Satistics

mossplains

What do they mean? How are they calculated? Particularly chapter views (all), chapter views, readers, page views.
Also, how often are they updated, and why do I see different numbers for the same series in different places?

I was about to ask this.
Well, the viewers in my second story just like there was a bomb.
so, my question here, are the readers who do not have an account also included in the views count? because my illustrator, which has lots of followers just advertised my story and the number of views has increased so rapidly.
I'm both happy and nervous...:blob_no:

I know this is out of topic with the thread, but I'm sorry to ask this through your thread:blob_pat_sad:....

Riese

Just a writer for fun
I was about to ask this.
Well, the viewers in my second story just like there was a bomb.
so, my question here, are the readers who do not have an account also included in the views count? because my illustrator, which has lots of followers just advertised my story and the number of views has increased so rapidly.
I'm both happy and nervous...:blob_no:

I know this is out of topic with the thread, but I'm sorry to ask this through your thread:blob_pat_sad:....
The guests are considered in the view count. I’m expecting a lot on your novel because I like it, please keep up the good story!:blob_popcorn:

Leti

Statistics are updated every 24 hours. They aren't updated live so that it doesn't strain the server. Chapter views are individual views of each chapters and does not equal to total view. Readers who have no account are also included in the views count. However, the one who will be shown on the Readers list are registered users who added your story to their reading list.

The guests are considered in the view count. I’m expecting a lot on your novel because I like it, please keep up the good story!:blob_popcorn:
Ahh thank you, well... I have a GAD, that's why I get nervous easily...

mossplains

Statistics are updated every 24 hours. They aren't updated live so that it doesn't strain the server. Chapter views are individual views of each chapters and does not equal to total view. Readers who have no account are also included in the views count. However, the one who will be shown on the Readers list are registered users who added your story to their reading list.
Right now it says on my story statistics:

Total Views (All):363
Total Views (Chapters):234
Average Views:15

So what's the difference between total views (all) and total views (chapter)?

Also, how is it possible that I see views going up and down? If people lose interest they should drop it and not contribute to the view count, and if they like it they should continue to read it, but either way they would be reading it sequentially from the beginning, so each chpter should have a view count that is no higher than previous chapters. How can the numbers look more like a wave going up and down?

What time are the statistics updated?

Riese

Just a writer for fun
Right now it says on my story statistics:

Total Views (All):363
Total Views (Chapters):234
Average Views:15

So what's the difference between total views (all) and total views (chapter)?

Also, how is it possible that I see views going up and down? If people lose interest they should drop it and not contribute to the view count, and if they like it they should continue to read it, but either way they would be reading it sequentially from the beginning, so each chpter should have a view count that is no higher than previous chapters. How can the numbers look more like a wave going up and down?

What time are the statistics updated?
Total views on chapters is also in Total views (all). The difference is Total views on chapters shows how many people actually read a chapter or viewed it.
Also in the views you meant the change in views everyday?

mossplains

Total views on chapters is also in Total views (all). The difference is Total views on chapters shows how many people actually read a chapter or viewed it.
Also in the views you meant the change in views everyday?
The terminology is confusing me.
In the table above, taken from my story's statistics, the first row says:
Total Views (All)
What is that counting, exactly?
The second row says:
Total Views (Chapters)
How are these two different from each other?

Also, and separately to that, when I go to
Edit->Table of Contents
I see that lets say chapter 14 has 7 views but chapter 15 has 9 views. How could it be that a later chapter has more views than an earlier chapter?

Glorious_Milfhunter

Huh? Who are you?
Total Views (All)
The second row says:
Total Views (Chapters)

Edit->Table of Contents
I see that lets say chapter 14 has 7 views but chapter 15 has 9 views. How could it be that a later chapter has more views than an earlier chapter?
Total views (All) counts the views you get on your story's main page.
Total views (chapter) is the sum of views on every chapter published.

averagewriter

Total Views (All)
The second row says:
Total Views (Chapters)

Edit->Table of Contents
I realised that whenever you revise your chapter and click update, a view is added. So you have probably revised ch15 a few times.

Last edited:

mossplains

I realised that whenever revise your chapter and click update, a view is added. So you have probably revised ch15 a few times.
I did all my writing in advance in a desktop app then just posted the ready chapters. There's just one chapter where I accidentally caused an extra view to appear, but multiple places where a chapter has a higher viewcount than the previous few chapters.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Simple, as people stated previously, statistics update from time to time, and some of them update quicker while others slower. Same thing for different sections on the whole website. Your own hidden creator profile will have the most recent stats, while the public ones might take a bit more time to update.

Opening something is considered a view, no matter who does it and if they have an account. Total views are ALL VIEWS of the Synopsis page and all chapters summed up. Total views (chapters) is only those from chapters. Average views are TOTAL VIEWS (CHAPTERS) divided by the TOTAL NUMBER OF RELEASED CHAPTERS.

Different numbers of views around chapters are normal. People sometimes click on them not in order, to check on something, reread, or by accident. And that naturally may give more views in the further chapters than the earlier ones.

mossplains

Simple, as people stated previously, statistics update from time to time, and some of them update quicker while others slower. Same thing for different sections on the whole website. Your own hidden creator profile will have the most recent stats, while the public ones might take a bit more time to update.

Opening something is considered a view, no matter who does it and if they have an account. Total views are ALL VIEWS of the Synopsis page and all chapters summed up. Total views (chapters) is only those from chapters. Average views are TOTAL VIEWS (CHAPTERS) divided by the TOTAL NUMBER OF RELEASED CHAPTERS.

Different numbers of views around chapters are normal. People sometimes click on them not in order, to check on something, reread, or by accident. And that naturally may give more views in the further chapters than the earlier ones.
Thanks. That makes things clear.

Isn't it counter-productive to count the same user multiple times on one chapter? For example, me refreshing the page to see if the statistics have updated will then inflate my view count.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Thanks. That makes things clear.

Isn't it counter-productive to count the same user multiple times on one chapter? For example, me refreshing the page to see if the statistics have updated will then inflate my view count.

The numbers acquired like that are very low to consider unhealthy and even having a possibility to influence something. If it's done maliciously or with a bot (a program), the system will detect it and delete the entries, reporting the story for admins to take a look at and investigate. Limiting views to just for eg. IP entries or registered accounts would significantly drop all the numbers.

mossplains

At the very least I don't think a logged-in author should be counted when viewing his own novel.