Seeking some tips because I'm new

DJWilde

Hi. I'm DJ Wilde and I'm new here. I was hoping I could ask you kind folks for some general tips as I get started? What should I watch out (other than the obvious rules). I'm a published author but I'm new to this form of story telling. Thank you in advance!

DJWilde

what kind of story do you write?
I write heroic modern fantasy with heroes, aliens, and much more. The story I'm posting here now is called Chessmen: Opening Moves and it's more of a super powered space opera. But my universe is heroes, villains, aliens, monsters, magic, crazy technologies etc.

First general tips
Stay away from the Forum cause it makes you procrastinate.

And also, welcome to SmutHub ScribbleHub^^
LOL thank you. I will try not to get too caught up here ;)

The formal is serial writing so you should do shorter chapters. Not like 10k words in one chapter.(y)
Sounds good. Thanks.

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
sounds messy. try not to incorporate too many ideas for your first few novels

DJWilde

sounds messy. try not to incorporate too many ideas for your first few novels
Well, I have three novels out and two books of short stories. I assure you I've been careful in my planning ;) but thank you.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
I write heroic modern fantasy with heroes, aliens, and much more. The story I'm posting here now is called Chessmen: Opening Moves and it's more of a super powered space opera. But my universe is heroes, villains, aliens, monsters, magic, crazy technologies etc.

LOL thank you. I will try not to get too caught up here ;)

Sounds good. Thanks.
So, it sounds like you're writing more typical contemporary fantasy - much of the site is into isekai - that is, anime inspired portal fantasy.

There is not as much of a fantasy presence on this site, but me and a few others are trying to make some space for it and Sci fi.

If you want any fantasy centric writing advice, I can offer it - though I'd be lying if I didn't feel intimidated doing so to someone who's published. 😅
Well, I have three novels out and two books of short stories. I assure you I've been careful in my planning ;) but thank you.
I think it doesn't sound half bad. Maybe just the wording you used.

I think any good novel will need to focus on a number of good ideas. Taking a genre into a setting uncommonly seen for example.

My story is a high fantasy about merfolk warring against industrial age merfolk - the main character is involved in the harmful act of removing the colorful scales of imprisoned merfolk, to sell as jewelry.

I wanted to follow his journey navigating his feelings in that. Then I wanted to try a magic system based on pressure and plate tectonics -

It all comes together, a number of ideas, and hopefully, makes one pretty good story.

A super powered space opera sounds interesting - do you mean like super heroes in space? Could be interesting, as long as it isn't just pulling threads from Avengers.

Last edited:

Noks

Any tips on character interaction? For me it's the hardest part in making a novel.

DJWilde

So, it sounds like you're writing more typical contemporary fantasy - much of the site is into isekai - that is, anime inspired portal fantasy.

There is not as much of a fantasy presence on this site, but me and a few others are trying to make some space for it and Sci fi.

If you want any fantasy centric writing advice, I can offer it - though I'd be lying if I didn't feel intimidated doing so to someone who's published. 😅

I think it doesn't sound half bad. Maybe just the wording you used.

I think any good novel will need to focus on a number of good ideas. Taking a genre into a setting uncommonly seen for example.

My story is a high fantasy about merfolk warring against industrial age merfolk - the main character is involved in the harmful act of removing the colorful scales of imprisoned merfolk, to sell as jewelry.

I wanted to follow his journey navigating his feelings in that. Then I wanted to try a magic system based on pressure and plate tectonics -

It all comes together, a number of ideas, and hopefully, makes one pretty good story.

A super powered space opera sounds interesting - do you mean like super heroes in space? Could be interesting, as long as it isn't just pulling threads from Avengers.
Your story sounds interesting. Thank you for the tips. I'm better at writing stories sometimes than actually expressing myself. I know, does not compute but that's my brain in a nutshell LOL. This is really just a new avenue that I am trying with my stories. It may take off, it may not. But I will say I have gotten great responses just from this. That makes me feel pretty good about being here. Yes, the member of the Chessmen have "super powers" but I promise it's written NOTHING like Avengers ;)
Any tips on character interaction? For me it's the hardest part in making a novel.
Hmm, this really depends on the character and what makes them who they are. Try to imagine more of how they respond to others and situations based on their personal beliefs. Beliefs, opinions, character flaws and strong points all contribute to those responses. A couple of exercises:
A: Watch your favorite movie and pay close attention to how they respond or engage each other. Think about what made a character say what they said and how the person they said it to was an influence.
B: Do the same thing with your favorite book. Just flip through and find those dialogue points to study.

My opinion on the most important factor in character interaction? Emotion is number 1 with me (if I were to have a top 5 or 10). Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Daitengu

-always atleast throw a comment at the bottom if not an author note on breaks ot hiatus.

I drop stories if the author doesn't say shit and disappears for a month. While I still have a story book marked from last year because the author explained her problem and I expect her to take years before being ready to start up again.

DJWilde

-always atleast throw a comment at the bottom if not an author note on breaks ot hiatus.

I drop stories if the author doesn't say shit and disappears for a month. While I still have a story book marked from last year because the author explained her problem and I expect her to take years before being ready to start up again.
Good point. Speaking of which, how often is best to post for someone new?

Daitengu

Good point. Speaking of which, how often is best to post for someone new?
The pattern I see is daily or every other day until you get a comfortable viewer amount then post at a comfortable speed.

As a reader though I don't care as long as it's consistent. I've got daily, weekly, and biweekly stories I read. Even got one monthly story. Though, with the biweekly and monthly stories they tend to be huge chapters.

DJWilde

The pattern I see is daily or every other day until you get a comfortable viewer amount then post at a comfortable speed.

As a reader though I don't care as long as it's consistent. I've got daily, weekly, and biweekly stories I read. Even got one monthly story. Though, with the biweekly and monthly stories they tend to be huge chapters.
Thank you. I think my next post will be Monday and then we'll see where I get from there.

Noks

Hmm, this really depends on the character and what makes them who they are. Try to imagine more of how they respond to others and situations based on their personal beliefs. Beliefs, opinions, character flaws and strong points all contribute to those responses. A couple of exercises:
A: Watch your favorite movie and pay close attention to how they respond or engage each other. Think about what made a character say what they said and how the person they said it to was an influence.
B: Do the same thing with your favorite book. Just flip through and find those dialogue points to study.

My opinion on the most important factor in character interaction? Emotion is number 1 with me (if I were to have a top 5 or 10). Hope that helps.

Thanks, although i'm still not confident in starting mine, your tips did help me point the right direction.

DJWilde

Thanks, although i'm still not confident in starting mine, your tips did help me point the right direction.
It is perfectly okay not to be confident. You just need practice is all. Best of luck!

D

Deleted member 45782

First general tips
Stay away from the Forum cause it makes you procrastinate.
So true.

Do Not Tips:
1. Do not let the reviews and 1 stars get to you so much that it makes you feel like its dragging you down from writing. Keep on writing. Only keep ones that are constructive. If you don't want constructive feedback, just put somewhere currently writing and not asking for feedback yet. Comments that are not constructive but destructive (rude, swear calling names, just downright mean) should be ignored.
2. Do not expect to have a lot of views and readers in a short amount of time. Besides there are popular tropes on here than other genres, some don't want to read a story with a few short chapters. Get to chapter 20 before you expect many readers.
3. High expectations makes you expect more but the reality is a lot of times its best to expect small things when initially getting out there. This way when something doesn't meet your expectations, it wouldn't feel like a very big plummet. (when I mean high expectations I mean the first two above. what people define as high expectation can vary greatly from individual to individual).

Do Tips:
1. Post a link to your works either in your Profile's signature or Profile. This makes it much easier for people on ScribbleHub Forums to notice what your works are.
2. Someone once commented somewhere that its best to post at 2pm. And people like to see.
3. Updates on your author's profile for your fellow readers if you are gonna go on hiatus or something.
4. If you want to get more publicity for your stories and works, post on more than one website to gather more readers.

if you're friendly humor and lighthearted, you'll get very far here on forums like @CadmarLegend.

TL;DR: Don't Expect and Aim too High, Keep Writing, and Paste Your Story Links in Your Signature.

GL new person. :)

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
So true.

Do Not Tips:
1. Do not let the reviews and 1 stars get to you so much that it makes you feel like its dragging you down from writing. Keep on writing. Only keep ones that are constructive. If you don't want constructive feedback, just put somewhere currently writing and not asking for feedback yet. Comments that are not constructive but destructive (rude, swear calling names, just downright mean) should be ignored.
2. Do not expect to have a lot of views and readers in a short amount of time. Besides there are popular tropes on here than other genres, some don't want to read a story with a few short chapters. Get to chapter 20 before you expect many readers.
3. High expectations makes you expect more but the reality is a lot of times its best to expect small things when initially getting out there. This way when something doesn't meet your expectations, it wouldn't feel like a very big plummet. (when I mean high expectations I mean the first two above. what people define as high expectation can vary greatly from individual to individual).

Do Tips:
1. Post a link to your works either in your Profile's signature or Profile. This makes it much easier for people on Scribble Hub Forums to notice what your works are.
2. Someone once commented somewhere that its best to post at 2pm. And people like to see.
3. Updates on your author's profile for your fellow readers if you are gonna go on hiatus or something.
4. If you want to get more publicity for your stories and works, post on more than one website to gather more readers.

if you're friendly humor and lighthearted, you'll get very far here on forums like @CadmarLegend.

TL;DR
: Don't Expect and Aim too High, Keep Writing, and Paste Your Story Links in Your Signature.

GL new person. :)
Hi. I'm DJ Wilde and I'm new here. I was hoping I could ask you kind folks for some general tips as I get started? What should I watch out (other than the obvious rules). I'm a published author but I'm new to this form of storytelling. Thank you in advance!
And if you ever mention me in a post, remember that I will always reply back, unless I didn't get any notifications for some reason— it sometimes happens, and I will give you a react. Also, @SeaSquidfish how exactly did I get very far??? I've barely gained any readers from here, and nor have I gotten followers from here except the initial 22 people.... I think.... I did get to interact with many others, though! ( ͡° . ͡°)?

D

Deleted member 45782

And if you ever mention me in a post, remember that I will always reply back.
Same for me. In most cases if you ever quote or reply to a comment, I'll also respond. :)
Also, @SeaSquidfish how exactly did I get very far??? I've barely gained any readers from here, and nor have I gotten followers from here except the initial 22 people.... I think.... I did get to interact with many others, though! ( ͡° . ͡°)?
everyone sees you everywhere on the forums...
someone mentioned you've become the adorable mascot of SHF :D

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Same for me. In most cases if you ever quote or reply to a comment, I'll also respond. :)

everyone sees you everywhere on the forums...
someone mentioned you've become the adorable mascot of SHF :D
I, as a man, do not know if I should be offended at becoming an unofficial mascot which seems very un-masculine, or grateful cuz I was picked out of 50k+ people....