Showcased Rankings on fictions are a bit weird at times

thorbjorn42gbf

So being a member of a discord I get recommendations for fictions all over the place and today someone posted a link to The Raptor of Life which seems pretty interesting, something that caught my interest was the 1# ranking in the x-men tag that was displayed just to the right on the page, the problem is, there is only one web fiction under the x-men fandom tag, which means it being displayed first of feels a bit like false advertisement, and secondly it takes away some of that spots ability to show you the way to other similar fics, (yeah I know the tag cloud still exist but right now I am talking about the featured ranking) this all in all makes the featured ranking feel kind of useless? Or is that just me?

There is nothing wrong with being number 1 in category where there are no one else, thats just the way the system works, but it feels a bit bit weird when the site then choose to display that over a tag with maybe 10 or 15 other fictions instead, comparing it to other fictions instead of just telling me its top 1 out of 1.

Short edit here: Just really want to make sure to say I have no problems with the author this is something I have run into before it just got me thinking that the whole displayed/featured tag system is maybe not all that functional.

Last edited:

Venior

I do agree, to a degree.

I'm fine with it selecting the X-men tag as the main one, since its most likely the highest # trending spot, but I do wish under Statistics it showed the position of every tag the story is listed under, not just a select few that are arbitrarily chosen. I also wish you could choose which tag to show the # for, even if the placement is a bit lower than say X-men.

So if I'm proud of being #50 under LitRPG (Completely hypothetical), I'd prefer to show that on my stories front page rather than say a random #17 with another tag.

Does that make sense?

I think we're mostly in agreement, though.

bigbear51

That's something that I think Wattpad does relatively well, is choosing which tag gets featured as the big one. It takes into account the amount of stories are in certain tags. So being 10th out of 100 wouldn't be better than being 50 out of 10,000, for example. I'm guessing that it's more percentile based than absolute.

Darkwood

I do agree, to a degree.

I'm fine with it selecting the X-men tag as the main one, since its most likely the highest # trending spot, but I do wish under Statistics it showed the position of every tag the story is listed under, not just a select few that are arbitrarily chosen. I also wish you could choose which tag to show the # for, even if the placement is a bit lower than say X-men.

So if I'm proud of being #50 under LitRPG (Completely hypothetical), I'd prefer to show that on my stories front page rather than say a random #17 with another tag.

Does that make sense?

I think we're mostly in agreement, though.
It just shows on the side what you are highest ranked in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I’m #1 of 6 in arranged marriage and there are only 2 of us currently posting chapters.

As for which tags it chooses to show in statistics, it shows everyone that above #500 in that tag. (In my case every tag that I have selected) Though I do find it funny that it is done based on page views (number of people that click onto your page, not read a chapter) rather than a more meaningful statistic.

thorbjorn42gbf

It just shows on the side what you are highest ranked in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I’m #1 of 6 in arranged marriage and there are only 2 of us currently posting chapters.
I m thinking that it probably could do with some kind of modfier like "Highest rank with at least 10 other fictions in the tag" or something, I don't feel it really need to showcase the rank in the most popular tag, but at least do so in a tag with any amount of relevance.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
I'm fine with it selecting the X-men tag as the main one, since its most likely the highest # trending spot, but I do wish under Statistics it showed the position of every tag the story is listed under, not just a select few that are arbitrarily chosen.

It does show every tag and genre you have selected in the statistics tab tho.
Adnotacja 2020-07-29 112405.png

The ability to choose a tag which is showcased on the right part of the story page is a decent idea. You could either choose manually or leave it for the system to decide. I think it's worth considering @Tony

Venior

It does show every tag and genre you have selected in the statistics tab tho.

The ability to choose a tag which is showcased on the right part of the story page is a decent idea. You could either choose manually or leave it for the system to decide. I think it's worth considering @Tony

I'm going to be real with you here, I was completely unaware of the Show All Rankings button under statistics, and was assuming it only showed the top 2 or 3 rankings available.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
I'm going to be real with you here, I was completely unaware of the Show All Rankings button under statistics, and was assuming it only showed the top 2 or 3 rankings available.
Haha, happens. I'm kinda the guy who explores every nook and cranny, be it games, books or the web :blob_hide:

ioriangel

Huh, I didn't know that my fanfic was the only one in X-men.

PandaSempai

My fic was literally number 1 in 4 Fandom's. I was puzzled at first so I checked and learned that mine was the only fanfic under that fandom! Hahaha