That feeling when you accidentaly delete a 4k word chapter and realize you didnt save it elsewhere

MrPopocap

I'm going crazy rn, looking for a way to recover the chapter or see if I have the draft in another place.

I lost all my motivation to write. Of course I'll regain it in the future but DAMN, I'm feeling like an idiot. I thougth the one I deleated was another chapter, one I didnt need anymore, but no, it was the last chapter I wrote. Now, I have to remember every plot point I made on that chapter and try to write it again.

It sucks that I can't recover the chapter but oh well, shit happens. I will triple check to make sure I have it saved in others places, but now I have to run after the creativity to create the chapter again.

Wish me luck!

J_Chemist

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.
It was a very frequently occurring event for me, so much so that I am quite sure I lost most of my earlier writing due to it, and why I never get complacent while writing now, I lose a lot nonetheless because I am just that careless.

I write, delete, and rewrite a lot. I remember once writing a whole novella worth of content on this app called Novelist, and then accidentally deleting it. One of the worst feelings ever. I somehow managed to convince myself to rewrite everything while cursing my fate. The funny part is, only after I completed rewriting it did I realize the app saves automatically, and my previous work was saved as a draft.

What I was shocked to find out was how scarily similar the two of them were, word to word, despite me thinking I lost most of what I wrote and it was gone forever from my memory.

I have experienced this several times. I am quite positive what you were writing, in some form, will get back to you at some point.

All the best writing :).

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
That happened to me. Granted, with a 1k chapter. I drank some cold water, screamed in a pillow, and then sat down and wrote it again. And you know what? It turned out better.

Good luck. :blob_reach:

Katako

My dumbass closes off the browser while writing. bye-bye to the chapter. :geek:

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
I'm going crazy rn, looking for a way to recover the chapter or see if I have the draft in another place.

I lost all my motivation to write. Of course I'll regain it in the future but DAMN, I'm feeling like an idiot. I thougth the one I deleated was another chapter, one I didnt need anymore, but no, it was the last chapter I wrote. Now, I have to remember every plot point I made on that chapter and try to write it again.

It sucks that I can't recover the chapter but oh well, shit happens. I will triple check to make sure I have it saved in others places, but now I have to run after the creativity to create the chapter again.

Wish me luck!
It's still better than erasing an entire two years' worth of writing and drawing I lost because of a wrong formatting decision.

Hard_Persimmon

This is why I write on word and then upload to google docs... unless I press ctrl+a then delete or backspace, I'll always find the draft I wrote.
Good luck mate! I hope I'll never experience such a thing :s_eek:

Jemini

Said it before, I'll say it again. Always have a minimum of 1 master copy of everything you've ever written on your hard drive. Never delete the master copies, even if you've decided that it's trash you're never going to post, and even if you've completely re-written a new version of the same chapter elsewhere.

(No, you don't have to create a new file for every time you do a few small edits, but do make a new save of anything that you have edited sufficiently as to be effectively a re-write of the chapter.)

Practices like this will save you a lot of headache down the line and avoid situations like this in the future.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all

Wish me luck!
Damn. I felt that. I literally have up and didn't write for a few days when one of my chapter I accidentally deleted thinking I saved it in my d drive lol. My dumbass even cleared the bin as well thinking.. who care I saved it.

Next day I was going crazy trying to find that file only to give up and accepting my date as I didn't have motivation for a few days just thinking what I did lol 😂

Lysander_Works

I did that once, only instead of just a single chapter, it was the whole dang book!
Strangely, despite not making proper backups back then, it was the autosave feature that worked against me in that tale.
TLDR: User accidentally deletes whole book, goes to cry about it for a while. Then learns to make 5 backups.

Funny thing is whenever I see someone rewrite a chapter from memory 80% of the time it's better than the original.

Sylver

It happens. My best advice is to save your drafts often.

I pause for small breaks when writing from time to time, and I've had a few times when my chapter draft gets list. Computer restarts, maybe the website isn't responding, or the servers aren't working.

Basically, save save save your draft every now and then. I'm sorry about your chapter, but if it's any help, this could lead to you rewriting the draft and potentially improving on it. Fingers crossed!

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
Happened to me. I've used autosave features ever since. Haven't repeated again since.