Recommendations Sci-Fi novels [Not: Isekai, VR, and magic systems]

• Thread starter Deleted member 156229
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 156229

I feel like a fish outside the water on SH sometimes... Well, that is because I'm lol.
I would like to meet other authors who are writing science fiction without the usual tags we are used to see around here. And preferably without magic. Are there any others like this on SH?

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I feel like a fish outside the water on SC sometimes... Well, that is because I'm lol.
I would like to meet other authors who are writing science fiction without the usual tags we are used to see around here. And preferably without magic. Are there any others like this on SC?
I don't know any without "magic" in it. Maybe you can try to read Dune books? Or even stargate series (don't know if there book for that)?

Now, if you don't mind with magic, there some I can propose, like "Super God Gene" and "The Legendary Mechanical"

D

Deleted member 156229

I don't know any without "magic" in it. Maybe you can try to read Dune books? Or even stargate series (don't know if there book for that)?

Now, if you don't mind with magic, there some I can propose, like "Super God Gene" and "The Legendary Mechanical"
Oh, I'm a hard sci-fi addict. I've already read pretty much all of the mainstream series, lol.
I'm actually looking for more "underground" authors, but thanks 😁

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I feel like a fish outside the water on SH sometimes... Well, that is because I'm lol.
I would like to meet other authors who are writing science fiction without the usual tags we are used to see around here. And preferably without magic. Are there any others like this on SH?
I think there are some, but before that, I just realized how weird it is to end a sentence with the contraction I'm.

D

Deleted member 156229

I think there are some, but before that, I just realized how weird it is to end a sentence with the contraction I'm.
I'm not a native speaker... I usually have to check my sentences a couple of times for weird word orders :blob_no:
This time, however, I just clicked "Post" lol

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I'm not a native speaker... I usually have to check my sentences a couple of times for weird word orders :blob_no:
This time, however, I just clicked "Post" lol
No, there is no problem with you doing it. I just thought it was odd, and I might start doing it myself because odd I'm.

LilRora

Mostly formless
It's very difficult to find books like that, because a huge majority of stories outside the three categories you mentioned are historical or contemporary fiction, not science fiction. I think you would have much more luck searching among published books in libraries and bookstores, because there's much more pure science fiction there. As is, I don't think I know a single story on Scribble that would strictly match those criteria, though I know a few that loosely do, for example Stray Cat Strut; CASE; R. A. T. H.; Tinea and Leah.

Don't ask my why all four are GL, I tried to find something different but didn't.

Sagacious_Punk

Resident solarpunk
And preferably without magic.

Damn. There goes my chance to elegantly self-plug. Oh well.

(In defense of The Celestial Way, I've tried to make the magic within the story be a) believable, b) explainable via the scientific principle. It's based on years of actual real-world research into esoterics, spiritualism, and fine energies, extrapolated into fictional advanced usage. Oh, also, "scientific dragons".)

For the love of... Okay, Dune is a good book, but it's outdated as hell by now. It's like people constantly recommend LotR for fantasy reading, even though the genre has advanced massively since Tolkien. Ditto for science fiction, whether hard or soft.

Pure sci-fi recommends: The Golden Age by John C Wright, anything by Greg Egan (although his novels are more math/physics textbooks than stories), anything by Ian Banks, Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (plus Creatures of Light and Darkness, its companion "fantasy" twin), Blindsight by Peter Watts (it has scientific vampires), Fallen Dragon by Peter Hamilton, and others that are on my TBR list but I won't recommend them since I haven't read them yet.

And finally, Requiem for Homo Sapiens by David Zindell. Seriously, that series fucking slaps. Like, an astroload. Sure, it has some spiritual moments (spoilers, Dune has those too), but it is just so fucking good. Requiem should be considered "the new Dune" in my very unhumble opinion.

Cheers,
Sagacious

D

Deleted member 156229

Damn. There goes my chance to elegantly self-plug. Oh well.

(In defense of The Celestial Way, I've tried to make the magic within the story be a) believable, b) explainable via the scientific principle. It's based on years of actual real-world research into esoterics, spiritualism, and fine energies, extrapolated into fictional advanced usage. Oh, also, "scientific dragons".)

For the love of... Okay, Dune is a good book, but it's outdated as hell by now. It's like people constantly recommend LotR for fantasy reading, even though the genre has advanced massively since Tolkien. Ditto for science fiction, whether hard or soft.

Pure sci-fi recommends: The Golden Age by John C Wright, anything by Greg Egan (although his novels are more math/physics textbooks than stories), anything by Ian Banks, Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (plus Creatures of Light and Darkness, its companion "fantasy" twin), Blindsight by Peter Watts (it has scientific vampires), Fallen Dragon by Peter Hamilton, and others that are on my TBR list but I won't recommend them since I haven't read them yet.

And finally, Requiem for Homo Sapiens by David Zindell. Seriously, that series fucking slaps. Like, an astroload. Sure, it has some spiritual moments (spoilers, Dune has those too), but it is just so fucking good. Requiem should be considered "the new Dune" in my very unhumble opinion.

Cheers,
Sagacious
Yeah... I'm a sucker for Hard Sci-Fi stuff, especially the old ones lol. One favorites books is The Forever War (1976). I've went through most of the mainstream authors already, I was more interested in finding "undergroun" authors to follow.
But, nevertheless, thanks for the suggestions!

PS.: I've took a look at your webnovel, it seems interesting, I'll try to read it when I have the time.
Have you heard of the series finder or advanced search? You can exclude/include whatever tags you want and pick genres, ect. Here is a link to a book I found using that https://www.scribblehub.com/series/459710/slipspace/ . And here is the link to the series finder https://www.scribblehub.com/series-...=or&tge=531,536,863&sort=pageviews&order=desc PS. Click the cogs at the top right.
Well... That is embarrassing lol.
I already knew the series finder, but I've never realized I could EXCLUDE tags as well. That is amazing! Thanks!

Sagacious_Punk

Resident solarpunk
Yeah... I'm a sucker for Hard Sci-Fi stuff, especially the old ones lol. One favorites books is The Forever War (1976). I've went through most of the mainstream authors already, I was more interested in finding "undergroun" authors to follow.
But, nevertheless, thanks for the suggestions!

PS.: I've took a look at your webnovel, it seems interesting, I'll try to read it when I have the time.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Also, let me know if any of the post 90s hard sci-fi authors are to your liking. It's rare to find people with any familiarity about them, and I'd love to chat with others about the ideas which they represent - and how much of those ideas are already a reality (theoretical or practical) and what is the next question, to paraphrase Theodore Sturgeon. (Who I also recommend his sci-fi stuff.)

Also, forgot to recommend Dan Simmon's Hyperion Cantos, if you haven't read it already.