Should a tag be added if it spoils the story?

Should a tag be added if it spoils the story?

• Yes

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

Zinless

How do I
Let's say there's a story about a normal world. No magic, monsters, etc.

The story is normal for the most part, focusing on drama and what not.

And boom, at the ending, magic is involved.

Should the story be tagged as "Magic"?

Even though the magic is supposed to be secret?

Note : This is all hypothetical talk.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Up to you, really. There are no strict rules related to tags and genres.

Just well, try to reflect your story to the best of your capability with your genres/tags... But if you feel like a certain tag would be a huge spoiler, then it would probably be better to not add it.

The only exception IMO would be for tags that can actively trouble people and that they'd really want to know about in advance... Like Rape tag.

Anything that doesn't fit the above category should be added according to your discretion IMO.

Akaichi

The tags are for the readers to find your novel. And maybe like it.
So only put things that are relevent, and things you want readers to expect.
Think of it as an early promise.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
Not in your hypothetical case, because it only appear at the end.
A tag is a way for a reader to find and categories your story, so anything that has a major impact in it should mentioned, even if it doesn't happen at the very begging.
However, if it is only a singular plot point, then the reader will never have the impression of reading a story of magic. That tag will attract people looking for something you will practicality never provide, so it will only be harmful to your gathering of an audience

Zinless

How do I
Not in your hypothetical case, because it only appear at the end.
A tag is a way for a reader to find and categories your story, so anything that has a major impact in it should mentioned, even if it doesn't happen at the very begging.
However, if it is only a singular plot point, then the reader will never have the impression of reading a story of magic. That tag will attract people looking for something you will practicality never provide, so it will only be harmful to your gathering of an audience
What if the reveal of magic being involved is the main appeal of the story? It's supposed to be revealed at the ending only but it's the main part of the story.

Should it still be tagged as such?

Edit : What i mean is... It's only revealed at the end yes, but what if it has a major impact on how you view the story? For example :
A detective trying to solve a murder mystery. BOOM, turns out the murderer can use magic after all, making investigating things logically useless. It also changes how you see the crime scenes when you re-read the story.

Last edited:

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
What if the reveal of magic being involved is the main appeal of the story? It's supposed to be revealed at the ending only but it's the main part of the story.

Should it still be tagged as such?

Edit : What i mean is... It's only revealed at the end yes, but what if it has a major impact on how you view the story? For example :
A detective trying to solve a murder mystery. BOOM, turns out the murderer can use magic after all, making investigating things logically useless. It also changes how you see the crime scenes when you re-read the story.
Still no, because the reader never gets what the tag implies.
Think about it like this. Imagine I added a paragraph at the end of lord of the rings saying everything was actually a simulation taking place in a spaceship, and then marketed the book as a sci-fi and virtual reality story. Yes, it would technically be correct, but anyone picking it up expecting a futuristic adventure through the stars will still be disapointed.
You have to remeber tags are marketing tools not factual descriptions. By including them, you are making a promise to the reader, and you better deliver.
It's not about the theoretical importance to the story, it is about the amount of time that the reader will get to enjoy that aspect to it.

Zinless

How do I
Still no, because the reader never gets what the tag implies.
Think about it like this. Imagine I added a paragraph at the end of lord of the rings saying everything was actually a simulation taking place in a spaceship, and then marketed the book as a sci-fi and virtual reality story. Yes, it would technically be correct, but anyone picking it up expecting a futuristic adventure through the stars will still be disapointed.
You have to remeber tags are marketing tools not factual descriptions. By including them, you are making a promise to the reader, and you better deliver.
It's not about the theoretical importance to the story, it is about the amount of time that the reader will get to enjoy that aspect to it.
Thanks, i think i get it now.

Tags are there to tell the readers what to expect, and if i don't want them to expect something, i shouldn't add it.

K_Jira

IMO, if you haven't release the chapter that contains the big magic reveal, you don't have to add the tag yet. Later, when the chapter is released, you can add the tag.

Well, you can think of it as a surprise benefit for early readers :blob_joy: