Stories in Modern Setting

While browsing through popular novels, I noticed that the majority of these stories are set in fantasy/medieval settings.

I wonder if a story set in a modern setting would perform well. I also don't see many slice-of-life novels in the trending list, but that could be due to my search algorithm. As a writer in a modern setting, how did your novels fare?

Tsuru

Robot
While browsing through popular novels, I noticed that the majority of these stories are set in fantasy/medieval settings.

I wonder if a story set in a modern setting would perform well. I also don't see many slice-of-life novels in the trending list, but that could be due to my search algorithm. As a writer in a modern setting, how did your novels fare?
Ask author of : https://www.scribblehub.com/series/221239/returning-transcendent-opens-an-idol-agency/

This series
was quite a blockbuster in term of popularity in scribblehub for a time
It was as Vtubers began to trend.

SailusGebel

It will perform well if it's an interesting story. My story is a modern setting, and even though I am on a two-year-long hiatus, I have 800+ readers. And my story is not good. Which means if you are good, you won't have any problems.

Yes, depending on how well the author can portray the world. Many authors skip a lot of descriptions, thinking that everyone knows everything on Earth. But in the end, we are only human...

Ask author of : https://www.scribblehub.com/series/221239/returning-transcendent-opens-an-idol-agency/

This series
was quite a blockbuster in term of popularity in scribblehub for a time
It was as Vtubers began to trend.
Thank you. This novel still incorporates supernatural elements, which I am considering avoiding entirely. But it’s good to see it doing well.
It will perform well if it's an interesting story. My story is a modern setting, and even though I am on a two-year-long hiatus, I have 800+ readers. And my story is not good. Which means if you are good, you won't have any problems.

Attracting 800+ readers means your story is good enough. Thanks for sharing!

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes

With enough Pron, any setting will be popular.

BigBadBoi

Urban fantasy is well received if it's well written. Too bad most of them are fanfic tier. Some of them are literally chinese urban xianxia turned into an english setting along with the "JUNIOR DARES" shit chinese cliches and tropes

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
Both can be very popular, the only reason why fantasy is more popular is because people like to write stories that doesn't involve getting hit with the harsh reality of modern life. Create a world that they dream off rather base a story in a world with the harsh reality comes into play. :blob_hide:

Tsuru

Robot
Thank you. This novel still incorporates supernatural elements, which I am considering avoiding entirely. But it’s good to see it doing well.

That is the thing.

Despite "supernatural" elements (and how often this kind of stories are utterly crap, in chinese novels years ago, with hidden societies)
the author did the anti-trope style of writing.
No bullshit, enemies killed effortless, etc
Not dense MC.
And well, its more about the "vtubers".

But anyway, keep in reserve.
I will quote a catchphrase that people often use, when criticizing "modern audience" movies/games (not to criticize you but bc its nice fitting logic)

[People don't care one bit, if the protag is a man, woman, black, yellow, red, blue, a fucking alien, we only care of getting a good product]
so yeah, urban is not a problem, its the quality itself people care. Because its a "product".

Its just that its a question of "the potential of the market". Selling dildos in a desert country probably will give less profits than [water].
And scribblehub, welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, as a half-unpopular-half-popular website, most users only come here for the smut or fantasy stuff. That is why they rank highests. And why us forum users do this recurring joke about "smut being a shortcut" or "a must have here".

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
I think mine perform very well, setting is a modern fantasy Earth where magical shits happen in the background.

Everyone is, like, "Yeah there are magical beings going around but that doesn't concern me at all."

Meanwhile, the MC is out there battling eldritch horrors beyond the solar system.

Is this a shameless self promotion? Yes

Urban fantasy is well received if it's well written. Too bad most of them are fanfic tier. Some of them are literally chinese urban xianxia turned into an english setting along with the "JUNIOR DARES" shit chinese cliches and tropes
What is "Junior Dares"?
Both can be very popular, the only reason why fantasy is more popular is because people like to write stories that doesn't involve getting hit with the harsh reality of modern life. Create a world that they dream off rather base a story in a world with the harsh reality comes into play. :blob_hide:
Harsh reality stories have their perks. But I agree that it's quite a niche genre.
That is the thing.

Despite "supernatural" elements (and how often this kind of stories are utterly crap, in chinese novels years ago, with hidden societies)
the author did the anti-trope style of writing.
No bullshit, enemies killed effortless, etc
Not dense MC.
And well, its more about the "vtubers".

But anyway, keep in reserve.

I will quote a catchphrase that people often use, when criticizing "modern audience" movies/games (not to criticize you but bc its nice fitting logic)

[People don't care one bit, if the protag is a man, woman, black, yellow, red, blue, a fucking alien, we only care of getting a good product]
so yeah, urban is not a problem, its the quality itself people care. Because its a "product".

Its just that its a question of "the potential of the market". Selling dildos in a desert country probably will give less profits than [water].
And scribblehub, welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, as a half-unpopular-half-popular website, most users only come here for the smut or fantasy stuff. That is why they rank highests. And why us forum users do this recurring joke about "smut being a shortcut" or "a must have here".
The readers' preferences on each published site are different, I've noticed.
I think mine perform very well, setting is a modern fantasy Earth where magical shits happen in the background.

Everyone is, like, "Yeah there are magical beings going around but that doesn't concern me at all."

Meanwhile, the MC is out there battling eldritch horrors beyond the solar system.

Is this a shameless self promotion? Yes
It's indeed performing well, but there is a running fantasy theme in it. Building a fantasy world is incredibly taxing, and frankly, I'd rather write short stories, haha.

AYM

reading the touching grass instruction manual
What is "Junior Dares"?

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?

Standard medieval fantasy, especially if not well-defined and relying on classic isekai clichés and tropes, is generally easier to write because it is more "loosely knit" and requires less precision in details. A simple example: in a setting like the one described, it's quite easy to kill someone and get away with it. In a modern setting, imagine what happens when a murder occurs. It's not easy to write. It requires a bit more depth and detail, especially because technology like the internet or smartphones is present. Essentially, it's easier to suspend disbelief for a reader in a generic medieval fantasy than in a modern setting. Then again, many seek escapism from everyday reality, and medieval fantasy inherently offers that.

My novel with a modern fantasy setting performs quite well, and I can't complain.
In the end, I don't think the setting makes much difference. What matters are the story and the characters.

prognastat

When the setting is fantasy people let you handwave a lot more away.

Also a lot of readers value escapism so having a world less similar to our own has a draw of it's own because by its very nature it satisfies that desire.

The kind of power fantasies popular here also have an easier time in a more fantasy setting or at least not set in modern times. Like would our world be the way it was if people capable of levelling cities on a whim were commonplace? Probably not. That's why power fantasy stories tend to do better in fantasy or apocalyptic settings. No need to reason how we manage to sustain an advanced society around these crazy super powered people because there is no advanced society.

Not that you can't achieve a combination of any of these things, just that it requires more effort and more people are always going to go with what costs the least effort for the most reward.

Also modern setting and urban fantasy can be quite different.

P.S.
Actual medieval settings would not be like depicted in most fiction. You wouldn't be able to just walk into any village not having being born there and without a good explanation of why you're there. However since most readers aren't actually that familiar with what life would have been like in such settings a lot more gets accepted by them by setting it in similar settings.

Last edited:

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
It's indeed performing well, but there is a running fantasy theme in it. Building a fantasy world is incredibly taxing, and frankly, I'd rather write short stories, haha.
It could get taxing in the first place, but as a long time dnd DM, it is quite easy with just one simple trick Random bullshit go!!

Sagacious_Punk

Resident solarpunk
The last contemporary story I remember reading was "Together We Will Go" by J. Michael Straczynski (of Babylon 5 fame). I seriously recommend it to anyone. No supernatural elements, no mystery, no escapism. Only drama and transcendental heartbreak.

It's central theme is about suicide, so be warned.

Also, if you want non-fiction that reads entirely like a Hollywood drama (of the best kind), read JMS' autobiography, "Becoming Superman". It's incredible and absurd the way only real life can be. Again, a 120% recommendation.

The last contemporary story I remember reading was "Together We Will Go" by J. Michael Straczynski (of Babylon 5 fame). I seriously recommend it to anyone. No supernatural elements, no mystery, no escapism. Only drama and transcendental heartbreak.

It's central theme is about suicide, so be warned.

Also, if you want non-fiction that reads entirely like a Hollywood drama (of the best kind), read JMS' autobiography, "Becoming Superman". It's incredible and absurd the way only real life can be. Again, a 120% recommendation.
Thank you, I’ve looked at the synopsis. It seems interesting and appears to be a heart-wrenching story.
Oh! I hate those stories 😂!
Standard medieval fantasy, especially if not well-defined and relying on classic isekai clichés and tropes, is generally easier to write because it is more "loosely knit" and requires less precision in details. A simple example: in a setting like the one described, it's quite easy to kill someone and get away with it. In a modern setting, imagine what happens when a murder occurs. It's not easy to write. It requires a bit more depth and detail, especially because technology like the internet or smartphones is present. Essentially, it's easier to suspend disbelief for a reader in a generic medieval fantasy than in a modern setting. Then again, many seek escapism from everyday reality, and medieval fantasy inherently offers that.

My novel with a modern fantasy setting performs quite well, and I can't complain.
In the end, I don't think the setting makes much difference. What matters are the story and the characters.
Fantasy can be challenging to write, especially as I’m trying to avoid incorporating incoherent powers and unnecessary elements just to advance the plot. That’s why it’s so difficult for me.
When the setting is fantasy people let you handwave a lot more away.

Also a lot of readers value escapism so having a world less similar to our own has a draw of it's own because by its very nature it satisfies that desire.

The kind of power fantasies popular here also have an easier time in a more fantasy setting or at least not set in modern times. Like would our world be the way it was if people capable of levelling cities on a whim were commonplace? Probably not. That's why power fantasy stories tend to do better in fantasy or apocalyptic settings. No need to reason how we manage to sustain an advanced society around these crazy super powered people because there is no advanced society.

Not that you can't achieve a combination of any of these things, just that it requires more effort and more people are always going to go with what costs the least effort for the most reward.

Also modern setting and urban fantasy can be quite different.

P.S.
Actual medieval settings would not be like depicted in most fiction. You wouldn't be able to just walk into any village not having being born there and without a good explanation of why you're there. However since most readers aren't actually that familiar with what life would have been like in such settings a lot more gets accepted by them by setting it in similar settings.
Actual medieval texts would be dry and difficult to read, given the archaic English they used. So, I understand the appeal of reimagining medieval fantasy. However, the world-building parts were quite tiring, haha.
It could get taxing in the first place, but as a long time dnd DM, it is quite easy with just one simple trick Random bullshit go!!
I wish I could but there's a limit to how much randomness I can conjure 😂

Last edited:

SurfAngel_1031

My first one Vivienne did pretty well I think. I just started Sylvie this week, so it will take time to pick up. I use slice of life, modern, romance.
It also has to do with added tags. The importannt part is just having fun.