Writing Romance subplots and why I'd never write them

TotallyHuman

Part 1: introduction
This thread is a mix of a rant, a blog, and an immature analysis of a cliche.
Reading a few light and web novels in the past few days that had romance subplots for either the main character or a side character, I came to the realisation of why despite me generally hating romance in stories, I am a lover of the genre itself.
Though these conclusions might seem obvious to another reader, I hope they will come in useful to some.
Part 2: examples
First, I'll describe an experience I had with the most recent novel I read.
I will not name the novels to avoid drawing ire and discuss only the important points about them vaguely enough that it won't really point out any particular story.
The first novel was a good adventure, fantasy, slice of life story. It had interesting characters with strong motivations and good arcs, they felt real, to an extent, which is very rare. The author clearly put much love and effort into crafting this story and as a reader I enjoyed it very much.
There was a supporting character from the main supporting cast who had a lot of screen time, and he was clearly in love with the main character. It was from the start, but it was treated like a background plot for a future time. The main character themselves were rather ignorant of feelings of others, though they were aware of how the supporting character felt. It feels justified that the supporting character finally gets an arc to clarify their feelings and progress at last, right?
Wrong! As I said, the main character was dense and not mature enough emotionally to start a romance arc. "But they could grow through such an arc and mature emotionally", I hear you object. Again, not really. The main character was immature but there was not a single instant, not a single episode, not a single hint that their denseness(density? I feel "denseness" fits better because "density" is an actual word used for other things) dragged anybody ever, the supporting character included, down. Much more than that, the romance subplot began in the middle of another plot that WAS actually important, dulling down the waters and feeling out of place and hastily-crafted.
EVEN WORSE, the author took another character and made them a love rival. They were a childhood friend of the main character and were in love with them for many years but had move to another city, but now came back, yadayada, most of us read the same cliche a bunch of times already. It was quickly slapped on, and the, god forbid, the shoujo-esque love triangle with a dense protagonist and two handsome men vying for their love, began. Like invasion of Poland, it came quick, came unexpected, ruined much and did no good to anybody. At that point, I had to stop reading despite previously having loved the novel.
What lesson is there to take? One I took was not to start a romance arc when it will not benefit the plot.

Another example is an ACTUAL ROMANCE novel, that had an awful romance subplot.
The story went like this: main character and their boss get together. Main character has a friend (an actual friend, no secret crushes or such) who's neither minor nor important to the story. The appeared every now and again and were pretty cool and had their own thing going.
That friend was the unfortunate victim of a romance subplot.
There was another character that was introduced earlier. They were less important to the plot than the friend character but they were there and whatever.
The unimportant character had a broken heart, so they ended up almost having a one-night stand with the friend character and then they were reintroduced to the friend character and fell in love.
I stopped reading a few chapters in, as I watched the agonising subplot in the background.
I won't be describing it, I'll just get to the problems I have with it.
This romance subplot doesn't fall into the issues the first case had: the friend character was mature and, more so, open to the idea of starting a relationship. The plot line doesn't get in the way of the main arc as it doesn't take up too much space nor does it interrupt anything.
I have a small problem with the entire drunken one-night stand thing, since it was not necessary but I'll give it to the author as it isn't important and doesn't get in the way of the story. Gotta make the pairing feel fated I guess?
What bugs and budgers me about it is that the friend character began acting unlike they previously did. I guess it was to create tension and drama, as the side characters going "Hey, wanna date?" "OK!" would be too uneventful, but that came at the expense of the characters.
Because they were mature and had their own thing going, and there was no real problem romance would solve nor was there any easy to understand and immediately cash in on value in the friend character starting a relationship.
Thus it made little sense in the context of the story to have them pursue the unimportant character. It could be solved by writing up a few additional details but then this plot line - this plot line about not too important side characters - would drag on. The author did the next logical thing and had the unimportant character do the pursuit.
Now, the one with a problem to solve would be the unimportant character. If you remember, they had a broken heart. Were the friend character their usual self, the difference in their respective values to each other would make the unimportant character seem like they were patronised and taken pity upon from a superior position - which couldn't happen, of course.
So there had to be created artificial value for the unimportant character to the friend character, which is why the friend character had to be dragged down a notch. Now, while heartbroken, the unimportant character looked more experienced and mature and the scales even out. But the plot line became shit, in my opinion.
What lessons are to be taken here? I took this lesson: always prepare some sort of value that could be uncovered from a romance in a subplot.

Part 3: conclusions
Those who bothered to read through this long long tirade surely noticed how I stressed words like "importance", "value" etc. It's not hard to notice that these subplots could be easily taken out of the story and it would, if not benefit the plot, at the very least not affect it.
That is the first flaw of most romantic subplots I've read. The authors seemed to have slapped the romance subplots because, maybe, they had no ideas on what to write so they needed to fill the space, or maybe because readers forced them with ships(that ever happens?) or they just felt like doing it. There was no previously established need for such a plot to begin, and the chain of cause and effect of the narrative suffered.
The second flaw is one I've already mentioned. At least one character in each subplot didn't have any need for a relationship and had nothing to gain from it. The writer makes a character engage in a romantic relationship because the readers dig it, even if it has nothing to do with these characters' character arcs.
It's like there's some kind of need for a character to have some kind of romantic entanglement for a story to be complete, even if it has no fitting place to accommodate a romantic subplot.
It gets worse with side characters, since readers rarely care about them, and their romantic developments bring no value to the story and are just there to be there, like an item on a checklist. Though it is also often a problem with the protagonists too, as stories usually focus on only certain aspects of them, and rarely on the characters in their entirety. The hero gets the beauty but I don't feel like it matters as I only know the hero as the hero, as the badass who climbed into the heart of a huge robot with only a crowbar and a knife to save the planet, not as a person who has a life outside all the robot-crawling and crowbar-swinging, and the consequences of them getting the beauty are not important to me. Again, it's just an item on a checklist. One that doesn't really have a good fitting place in the story. Often time they make me frustrated instead. That happens when I get attached to a character and they get forced into a romance subplot. It's almost like watching your friend get forced into an arranged marriage, but they also get hypnotised into liking this idea.
I'm not saying all romance in fiction is bad. Novels with plots motivated by romance can be a treat, and novels where romance is motivated by the plot can be a treat too.
The title of this thread is "Romance subplots and why I'd never write them", so I'm not saying that you shouldn't write them. Its just that I would personally not do that, as writing a novel with a good romance subplot is much harder than writing a good romance novel with subplots about other things.

SailusGebel

I'm not sure I understood everything you wrote, but I think this whole thing boils down to how you see(perceive?) things. If you like a certain thing in a novel, you can find a way to justify it. If you don't like a certain thing, you can find a way to criticize it. It's all about perspective, the way you were raised, your experience, etc. For you, it's a forced relationship, while for someone else, it came naturally. Btw, I'm not trying to argue and say you are wrong. You do you.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I feel like romance subplots are nice in that they can develop the characters more and that this can be used to show a different facet of them than the one you've seen so far~

I dunno, I don't get much of your problems overall... Though maybe it's just because I like romance in general~

That said, considering that the things I'm more interested in writing are romance and slice of life with the MC being either a child or a mother... I think there is actually a pretty big chance I won't write any romance subplots either... I'll probably either write something focused on romance, or something that simply doesn't have space for romance~

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
All my stories are romance-heavy before any other genre, so I know nothing about subplots involving romance.:blob_blank:

I also love romance stories. To me, a delightful story must have a romance involved somewhere. Main or subplot, I guess. Otherwise, it isn't worth reading for me or it turns boring. Friendship is great and all, but is not worth investing in for me. I like the passion involved in a good hot-blooded romance. But that is an opinion, and I am a hopeless romantic. :blob_aww:

Though, there are romances that feel forced and can come out as cliche. :blob_melt:

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
The thing many people don’t realize is that love is not somthing to be disregarded. Love can destroy empires or create them. The most important thing about love is the necessity of fear. Fear for their saftey, fear of angering them, fear of losing them. Love is a timed bomb that must be appeased not thrown to the gutters else death follow. Many may not realize that finding love that last is hard and the bond that forms once found is harder than concrete.

LABmaiL

Friend of All Hats :)
I can get what you're saying. I've found many books with great setups, lovable characters, and amazing settings, only to find that the characters all suddenly forget their personalities because the readers saw a female MC and cried for a GL/harem subplot. Don't get me wrong- I enjoy GL just as much as anybody else (though I am quite a bit less partial to harem stories). However, some people only fit it in for the extra tag, and that can completely break a character. It isn't natural for the MC whose motivations and interests have nothing to do with romance to suddenly completely switch gears and see a long-time companion completely differently to how they have previously. I'm not gonna namedrop, but a very common offender of this would be genderswap stories. I understand that somebody may think quite differently after being forced to adjust to different societal norms, however learning to deal with a different body is separate from seeing your best friend for many years in a completely different light. If I'm friends with somebody as one gender and I suddenly switch genders, I shouldn't also suddenly switch personalities or interests. A common excuse is that 'the main character has become more aware of their feelings after switching/going through a major ordeal,' and although such circumstances may make somebody more appreciative of what they have, I feel that these thoughts should amplify or correct a character's personality over time, not have them suddenly feel or act completely differently. Romance and friendship, although related, are very different and thus should not suddenly baton pass into each other. Sorry for the long-winded rant. I'm not an author, and I don't claim to be one. :blob_hide:

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Dense protagonists shouldn't exist imo... At least on the level of JP harem MCs. As for the rest of your essay I don't read enough romance novels to agree or disagree.

Ral

People fall in love so having romance subplot in not bad.

My problem with romance subplots (or any subplots really) is when they overpower the story. I'm reading a fun fantasy story, suddenly, there are chapters after chapters of romance. The fantasy element fades into the background. Can we go back to the fun fantasy part now?

Seriously, if you want to write a romance story then write a romance story.

Another problem with romance subplots is that they are often extraneous. Many romance subplots are just not incorporated into the story well. Might as well not exist.

But the main problem is that, many just don't know how to write romance well. In fact, their writing is horrible. In my experience, they write romance stories like how fanfic writers writes their ships. Horrible.

Not that I hate romance subplots in stories. I would love to have romance subplots in story (or any subplot really) if they are well written and improves the story. But often, that is just not the case. More often than not, the romance is just tacked on and have no reason to be there, awfully written and just makes the story worse.

Last edited:

skillet

a frying pan
It's like there's some kind of need for a character to have some kind of romantic entanglement for a story to be complete, even if it has no fitting place to accommodate a romantic subplot.
YO I SO AGREE WITH THIS

So basically what I get from your rant (thank you, btw, that was a nice way to procrastinate lol) is that you hate cliche shoved-into-the-story romance subplots and cliche shoujo love triangle antics/misunderstandings/meaningless and completely unnecessary prolonged drama in romantic storylines. As a lover of (well-made) romance, I completely, completely agree. I still think there are romantic subplots that make a story really really good + surprises me in the best kind of way, but yeah, the examples you listed here seem terrible to have to go through.

(this part is a bit random lol but) the first example kinda reminded me of those slice-of-life stories that you read for the slice-of-life-ness (like oh! she's going to be an apothecary! cool!) and then the more you read it, the more bigger the scale it gets-- chaotic and drawn-out and frankly frustrating to read. Like yo, don't just drop the their world is actually going to die plotline on us when we started with 'oh is she going to be able to sleep early today like she wants to??' problems!
...I'm guessing that this kind of feeling is exactly what you felt about that romance in your first example: 'I didn't sign up for this. Please take me back to what I liked first about it. ._.' In which I mean, I feel ya.

Anyhow, as I've said before, I do tend to like (well-done) romantic subplots in the end. Lol.

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
It's almost like watching your friend get forced into an arranged marriage, but they also get hypnotised into liking this idea.
I'm not saying all romance in fiction is bad. Novels with plots motivated by romance can be a treat, and novels where romance is motivated by the plot can be a treat too.
Hmm. The problem seems to be a difference in perception. Some stories use romance as a plot driving tool. For someone who thinks a book should have a plot and nothing else, then that's probably the 'ideal romance'.

It's a bit hypocritical of me to say, but I like to see romance as a world building tool, not a plot device. It's something that's meant to add realism to the story, not to make your characters jump through hoops. In real life, a lot of people like to look for and be in relationships, so characters that pursue romance are more relatable. Sometimes, people just like hanging out together, regardless of any external reason or their own motivations and desires.

It can definitely be hard to write that realistically though, since anyone who doesn't like it just has to pull the curtain aside and say, "You author, you're doing something to my favorite character!" I guess it's a question of suspension of disbelief? :sneaky: Maybe it's hard to believe in romance when you can't find it in real life? (I'm joking, don't kill me.)
A common excuse is that 'the main character has become more aware of their feelings after switching/going through a major ordeal,' and although such circumstances may make somebody more appreciative of what they have, I feel that these thoughts should amplify or correct a character's personality over time, not have them suddenly feel or act completely differently.
That excuse is a little... Off the mark? There's a saying, 'You have to love yourself before you can love someone else.' A lot of gender bender is about trans characters, who don't love themselves until they get the body they want. So it's easy for them to push aside any romantic feelings since they can't imagine someone else loving them when they hate themselves.
On the other side of the equation, of course it would be difficult for a character to be interested in their best friend who isn't of the gender that they prefer. Suddenly finding them to be of that gender will always trigger a 'what if' reaction. I think it might be more interesting if every single story didn't end up taking that what if and turning it into a 'lets try', but that's just my personal preference.

An author who can't maintain their character's personality, or who doesn't have a specific reason to change that personality will probably always upset their readers though, yeah. Then again, suddenly finding someone you like can easily change a person's personality. So it's a matter of skill.
(this part is a bit random lol but) the first example kinda reminded me of those slice-of-life stories that you read for the slice-of-life-ness (like oh! she's going to be an apothecary! cool!) and then the more you read it, the more bigger the scale it gets-- chaotic and drawn-out and frankly frustrating to read. Like yo, don't just drop the their world is actually going to die plotline on us when we started with 'oh is she going to be able to sleep early today like she wants to??' problems
I hate that. I have a special draw towards the Alchemist Shop MC, for some reason. Even tried to write one or two. I have yet to read one though. They all inevitably get chased out of the shop in three chapters and become a cliche adventure story instead.

Mysticant

Resident Ant
I cannot fully comprehend this speech, but as some may mention. People have different expectations of romance, though most would probably not like dense protagonists. I won't fault most stories, I would just say that the author's take on romance just does not mesh with my expectations of it in that scenario. I see romance as a way to develop characters, to build certain faults or ideas on relationships etc, as you mentioned it is a sub-plot for a reason. What I dislike the most is when people push the subplot over the main plot too much, like when it is a fantasy but due to romance, the author forces too many scenarios on romance.

Tropic_Panda

Long time ago, I read a slice-of-life romance novela (20k words). It doesn't have plot or sub-plots, only focus on interaction between a couple and there are a lot of dark moments.

However, its writen so damn gooood that a goof who hated romance story with passion like me, cried, angry, and torn apart when read it. Because the story, at some point I also start to thought, 'Maybe, I need to start a relationship so my life become a little meaning full.'

Okay. . . umm. . . what I want to say is, perhaps, author who write romance as sub-genre, don't need sub-plots to make a romance in their work. Just using the main plot and slowly deepen the interaction (feeling, understanding, burden sharing, etc.) between two or three character until it becomes love and conflict, then at some point arrived at final decission to become lover or just best friend, while the main plot keep moving forward.

I mean, in main plot i believed there are would be a lot of moment (usually in crisis, or even in peacefull moment if the author is good) when author can united/clicked two or more feeling in impactfull way without dragged the scene or created specific scene for the sake of romance.

So people who don't enjoy romance like me, will continued reading happily and were entertain because the main plot not stagnant.

Well, please excuse my rant and rumbling.