Schizo knowledge: Gnosticism

CrusadeAgainstFurries

Supreme meme-lord
If we are talking about occultism, 3 paths mainly shaped the western esoteric tradition: Gnosticism, Hermeticism, and Neoplatonism.
Of course, there are many smaller and more obscure occult schools. Also in modern times, there emerged "new" schools like Wiccan or Satanism, but since they are fairly new, their impact on western occultism has yet to be fully seen.
Anyway, without further ado, let's start with Gnosticism!

Gnosticism was a religious movement that flourished in the region of the eastern Mediterranean in the first few centuries following Christ. The name comes from gnosis - a Greek word meaning wisdom. Attainment of gnosis was considered necessary by the members of the movement in order to achieve elevation of the soul into heaven after death. The wisdom they pursued was not analytical speculation of Greek philosophy but was an ecstatic revelation of spiritual truth. the various Gnostic cults claimed to hold the exclusive keys to this revelation in their symbols, rites, and magical name and power.
Gnosticism did not gain wide prominence until early in the second century, but there is every reason to believe that it existed at a considerably earlier date and that its essential beliefs predate Christianity.

The Gnostic universe is a duality of good and evil, light and darkness. The supreme deity is without qualities except perhaps an essential goodness and is remote from the world of matter. Emanating from him/her is a heavenly mother goddess who is the active creating deity. She has various names. Among the Barbelognostics she is called Barbelo. The Simomiani called her Helena. She is descended from the great mother goddess of Asia who is known under various different names in different cultures, among them Ishtar, Astarte, Atargatis, and Cybele.

So closely connected with the Great Mother as to be at times indistinguishable from her is Sophia, the heavenly virgin or light-maiden. If a distinction can be drawn it is that Barbelo is elevated and exalted whereas Sophia is near the bottom level of the successive layers of heaven, called aeons after the deities who define them, even as the successive levels of the lower realm are called archons after the demonic power by which they are defined. In practice, the heavenly mother and light-maiden are two aspects of the same divine feminine principle.

Sophia presumptuously loves the great god and falls or descends from heaven to give birth to the seven powers called archons. Often these powers are said to have a leader, the chief archon Yaldabaoth, who is the same as the creator god Yahweh of the Hebrew Bible. He is also called Samael, the Hebrew equivalent of the Christian Satan. The archons are either a mixture of good and evil, or in some sects wholly evil.

This is especially interesting because it means that the Christian and Hebrew god Yahweh is evil and deceives humans into worshipping him as the true god.

Another Gnostic figure is the Primal Man or Heavenly Adam who comes into being before the creation of the world, and who voluntarily descends into matter as a warrior to combat the forces of darkness. Human souls are members of this divine body or portions of his light. After his victory over evil, they will be set free from the bonds of matter and arise with him to heaven.

Earthly men is created by the archons, who are often called angels, from a pattern of heavenly man which has been revealed to them. Only after his creation is this first man of clay infused with a divine spark by the chief archon, Yaldabaoth (Yahweh or Samael). In the myth of the Ophites (early Gnostic sect) Adam gives thanks to the Supreme Being for his life. The jealous Yaldabaoth casts a veil of forgetfulness over his eyes and creates Eve to be his instrument of destruction. The Mother of Heaven sends the serpent to teach Adam and Eve to eat of the Tree of Knowledge against the order of Yaldabaoth and thereby freeing themselves from his despotism. In rage, he casts them out of Paradise.

The seven archons are the seven planets of ancient astrology which rule over the Earth. They ultimately derive from the religion of Babylonians, who worshipped the planets as deities. The strong dualism of darkness in Gnosticism probably descends from the Persian dualism of the good god Ahura Mazda and the god of evil Angra Mainyu. The duality in Greek philosophy between spirit and matter undoubtedly also played a part in the evolution of the Gnostic ideas, but the Persian duality would seem to have had a greater influence.

It is a gross error to view Gnosticism as merely a Christian heresy. Christianity owes much more to Gnosticism than Gnosticism owes to Christianity. The Christian sacraments were introduced into the early Church through the Gnostics who also gave to Christians their strong belief in the salvation of the soul through religion. Indeed the myth of Christ, apart from the historical life of Jesus, is in all respects a Gnostic myth. That Christ existed in heaven before the creation of the world, that he descended into flesh through an immaculate virgin, that his victory evil is shared by those men and women who have true knowledge of him are Gnostic ideas.

Two key differences between these faiths are responsible for the victory of Christianity over Gnosticism in the fourth century.
Gnosticism was an elitist religion whereas Christianity was open to everyone. The greater mass of humanity was viewed by Gnostics to be mired in ignorance with no hope of salvation whereas they saw themselves as enlightened and lifted above the defilement of the flesh through their cult initiation personal experience of gnosis.
Not everyone was suited to receive this revelation of the spirit. By contrast, Christianity embraced everyone, wealthy and poor, intellectual and fool alike, regardless of social status or cultural background.

The second factor that led to the downfall of Gnosticism was the lack of any strong central authority to regularize its doctrines and provide an administrative social structure for its churches and rites. Gnosticism was divided into a multitude of small cults with charismatic leaders who supplied their own secret revelations. Often the beliefs of these splinter groups conflicted. With no historical tradition to act as a stabilizing influence, the result was chaos.

However, they still continue to exist in some form or another still to this day, though many movements they influenced overshadowed them.

Well, that was a lot, but I hope it was still somewhat interesting. Knowing about this stuff will help understanding Kabbalah, which had significant importance on demonology and western magic overall.

Next time, will be less theoretical and some rituals you can try (but shouldn't)! The topic will be about Kabbalah before diving into the history and rituals related to a certain type of demons which are used in a lot of lewd stories on this site, hehehe...

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
I respect your article( or religion perhaps?) Though I'm not sure about the context. Still, I appreciate the time that you spent writing this post. Belated happy new year!! 🎆🎇🎉🎊

EternalSunset0

Really enjoyable content, and I see a lot of familiar names in JRPG and anime. I kinda have a passing knowledge of the stuff you wrote but seeing someone explain things with such detail feels great.

I'm not sure how forums will handle the post due to the (arguable) religious content, but I think it's more informative and educational like you said, and I hope it stays.

CrusadeAgainstFurries

Supreme meme-lord
Really enjoyable content, and I see a lot of familiar names in JRPG and anime. I kinda have a passing knowledge of the stuff you wrote but seeing someone explain things with such detail feels great.

I'm not sure how forums will handle the post due to the (arguable) religious content, but I think it's more informative and educational like you said, and I hope it stays.
I try to dive into more practical magic stuff and divert from the religious side of it. It's like if you talk about the history of certain architecture-styles, you have to at least mention how religion influenced that, etc.

Furthermore, if you talk about for example about gender inequality in fantasy, you can argue that it's also related to politics.

I assume those rules are rather for explicit stuff, like talking about religions in general or real political topics, instead of slightly related topics to that.