Royal Road Rating Rant

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
It's the most savage collection of R's, I tell ya.
Anyway, this is a rant, so don't take it too seriously, but I didn't know where else to vent out my frustrations. I put my stories up on Royal Road, because I was told they were very vocal with their criticism and harshly honest. The HH of RR, basically.
But now that I'm there, it's frustrating, if nothing else. I do have two reviews, both of them super positive, mentioning no downsides. One of them ending with "So far, I'm loving it" - Review came in with 3 out of 5 stars.
Kay, but I know it's positive and readers will see it and think so too, so 3 stars is fine to me. It's also not that bad ratings are the majority, it's mainly 4 through 5 stars, with most of them being 5 stars. So it seems to not fall flat completely. But for a few months, whenever there's a new positive rating, a negative one (2 through 3 Stars) pops up right after. They always come together, I'm not even joking. I had 20 ratings until a few days ago. Then it was 22 over night (2 and 5 Stars) and last night, it came up to 24 rating (2 and 5 stars respectively). You can follow it without having any insight, by the overall rating going marginally up and down somewhere around 4 stars.
But anyway, guess what I didn't get? Right, criticism of any kind. The most critical comments I have received was that a character that isn't physically around most of the time, but connected to the MCs mind, was "not adding anything" to the story when randomly chiming in (though he always comes in to give valuable information or make a comment that serves as a situational joke), but though might not be around, he's super important to the story, so what can I do about it? It's also a taste thing, rather than objective criticism. Then there was a person who questioned how a thirteen year old could know about spring cleaning the dorms she had been living in. And when I answered it with all bases of doubt covered why I thought it was a logical thing to know and why I was confused about why they would even question something so basic, I was called aggressive.
Other than that, they mark the occasional typo or grammatical error (like one or two in a chapter, nothing grave, but I do appreciate getting to "clean up" my story, so it's not like I'm sad about it). I'm not saying there can't be anyone who doesn't like my story, nor do I believe that subjective criticism is worthless, but that's just not what I would expect to be worth a 2 star rating.
And if it is, why not say a word? Don't get me wrong, you aren't obliged to say anything when you dislike a story, but if you feel strongly enough about it to rate it, wouldn't that mean you could write down at least three sentences on what was wrong with it in your eyes? That wouldn't just help me gain a better understanding of how the story is viewed by the readers, but also help other readers by telling them what is good and what isn't. They might feel differently about certain things.
For example, someone might not like Harem and review that the Harem had gotten too front and centre (my story isn't harem, for that matter, it's an unrelated example), with the girls in the harem dumbed down after they are collected. But the next reader loves such a setting, so what is pain for one, is pleasing for the other. Same can be turned around as well. I would run if I read something suggesting this as a positive review.
Either way, I'm sure someone will tell me I shouldn't give a shit, because Ratings aren't important anyway and nobody looks at them, but the truth is, I truly thought people would say something on RR. But now there's nothing. Most comments are either what I already mentioned or "Thanks for the Chapter". And when I went on hiatus, someone asked for when the story would continue. I'm not trying to be ungrateful here, I'm always thankful for any type of comment, but I literally have no idea what people actually think about anything in the story and it's been going on for more than 60 chapters.

I don't usually mean to whine, but I want to whine, so I do whine. It's frustrating.
So I'm just over here feeling meh. Humor me and let me whine about it here.

IMG_20240423_093542.jpg

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I have collectively 6,413 readers.

From that, I received 27 reviews collectively. That is: 0.4210198035%

I was generous because there are readers who have reviewed multiple of my stories, so the number is even lower. Then, those who are active commenters on my book, whose user name I recognize every time they comment... I am going to round it up with an approximate number here. Let it be 50 across all my books. That is: 0.7796663028%

Tl;dr - 1% of your readers will interact with your story in any way, shape, or form. This includes likes, comments, and reviews.

It is what it is. :blob_salute:

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
I have collectively 6,413 readers.

From that, I received 27 reviews collectively. That is: 0.4210198035%

I was generous because there are readers who have reviewed multiple of my stories, so the number is even lower. Then, those who are active commenters on my book, whose user name I recognize every time they comment... I am going to round it up with an approximate number here. Let it be 50 across all my books. That is: 0.7796663028%

Tl;dr - 1% of your readers will interact with your story in any way, shape, or form. This includes likes, comments, and reviews.

It is what it is. :blob_salute:
I know that. But I had expectations for some reason.
Now I'm going to continue to whine.

doravg

105/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Here I am, already gotten used to lurkers. Maybe I just don't have what it takes. But the precious few readers who give me the time of day really inspired me to try harder. So, even if I can't publish the book I am writing now, I will still share it. I really want to make at least one reader per day smile.

Or throw an imaginary pink bunny slipper at me. Since, you know, sometimes I am evil towards my characters. XD

Glitched

Moth Mommy
I don't know how to say this... but that's part of it. Same with the killer ratings:blob_no:
They give pretty decent ratings imo. I mean at the very least they don't default to 5 star and one sentence most of the time. I had one guy leave a 4 star review, simply because he said that he never gives 5's because that would mean the story is the most perfect thing ever, which I'm ok with. I've gotten some rather undetailed reviews, but nothing harsh.

I've found that RR readers are more likely to join discord too, especially the reviewers, and they're pretty chill tbh. The 4 star guy lives to critique ever chapter, but at the end of the day he admits that he likes it and wants more chapters.

SailusGebel

They give pretty decent ratings imo. I mean at the very least they don't default to 5 star and one sentence most of the time. I had one guy leave a 4 star review, simply because he said that he never gives 5's because that would mean the story is the most perfect thing ever, which I'm ok with. I've gotten some rather undetailed reviews, but nothing harsh.
It is luck dependent.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
As a professional rant consumer I give this rant 4.3 stars.

Well it's a matter of luck how good criticism is there are "whales" like Penthero or me that comment a lot and can give a lot of information by comments and ratings, of course the information value can vary, I'm digressing.
It depends on the people that read your novel on how detailed the criticism will be.

TheKillingAlice

Schinken

I've found that RR readers are more likely to join discord too, especially the reviewers, and they're pretty chill tbh. The 4 star guy lives to critique ever chapter, but at the end of the day he admits that he likes it and wants more chapters.
Discord?

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
Tough little bro.

Why not put an incentive for reviews, like extra chapters? Also, it could be your story is just average. Nothing too good and nothing too bad.

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
Tough little bro.

Why not put an incentive for reviews, like extra chapters? Also, it could be your story is just average. Nothing too good and nothing too bad.
If that were the case, that would be it. But that's not the case, because literal ups and downs aren't really it. And I do have really positive reviews, but those people who have actual problems seem to not say a word and that's frustrating, when you are told they are totally honest and open with their criticism.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
If that were the case, that would be it. But that's not the case, because literal ups and downs aren't really it. And I do have really positive reviews, but those people who have actual problems seem to not say a word and that's frustrating, when you are told they are totally honest and open with their criticism.
Unlucky. :blob_pat_sad: