aspect of the story. Nevertheless, the dialogue flowed smoothly, and knowing how all the characters reacted was like watching the folding scenes of a play or anime, which I loved.

Story Development: As read in the title of the book, the plot follows a regression from the MCs past to what's happening in his now future's present. However, around chapter three, he comes to the realization that because he knows what's going to happen ad openly changes the outcomes of significant events, it will eventually lead to forced results (Back to the Future moment, lol). I haven't read that deep into the story, but it will be interesting to know how he'll previous knowledge will come into play when everything is thrown into uncertainty. But the story seems to follow a 'because, then so' format where things are either aforementioned or explained after the fact, so there shouldn't be any loopholes as long as the author keeps that up.

Conclusion - Great story for those who want an intriguing tale of magic from the perspective of a heroic lead gone back in time in anticipation of changing his uncertain future!

I usually follow up with World Design, but I decided that five chapters were enough for a reasonable review and didn't want to give my perspective on something that needed additional information to collect. You can message me whether you want me to post it on your reviews tab, or it can stay on this page. :s_wink:
Oh, yes please do post your reviews on my fiction. Thank you for your time! And I will get to your story in a bit :D

killwrites

Need motivation
Let's do advanced reviews (You can spice it up, or use the conventional RR format). I'll write it up and post it on the thread first, tell me if you want me to put it up on your story.

Please do a review on:
Story : Regarding a Returning King's MagicGenre : Action / Adventure / FantasyInclude in the review:
  • What could be improved
NOTE: I'll read at LEAST five chapters of your fiction, assuming wordcount per chapter is 2000.

I'll review three fictions for now. I'll list them down below. Let's see if I can do a few more after that.

Review Queue:
  2. Space Patroller Miya
  3. -

I wrote my review for your story :blobtaco: when you're done with mine please post it on my story too, thankss!

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
Im down for a review swap :blob_melt: feel free to choose whichever catches your interest in my signature
Failed Hero's Second Chance in a Magicless World follows the story of Avery as she transmigrates (Isekai in layman's terms) from another world into our little ol' earth. There's some action in the beginning but the story ultimately turns into a slice-of-life about how a former Shero was reincarnated into modern earth with a third leg.

I liked seeing the culture shared between our asian countries (That Gong Cha mention was fun.)

Killwrites' style of writing are at times beautiful, informative, and flows really well. From her(I assume) dialogue, inserts of inner dialogue, to her small expositions—I find none out of place. However, The writing is first-person, which is a style mostly used to allow readers to relate to a character more closely. I expected to see more of Avery's personality shine.

This is where I find the story falls short—animation of its leading cast.

I enjoyed reading the first two chapters, but slightly trudged along the following chapters. As with the transfer from the doomed fantasy world to modern earth, understandably there would be a sharp decline in tension. A larger than life personality shown through first-person would work to add color to the sudden switch to the mundaneness of modern life.

If however, the main character had gotten this reserved gray personality from his time as a shero, then I believe it would be great if the female lead was utilized to pull out those colors from him.

This series if fairly new, so a few tweaks to allow it to truly stand out would be easy to make.

-------------------Above this I will post as a review

“Just classic bubble tea will do.” I turned to glance at the two girls. “Do you two want to get anything?”
“I’ve never tried bubble tea before,” Terasia admitted sheepishly. “What’s the best drink to get?”

This passage, and subsequent ones—I feel Terasia's reaction to things as a demon lord too tame, almost natural. It would be nice if Avery were given a few more unusual things to react to. Maybe have Terasia do things that are common sense in the old world but otherwise unusual here.

---------------
Footnotes at the end of the chapter for words or sentences straying from English would be very much appreciated.

“Nabei, this siao lang’s ang moh so good. Wa em zai yi gong simi sai.”
“Look at this chibai talking crap to Brother Kong.”

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
Space Patroller Miya is a science fiction fantasy that—from reading the initial few chapters—has the feel of an already fully established narrative. Written in first person, the series is suitable for readers looking to jump and immerse themselves into a different world without being drawn back or taken out of immersion by hearing something too familiar.

Critique : It's been awhile since I read writing that's in present tense. It was a smooth read, except maybe for a few instances where I had to read back because a paragraph break seemed to be absent. Smooth, with regards to its point of view. What I found myself having a hard time with when reading the story was with the terminology and jargon.

—Imagine being a foreigner wanting to insert yourself into a conversation between two locals. You're all speaking in english, however, the other two are speaking in half-english. You enjoy the conversation, yet, sometimes feel lost as you keep hearing these unknown terms. That's how I felt while reading.

The world(galaxy) itself is incredibly intriguing, but it's a lot to take in. I would take a break in between reading chapters, but then I would forget about for example, Ya'valtians, what do they look like again? Words get lost within the many terms being constantly introduced, hence the foreigner analogy. I propose a glossary for the many terms used, that readers can maybe look back on if they decide to take a break while reading.

Praise : The words/terms I mentioned above aren't spoken in exposition, but are seamlessly inserted into dialogue and story. Being introduced to the slurry of new words didn't feel at all any jarring, rather, when reading you would feel they come naturally, which is a really great job done by WinterTimeCrime. Following Miya's(protagonist) conversation with others made me feel like an eager foreigner wanting to relate more and jump into the conversation with them.

I love how the story establishes Miya's personality firmly within the earlier chapters. Usually, you get to understand the core of a character throughout multiple dialogue and scenarios, however, during the initial scene after she kills Aoi, you immediately see get a glimpse of where her virtues lie, through the way she handled Yua, Aoi's daughter.

I enjoyed reading through Space Patroller Miya, and although I said all that stuff in critique—learn the language—even without the glossary, if you continue reading and immerse yourself in the book's culture, you'll get used to it.

I see the hard work put into this series and I do hope it gets more recognition.

I need some grease to get the ball rolling.

Please do a review on:
Genre : Action / Adventure / Fantasy​
Include in the review:
  • What could be improved

Review Queue:
  2. Space Patroller Miya
  3. -
Is this post still open? I'd love to do a review swap with you.

MisterOp

Hello!
If you are interested in review swapping, please do it for me and I'll do the same.
I'll give an honest constructive review after reading at least 5+ chapters of your novel :)
If possible, please also provide comments, add to library, and such, and I will also do the same.
Simply reply with the word "Done!" if you've done it, I'll do it to your novel ASAP!
My novel link --> https://www.scribblehub.com/series/647938/i-also-level-up/

Hello!
If you are interested in review swapping, please do it for me and I'll do the same.
I'll give an honest constructive review after reading at least 5+ chapters of your novel :)
If possible, please also provide comments, add to library, and such, and I will also do the same.
Simply reply with the word "Done!" if you've done it, I'll do it to your novel ASAP!
My novel link --> https://www.scribblehub.com/series/647938/i-also-level-up/
Done!