Writing Suggestions for training scenarios for my MC to foreshadow his command ability.

MadmanRB

Okay, so here's the scoop:
My MC at the start of my story is a rookie member of a police/anti-terrorist organization.
Now he has had basic training and already graduated the academy, my MC still lacks field experience.
This doesn't mean he doesn't have baseline skills, I mentioned he has several credentials and scored high in tactics and planning.
However, I do want to apply the show don't tell rule a little here and actually show him able to take command despite his lack of field experience.
Now, luckily for him, my MC lives in a high-tech society and things like advanced holograms are entirely within the limits of his world.
I can put him in charge here (along with a few more experienced officers to oversee his skills) without it risking real life people and or property.
Now note this is not a military fiction story, it's a science fiction/action/superhero themed story, so I am not aiming 100% realism here.
But I do want to bounce some ideas to throw at my main character so that we can see his command ability without it risking the lives of his fellow officers.
Now as for the setting, well the story mainly takes place in a futuristic city, so things like robots and the like are not totally out of place.
Still, I do wish suggestions don't come up with something crazy like my MC on an asteroid fighting aliens, that's not the tone of the story.
I already have one scenario ready, his first test is to see how he handles a hostage situation.
Since his unit usually deals with this sort of thing, this made sense for the first test.
Now, since I don't want to check off a standard Mary sue test point of having my MC succeed first try, I made him fail this first test.
The second test, I kind of want him to win, as I want to show him as at least able to learn from his mistakes and evolve.
But what is this second test?
Well that's where you guys come in, I do want this training session of my story to be at least somewhat interesting and fitting into my MC's story.
And the main theme is well my MC growing from rookie to commander level material, this of course does not come easy.
This becomes even more true when the superhero stuff kicks in, as even when he gets his powers, he still faces failure now and then.
Still, the second test must tie in somehow, and I am willing to listen to your ideas.
There will be a third test and my MC will lose but then again everyone loses that one as I go Kobayashi Maru on the whole team, so I need something that fits in between these two failures.
I don't want to give my MC an easy win or anything, but I want to throw him a bone.

Topgun1908

Yeah, but I don't want it to get repetitive.
I want the tests to have some variety.
maybe have a hostage situation that devolves into something worse after hostages are rescued? That way he learns from mistakes and it's not repetitive.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Death of his force, then he commands a bullet to save someone

MadmanRB

maybe have a hostage situation that devolves into something worse after hostages are rescued? That way he learns from mistakes and it's not repetitive.
Yeah I could roll with something like that.
I mean it's not like he can't retake this test applying what he learned from before and becoming more successful second time around.
Death of his force, then he commands a bullet to save someone
This will apply to the third scenario I mentioned.
My "Kobayashi Maru"