Stories with Default Cover

RinDes

Another quick question for all you readers, not necessarily just on Scribble Hub, but in general:

How likely are you to read a story that uses a default cover? Or do you focus on the title, and no so much on the cover art?

I do have a lot of appreciation for well designed story covers, and original art, but from all the stories I've read so far: a good cover can be misleading in terms of writing quality, and a default cover can concealed a real gem of a story.

So do you "judge a book by its cover"? Or do you take a chance, and read regardless?

Simple_Russian_Boi

Maybe an alcoholic | Occasionally a cat
For me, the cover matters, it's the first thing I see about the book, how could it not? But even with the default cover, I usually read the synopsis and the first chapter to understand what I deal with.

Lord_Drakonus

Connoisseur of Degeneracy
I don't really care much about the covers, as long as I find the synopsis interesting. But for the sake of the discussion, I'd say that a default cover is much better than an ugly one.

Tempokai

Overworked One
If the synopsis and viewer ratings are good, I might read it. Better than the "I don't know what to put as a cover so random photo from internet goes" action

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
If the synopsis and viewer ratings are good, I might read it. Better than the "I don't know what to put as a cover so random photo from internet goes" action
With the Ai nowaday it's pretty easy for anyone to have at least an acceptable cover for free. No need for a random internet image.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
please crop your covers properly, they get all stretched and ugly. looks like you didn't put any effort :|

whitewoman

default cover > generic cover. Default cover makes me read title, generic cover makes me look away. A good cover though sells me. Its all really biased yknow.

K_Jira

It's hard for me to pick up stories with default covers. Even if it's an ugly one, i can sort of expect what kind of story it is from the cover but not with default covers. Default covers just got skipped from my attention.

RinDes

please crop your covers properly, they get all stretched and ugly. looks like you didn't put any effort :|
Whose? Mine? Because I'm using the proper 250 x 350 @ 72 dpi for all my covers, and none appeared stretched or ugly on my end. On both PC and Android, everything is displayed as it should: no blurry, pixelated or disproportionate appearance. And I don't half bake any of my artwork: care and pride are poured into everything I design and create... that is my work after all.

I used my stories' cover links to include them in my signature, and I even downsized them so that they could all fit in one clean row. But thanks for pointing it out either way, no harm done.

Last edited:

dummycake

Whose? Mine? Because I'm using the proper 250 x 350 @ 72 dpi for all my covers, and none appeared stretched or ugly on my end. On both PC and Android, everything is displayed as it should: no blurry, pixelated or disproportionate appearance. And I don't half bake any of my artwork: care and pride are poured into everything I design and create... that is my work after all.

I used my stories' cover links to include them in my signature, and I even downsized them so that they could all fit in one clean row. But thanks for pointing it out either way, no harm done.
I'm talking to everyone

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I judge books by their covers, but honestly, no cover is better than a bad one.

dummycake

I judge books by their covers, but honestly, no cover is better than a bad one.
help me envy.
which one makes you want to click it the most??