So Psychic Powers are b*llsh*t

Jemini

Nope not my main chief. I just hate how the powers work.

That was the main complaint in your OP. If you want to now deny that, then what you are basically saying is that your hatred of psychic powers is completely irrational and without reason.

No arguing with that, but that's also not convincing anybody.

LilTV1155

what is the difference between esper and psychic.
one of the many questions I still have in mind. However, there is a forum on Scribblehub that may answer your question - Writing: How to differentiate Magic vs. Psychic Power?

But the differences mainly lies in their abilities.

Esper has the ability to manipulate matters and warp reality, which can be explained via scientific means such as psion energy. (Always innate, but active ability)
- May exert pressures on brain and body
- Matter manipulation & mentality self-restraint powered like mental shielding
- May be genetic based or mutation
- Energy output is either brainwave or psionic force from the body
-Interact with things on mental (people's minds) and physical planes

Psychic has the ability to spiritually connect, link, see futures, and etc. via mental willpower and perception. (Also innate, but passive ability)
- Can exert pressures on mind and soul
- Emotion powered and very sensitive
- Usually use borrowed power from a spiritual entity or something closer
- May be bloodline thing and priest medium things (tend to communicate with ghosts, anything can't be explained by science and of course, definitely not magic, etc.)
- Closer to cursed power (most hated by common people with schemes and etc.)
- Energy output is spirit power or willpower from the mind
- Interacts with things on mental and spiritual plane

-
The only reason you are still getting confused is because people keep using esper and psychic as synomous terms and in the end, fuse their abilities together. It got more confusing, because people identifies ESP as extrasensory perception which is just 6th sense, the same as a psychic's ability. However, ESP has more category like pK for teleportation and telekinesis, etc. But the true psychic is more of a spiritual medium and has the ability to sense and communicate with things like gods, demons, ghosts, and angels that are completely beyond the boundary of science and Esper. So it's hard to tell until you draw the line.

Last edited:

Plantorsomething

You know magic, yes that is far more plausible. Since to make a spell someone is converting mana to something else. While Psychic Powers just appear, where is that energy coming from. Only like mind reading and telepathy, and a few others can work.

How does telekinesis even work, how does one’s will move stuff, law of conservation of energy.

-Also note if you respond it magic, ima go Ooga-booga mode because this ain’t magic, it’s Psychic Powers
I’d say imposing your will directly on reality and on others’ Will is psychic powers. This is why it’s much more emotion and character based than most magic systems

LilTV1155

The reason is either Chinese cultivation BS about mind energy(or soul sense or whatever you know nascent soul thingy) or some kind of thing that happens when a human brain uses more than 10%?
Um. . . about the chinese cultivation or the korean cultivation energy. I think I can explain a little bit of this one.

I do agree that it is BS to call it mind energy or cultivator psychics because of what they can do. But the way they manipulate matters are like something you would see with an Esper with Telekinesis ability.

The source of their energy as cultivator and practioners are from the Dantian "Energy Sea/Field", Qi (Essence, or Life Force), Jing (Physical Energy from Nature or Foods Consumed), Shen (Spiritual / Mind), Soul Dan, Xaun Dan, Neidan, Waidan, Jindan (Golden Elixir Pellet - a revolving core crystal nucleus), and the "Mountain & Sea" thing, and etc.

References - Jiang Ye Comic / Ever Night, and etc. You can google the rest.

I still don't understand how all that energy can be used to preserve body or heal body or cure poison, but one clear thing to understand point is: Practioners and Cultivators are not humans, because they made themselves closer to demons or spirits. They were born humans.
Would not surprise me if these guys' true forms were revealed as slime with a crystal nucelus.
-
Human brain overusing past 100% or 10% limiter. I believe that this tend to fall into the Esper-Superhuman category, not the Psychic force though.

Last edited:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Let me ask you this counter question: Did you ever think about how bullshit most rpg magic systems are?

Casting is fairly intuitive. Since there's more magic energy in your body than around it, energy can be freed by letting it escape.

But once spent it also starts recovering. A ball that rolls downhill both ways. Where's conservation of energy here?

Which you could work around just as well, but does the appeal of magic worlds get diminished by this discrepancy in the first place?

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Let me ask you this counter question: Did you ever think about how bullshit most rpg magic systems are?

Casting is fairly intuitive. Since there's more magic energy in your body than around it, energy can be freed by letting it escape.

But once spent it also starts recovering. A ball that rolls downhill both ways. Where's conservation of energy here?

Which you could work around just as well, but does the appeal of magic worlds get diminished by this discrepancy in the first place?
I have that why I said in one reply. Both magic and Psychic abilities are stupid if its not written well. Its all about how’s it written, aka why most anime is dumb, unless it’s so dumb that’s it’s good

Also the recovering part is stupid, unless they try to do soul bullsh*t. Best way for it to work is to say of people naturally drawing in ambient mana, and to say “But what happens to the mana when a spell is cast” well once the spell is cast it has time limit till that mana is dispersed back into the world.

LilTV1155

I have that why I said in one reply. Both magic and Psychic abilities are stupid if its not written well. Its all about how’s it written, aka why most anime is dumb, unless it’s so dumb that’s it’s good

Also the recovering part is stupid, unless they try to do soul bullsh*t. Best way for it to work is to say of people naturally drawing in ambient mana, and to say “But what happens to the mana when a spell is cast” well once the spell is cast it has time limit till that mana is dispersed back into the world.
So in the end, does your concern have to do with the way Energy/Power being processed and projected from the body plus the variants in names?

AryaX

Is TK possible?

For example... You hold a spoon in your hand and bend it with you mind? possible? b*llsh*t?

1. Stuff, including the spoon are "made out of" particles... which are in the habit of wiggling around in random directions...
2. The odds of ALL the particles that constitute part of the spoon suddenly wiggling in the same direction, at the same time, moment after moment after moment, is highly improbable, but not strictly speaking absolutely 100% impossible... and if it did happen... the spoon would move/bend... no?
3. Bang your head at a wall, or take some nasty drugs, or just get luck or unlucky enough to have your brain malfunction, in such a way that you can willingly and intentionally... hallucinate... and then take a look at the spoon and make yourself "SEE" it... bend...
4. Throw in some human consciousness collapsing the waveform magic...
5. Tadaa!! The stupid waveform collapses into the ridiculous: "all particles are acting crazy possibility..."

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Magic is discount psychic powers with hard limitations. Shove thought juice into the ground and you can summon a wall of earth. Shove the same juice into water and nothing happens because excuses, i.e. no affinity to water manipulation, no game skills to accompany it.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Best way for it to work is to say of people naturally drawing in ambient mana, and to say “But what happens to the mana when a spell is cast” well once the spell is cast it has time limit till that mana is dispersed back into the world.
Either I misunderstand what you're saying or this doesn't solve the problem imo. What makes this different from a rpg system I described?

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
Also note if you respond it magic, ima go Ooga-booga mode because this ain’t magic, it’s Psychic Powers
Magic.

some kind of thing that happens when a human brain uses more than 10%? Of its power

Human brain overusing past 100% or 10% limiter.
No one else did it, so I have to.
Humans already use 100% of their brains. There is no 10% limiter, that's a myth stemming from a misunderstanding.

The human brain is also already calculating ahead of you. Everything you see is 0.3 seconds in the past. Almost everything you do is subconsciously, only things you're doing for the first time need to be done actively, that is the main reason why you are slower at it. Your subconsciousness takes up most of your brain, it is better at everything than you are. Not only faster but also smarter decisions are being made by the subconscious part of your brain.
Example:
Throw a dice, your brain already knows what you will roll. The rule of great numbers is overshadowed by the ability of your brain to calculate and manipulate what side of your dice you roll. There was also a study for this in Ohio(?) where they had a bunch of people roll dice while 1. knowing what rolls there were before and 2. not knowing what rolls were made before. Despite the rule of great numbers, there was a big difference in results.
I feel I digressed...

Anyway, everyone already is a PSI and ESP! Rejoice!
With a few chips and other tech stuff we may actually be able to control our 'powers' to a certain degree within the next 100 years~

rl;dr: PSI and ESP powers are magic that comes from within your body. As one comment above said, we are part of the universe blabla

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Either I misunderstand what you're saying or this doesn't solve the problem imo. What makes this different from a rpg system I described?
We are both missunderstand each other,
Magic.

No one else did it, so I have to.
Humans already use 100% of their brains. There is no 10% limiter, that's a myth stemming from a misunderstanding.

The human brain is also already calculating ahead of you. Everything you see is 0.3 seconds in the past. Almost everything you do is subconsciously, only things you're doing for the first time need to be done actively, that is the main reason why you are slower at it. Your subconsciousness takes up most of your brain, it is better at everything than you are. Not only faster but also smarter decisions are being made by the subconscious part of your brain.
Example:
Throw a dice, your brain already knows what you will roll. The rule of great numbers is overshadowed by the ability of your brain to calculate and manipulate what side of your dice you roll. There was also a study for this in Ohio(?) where they had a bunch of people roll dice while 1. knowing what rolls there were before and 2. not knowing what rolls were made before. Despite the rule of great numbers, there was a big difference in results.
I feel I digressed...

Anyway, everyone already is a PSI and ESP! Rejoice!
With a few chips and other tech stuff we may actually be able to control our 'powers' to a certain degree within the next 100 years~

rl;dr: PSI and ESP powers are magic that comes from within your body. As one comment above said, we are part of the universe blabla
Monkey brain mad, monkey brain needs you to say in monkey way