The chapter that everyone hates.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

I don't know why, but people seem to hate this chapter. Everyone I ask about it hates it. Weirdly, the next chapter is the chapter that most people consider to be the best.

I think that with most of the story, people aren't sure what to make of it. The story is very strange, very esoteric, but not in a way that people are used to. When people think of a 'creepy' story or a 'weird' story, they have a picture in their mind of what a weird or creepy story should be, and this story doesn't match up with that idea.

I think that this chapter is the epitome of that. It's creepy and disturbing in a different way than most things are creepy and disturbing. I think that the sections with Skycloud are also particularly hard to read. Basically, Skycloud flirts with Sir Phobos, which makes him lash out violently, which triggers a psychotic breakdown in Skycloud that causes problems during a battle. Sir Phobos confronts him about it, and Skycloud hisses at him, basically saying: "How dare YOU try to help me now, you fucked me up in the first place," then Sir Phobos mercilessly beats him until he's a 'good soldier' who fits in with the rest of the soldiers, and never causes trouble again. But, he ends up committing suicide when he discovers Telia, the sister of Sir Phobos who he loves despite doing the things that Skycloud was beaten for. He ends up killing himself, and although Sir Phobos doesn't attend his funeral, he does say some words at his grave.

Sir Phobos is a cruel narcissist, and it must be difficult to spend so much time with a bastard like that. I guess that everyone who reads this chapter will be reminded of the worst elements of themselves, and the people around him, but that's kind of the point. Anyone can be Sir Phobos, and that's a very frightening thought.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

I don't know why, but people seem to hate this chapter. Everyone I ask about it hates it. Weirdly, the next chapter is the chapter that most people consider to be the best.

I think that with most of the story, people aren't sure what to make of it. The story is very strange, very esoteric, but not in a way that people are used to. When people think of a 'creepy' story or a 'weird' story, they have a picture in their mind of what a weird or creepy story should be, and this story doesn't match up with that idea.

I think that this chapter is the epitome of that. It's creepy and disturbing in a different way than most things are creepy and disturbing. I think that the sections with Skycloud are also particularly hard to read. Basically, Skycloud flirts with Sir Phobos, which makes him lash out violently, which triggers a psychotic breakdown in Skycloud that causes problems during a battle. Sir Phobos confronts him about it, and Skycloud hisses at him, basically saying: "How dare YOU try to help me now, you fucked me up in the first place," then Sir Phobos mercilessly beats him until he's a 'good soldier' who fits in with the rest of the soldiers, and never causes trouble again. But, he ends up committing suicide when he discovers Telia, the sister of Sir Phobos who he loves despite doing the things that Skycloud was beaten for. He ends up killing himself, and although Sir Phobos doesn't attend his funeral, he does say some words at his grave.

Sir Phobos is a cruel narcissist, and it must be difficult to spend so much time with a bastard like that. I guess that everyone who reads this chapter will be reminded of the worst elements of themselves, and the people around him, but that's kind of the point. Anyone can be Sir Phobos, and that's a very frightening thought.

:blob_melt: I don't understand anything, but if you want I can give the chapter a quick look.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

:blob_melt: I don't understand anything, but if you want I can give the chapter a quick look.

I'd rather if you didn't. There aren't short chapters in this story, and this could easily turn someone off if it's the first thing they read. It's a bit like someone playing the torture scene from GTA5 before they play the rest of the game. You need the 70000+ words beforehand to, at the very least, assure you that this isn't an anti-gay story focusing on unpleasant characters, but this chapter certainly reaches to the other end of the spectrum.

I think that, in general, this story is exhausting and confusing. It really isn't too much like anything on this site, or really any site. I know that everyone says that, but I really think it rings true here, and I think that people have a hard time processing it because of that. Sort of like me, in a way.

It's a story that you really have to think about, and I would imagine that it will stick with you, nagging at you as you try to understand it if you choose to let it occupy your thoughts. Or, if you don't want to think about it, you can dismiss it as trash, sort of like a Throbbing Gristle song. Both reactions are understandable, and I don't think that there is a real middle-ground, which means that it probably won't find much success on this site, or any site.

Assurbanipal_II

I'd rather if you didn't. There aren't short chapters in this story, and this could easily turn someone off if it's the first thing they read. It's a bit like someone playing the torture scene from GTA5 before they play the rest of the game. You need the 70000+ words beforehand to, at the very least, assure you that this isn't an anti-gay story focusing on unpleasant characters, but this chapter certainly reaches to the other end of the spectrum.

I think that, in general, this story is exhausting and confusing. It really isn't too much like anything on this site, or really any site. I know that everyone says that, but I really think it rings true here, and I think that people have a hard time processing it because of that. Sort of like me, in a way.

It's a story that you really have to think about, and I would imagine that it will stick with you, nagging at you as you try to understand it if you choose to let it occupy your thoughts. Or, if you don't want to think about it, you can dismiss it as trash, sort of like a Throbbing Gristle song. Both reactions are understandable, and I don't think that there is a real middle-ground, which means that it probably won't find much success on this site, or any site.

:blob_melt: I met a few authors along your lines and I always told them the same. The things is that in general there is a difference in knowledge beteen the author and the reader. Authors enjoy more background knowledge and they also know where the plot goes. The readers doesn't. Certain actions might therefore confuse the reader as they don't appear internally consistent with logic of story.

The fact that you call your own story exhausting and confusing as the author yourself, shows me that your writing suffers probably from more underlying problems. If the story is exhausting for you, then imagine how it is for the reader?

And I disagree, if your writing is good, even a random chapter I jump into should leave a passable impression. I might not get the plot, but I can sense the flow and pacing.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

:blob_melt: I met a few authors along your lines and I always told them the same. The things is that in general there is a difference in knowledge beteen the author and the reader. Authors enjoy more background knowledge and they also know where the plot goes. The readers doesn't. Certain actions might therefore confuse the reader as they don't appear internally consistent with logic of story.

The fact that you call your own story exhausting and confusing as the author yourself, shows me that your writing suffers probably from more underlying problems. If the story is exhausting for you, then imagine how it is for the reader?

And I disagree, if your writing is good, even a random chapter I jump into should leave a passable impression. I might not get the plot, but I can sense the flow and pacing.

Well, when I say it's exhausting and confusing, I'm not saying that those things are bad or that I have a problem with it. It's sort of like listening to Very Friendly by Throbbing Gristle. At the end you're exhausted, and confused, but that's sort of the intention. You're supposed to treat it like a sort of endurance test, and you're supposed to think about it to make sense of it when it's over.

I know about the difference between the author and the reader, how the author knows more about the characters than the reader ever could, which means that they read the story differently. But, I find that this isn't really the case with this story. It's more like, erm, the average reader knows why Sir Phobos is the way he is, but they can't understand why he was chosen by the literal God in the story to have armor that protects him from the plot, because they don't realize that the answer is intended to be found by saying the plot points out loud, if that makes sense. If you don't ask questions, if you expect everything to be explained, a few things won't make sense.

It's sort of like how, in Knives Out, you're supposed to think: "Okay, so, everyone is a suspect except Ransom and the main character because they're the only ones with alibis."

If you want to check it out, you can go ahead. But, the people who have read the other chapters say that they don't like it even though they like other chapters. There must be a reason for that, for it being the outlier, which makes me think that it isn't a good chapter to start out with.

Assurbanipal_II

Well, when I say it's exhausting and confusing, I'm not saying that those things are bad or that I have a problem with it. It's sort of like listening to Very Friendly by Throbbing Gristle. At the end you're exhausted, and confused, but that's sort of the intention. You're supposed to treat it like a sort of endurance test, and you're supposed to think about it to make sense of it when it's over.

I know about the difference between the author and the reader, how the author knows more about the characters than the reader ever could, which means that they read the story differently. But, I find that this isn't really the case with this story. It's more like, erm, the average reader knows why Sir Phobos is the way he is, but they can't understand why he was chosen by the literal God in the story to have armor that protects him from the plot, because they don't realize that the answer is intended to be found by saying the plot points out loud, if that makes sense. If you don't ask questions, if you expect everything to be explained, a few things won't make sense.

It's sort of like how, in Knives Out, you're supposed to think: "Okay, so, everyone is a suspect except Ransom and the main character because they're the only ones with alibis."

If you want to check it out, you can go ahead. But, the people who have read the other chapters say that they don't like it even though they like other chapters. There must be a reason for that, for it being the outlier, which makes me think that it isn't a good chapter to start out with.
:blob_melt: I advise against making pop culture references on this forum. You run the risk of making obscure references. ScribblHub is international and I see no reason why I should know Knives Out or Very Friendly by Throbbing Gristle

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

:blob_melt: I advise against making pop culture references on this forum. You run the risk of making obscure references. ScribblHub is international and I see no reason why I should know Knives Out or Very Friendly by Throbbing Gristle

Throbbing Gristle is pretty obscure, I wouldn't expect too many people to know them. I do think that Knives Out is decently popular internationally, though it is a bit recent. I have a friend in Indonesia who saw it.

Assurbanipal_II

Throbbing Gristle is pretty obscure, I wouldn't expect too many people to know them. I do think that Knives Out is decently popular internationally, though it is a bit recent. I have a friend in Indonesia who saw it.

:blob_melt: I have a friend in America that immediately knows about what I am talking about when I say Cherkassy. Does that mean you know what I mean? Certainly not.

A bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point.

Last edited:

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
if your writing is good, even a random chapter I jump into should leave a passable impression. I might not get the plot, but I can sense the flow and pacing.
I agree with this. I've actually found a few good novels just by jumping into a random chapter and reading it. granted, i've found a few shitty novels where i just happened to pick the one good chapter in it.....

AkalE

Oh my! He's referencing obscure pop culture! Must be very cool and quirky.

Hey mister, will you be my friend?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Ugh, sounds too much like my ex.