Should I Mainstream Webnovel?

Temple

The best pieces of work aren't those made for the lowest common denominator of the masses, but instead are the works that seeks to best embody its creators ideas.
I think the problem here is that there's a need to be read. Most writers do want people to read their works. Take Lovecraft as you mentioned. His writings couldn't support him when he was alive. He's basically just some random author trying to make a living like thousands of others. All those authors you mentioned, they became famous because they were published. Which meant editors and publishers approved their works for the general public. OP's problem here seems to be that his work is not for the general public, and he wants to be read by many people. So there's that problem.

HappyVainGlory

The last Webnovel I’m writing has a fatal flaw: It isn’t the type of novel you can read mainstream.

There are only two choices I have…

The first would be turning what I’m currently writing into a prequel and continuing the same story, but in another person’s eyes. Making it a good set-up for things to come in the future.

Maybe even including characters in this sequel title to show a sense of time progression from one volume to the other.

The second choice would be to continue with my non-mainstream story (with its sexual content and NSFW themes) to keep things ‘pure’ in a sense. Rather than polluting it with extra stuff.

I’ve already planned out the conclusive ending for this volume I’m writing, which will tie up everything before it in a finale that won’t need the current main character to progress further.

You could say the character development intended for him in the beginning of the volume will be done by the end. Which in turn will make him highly disposable in terms of killing off.

But whether he dies or not is up in the air until I’ve concluded what form my story shall take.

And for those who point out the inherent contradiction between saying it’s my ‘last story’ and splitting it between prequel and sequel, the latter is just how I’m portraying it to my audience.

To me, new chapters will always be heading towards the bigger and conclusive ending in the distance. Any ‘ending’ before that being a milestone. Like big changes in Mushoku Tensei.

Anyway, I understand the idea that if I want to explore the seriously-too-dark-and-edgy themes I’d set up in this volume, I need to be able to consistently hold onto it without causing reader whiplash.

Disorientating my readers by going from pitch black darkness which goes into things people might not be able to stomach… to a typical fantasy adventure with a smidge of some dark themes… would never be a good option.

I’m leaning on the option of concluding this darker part of the story by introducing the Final Boss at the end (which would thematically conclude the arc of the villain I’d set up for the current volume), but wanted to hear opinions.

Is a mainstream Webnovel worth the effort put in? Maybe it’s not important to pander to the larger audience, and that I should keep it as one story if I want to keep the attention high.

Different choice. Different results.

Five minute thoughts.

Keep the objective of your writing clear. If it's to entertain, know your audience and write what they would enjoy. If it's out of a desire to tell a particular story and vision, shut out everything else and just write it until you're done. Then look to how others react.

"Mainstream" is simply what's become common. If your story is inherently uncommon, you shouldn't be hung up over the disparity since that's a natural conclusion.

Most importantly, a finished story is a finished story. That's more valuable than one left incomplete, even if the completed story is flawed.

Armored99

Harem-phobic
I think the problem here is that there's a need to be read. Most writers do want people to read their works. Take Lovecraft as you mentioned. His writings couldn't support him when he was alive. He's basically just some random author trying to make a living like thousands of others. All those authors you mentioned, they became famous because they were published. Which meant editors and publishers approved their works for the general public. OP's problem here seems to be that his work is not for the general public, and he wants to be read by many people. So there's that problem.
yeah that is why I prefaced my comment with how what Im saying may not be entirely relevant.

But, I still believe that a Genuine piece of art will always garner support and people who want to see it. The only problem is getting it to them.