The 8 Universal Story Conflicts

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
This week I decided to tackle external conflicts! I look forward to combining this one in the future with the internal genres. And I'm positive this will play a major part in whatever course or process or whatever I build. Regardless, in the meantime, here we go:

I hope this helps you out!

Vnator

Oh hey, I was recommended this video on YouTube itself! I'll definitely take a look soon

Jemini

Yeah, I already saw this on Youtube as well.

Trying to think of more examples of that "Life Unraveling" conflict type than just the likes of "Worm" or the examples given here, but too many of the potential examples I think about often wind up just being the "refusal of the call" or "darkest hour" portions of the larger hero's journey plot structure.

I think Bojack and Worm may be the only examples of that conflict structure I'm aware of. (And they each take it in two completely different directions.)

EDIT: I think this might be a result of it being a rather difficult conflict type to approach. You need to first establish your character to show what they're losing, and then you need to be incredibly cruel to your character by knocking out the supports they have on their life one at a time.

Actually, come to think of it, I might have just thought of an entire trove of "life unraveling" structured plots. All of them are from a previous era of writing though. Plays written in the "tragedy" format tend to follow this plot structure rather frequently. Macbeth might be a rather famous example to look to, but I'm willing to bet that's just the tip of the iceberg if you start digging in that area.

EDIT 2: What the freak was I thinking!? I've been freaking blind! Mushoku Tensei repeatedly visits on this conflict structure. It really likes to unravel Rudie's life by one thread for a while, usually starting soon after one "turning point," and then he'll go down-hill for a while before starting to recover after the half-way point between the "turning points." Then, the next one hits, and he starts unraveling all over again. This continues until "turning point 4," which takes a bit of a different trajectory.

So, that's 3 separate instances of "life unraveling" stories happening over the course of a single epic greater story. It's subtle with the first one that follows "turning point 1." It's more caught up in the stress of having to survive after that disaster. It's far more blatant after "turning point 2," and then "turning point 3" takes a little while to hit, but it hits all at once when it does. So, it's not just 3 separate "life unraveling" plots, it's also handled in 3 different ways. "disguised by more urgent threats," "very classic and clear unraveling," and "life just breaks and collapses all at once in one horrible moment." (Yes, it's the one after "turning point 3" that I say is the all at once collapse, not "turning point 1." I say this because it's in reference to Rudy, not for the entire world as a whole.)

(I gotta say, I'm actually a big fan of those sorts of V-shaped plot structures, but Mushoku Tensei is rather cruel in the way it just pushes it's protagonist down the hill again as soon as he seems to have recovered from the previous one... although I'm not sure whether it's MT or Worm that's crueler since Worm doesn't even let it's protagonist have the reprieve of a brief recovery that MT does. Worm just keeps digging deeper and deeper and deeper into that pit of suffering. Then, when you think you've reached the bottom, something reaches up from the ground and pulls the protagonist even deeper. I do have to say, I am at least glad Worm does happen to be a V-shaped plot, but shees! The depths it gets to by that half-way point in the story!)

Last edited: