The Three Kings of Glitchy and Unfinished Games

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
So I've been thinking about this for a while. Mainly because of a video I watched where they talked about one of these games that was hyped to hell and back only for it to release and be nearly unplayable.

The Three Kings in this case are as follows:

No Man's Sky
Cyberpunk 2077
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

I know technically it counts as four games, but Pokemon SV is just one game masquerading as two. So why are these the Three Kings. Well, that's because they each share a similar launch to play experience.

1- The game is announced and has almost immediate success and playerbase cause of how hyped the trailer made people.
2- Footage is shown, and although there are some aspects that people are iffy about, the hype just keeps getting bigger with the words "It'll be fixed on release/day 1 patch so it's fine."
3- The game releases, is a buggy and glitchy mess, and is hated by almost everyone. There is also a shared sense of disappointment since if the game weren't so unpolished, it would actually be a fun game.

Now I have a soft spot for No Man's Sky. The developers, Hello Games, is essentially an indie team that was given the same credence as a full on AAA developer. All because they took that deal with Sony. It was almost inevitable that the game would be unpolished on release with a team of 15 people, started out as 6, working on essentially making a whole universe. I know it's procedurally generated, but they still have to make all the assets to fill the universe with. That and plus Sean's flaw of having way too high ambitions for what he's able to do kind of meant that even if they didn't have a fixed date, the game would probably never have been released. At least they actually fixed the game, an although not everything that they promised is in the game, it is much better than its day 1 release.

Then there's Cyberpunk. I'm not as lenient on it as I am with No Man's Sky. It was made by the same developers as the Witcher, so how did they screw it up? Especially with 7-8 years in development? There's word of it being because the game testers were really bad at their jobs. Watch Upper Echelon Gamers video. It goes into depth of why the game might have failed. CD Project Red is going the way of Hello Game's and actually are fixing the game, but fixing the game later doesn't matter when the game should be ready at launch. I'll excuse Hello Game's for it, but not the people who made the Witcher franchise. They should know what to do.

Finally there's Pokemon Scarlet and Violet. The newest on the chopping block of disappointment. Unlike the last two, I got this game on day 1. My thoughts on the game is boiled down to this. If the game weren't so unfinished, I would actually have fun playing it. I think Dunky said it best. Pokemon SV is a sad bad game. Especially since the endgame is actually good, but who would want to play 10-15 hours of glitchy garbage to play 1 hour of actual good game? If it were relatively glitchless, I would rate the game an 8/10. However, we live in the dark timeline where games come out now with 3 game breaking bugs. So out of good conscious, I can't rate it anything above a 4. What's worse is that GF is also trying to fix the game, but they're so incompetent that them trying to fix it creates more problems. Like that one time they accientally introduced a save wiping bug into the game. That was fascinatingly terrible. I don't agree with the premise that GF is lazy. You literally cannot be lazy if you want to release a game every year. But they are very incompetent at what they do.

There's probably more games that can fit into this category. I heard Halo Infinite might, but the hype from that game was definitely not on the level of these three. Definitely not Redfall since everyone knew the game was gonna be crap before launch. If there's a fourth game, let me know. The Four Horseman sounds a lot better than the Three Kings.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
You forgot fallout 76 and red fall.
Oh yeah. I did forget Fallout 76. So I guess it is the Four Horsemen. Also I brought up Redfall and how people pretty much already knew it would be a failure when the trailers came out. I'm talking about games with positive hype. Not ones that had hype just to see how spectacularly it would fail.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Ever played Battlefield 2042 on release? Now that was an infestation. I could not stop laughing at the UI. You literally could not tell if something was on or off. Vehicles could climb buildings. 'Dusting' still exists after how many years?

There's a thousand videos on it, but playing it was hell. It's actually pretty decent now (since every game nowadays is taking the No Man's Sky route of publish broken game now and fix it later).

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I think majority of games now are released broken, there was also anthem.

however, they don’t fit the same criteria of being overhyped and looking awesome.

Cyberpunk 2077 came from a studio that at the time had a pristine, I repeat, pristine reputation. Also, it was only horrendously botched on previous generation consoles (PC version was pretty good) but the devs inexperience with the setting showed.

No Man’s sky I didn’t really follow on because to me a procedurally generated world was kind of boring and I wasn’t that big into exploration games.

Pokémon scarlet, well… I’m making sure to take a break every 2 hours to prevent memory leak issues. For the most part the game isn’t that bad, just not great.

The Three Kings in this case are as follows:

No Man's Sky
Cyberpunk 2077
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
hmm...
lets not forget skyrim

Last edited: