Three things for me to learn as a writer!

Potatome

Number one: Pacing!

Number two: Dialogue change, flow.

Number three: filtering sh*t from my novel; info dump and some unknown sh*t beyond my comprehension.

What about you?

I'm curious?!

My second question

I'm trying to set up a Patreon, of course, I have set it, up...but I need advice on how many chapters to write there and what offer should I give. And also your experience when you set up urs..and how many months it took you to grow it where it was today!

Apologies: if my question is a bit private...pardon me...

If you want to...

Mr. SailusGebel...don't come here and say Yes or no

SailusGebel

Are you asking for advice, or are you asking what I, in my opinion, should learn?

SailusGebel

Just advice mate☺️
Giving advice on Patreon is hard. Some authors offer small amount of chapters for big prices yet they are succesful, some offer a lot of chapter for small price yet they are unsuccesful, and so on. It all depends on your novel and readers. I think the best course of action would be to ask them directly.

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
My tier $10 has over 100+ chapters of all my novels combined. I advise you not to follow my ways.

Noel_Elitia

Not everyone taking your patreon tier would actually read on patreon unless they want to know what happens next. Their UI is not that good. People like to go with the reading site they are used to. If you think I might not be correct, just keep visiting your patreon insights for the posts you make, and you will know. Most people will be the ones who truly just want to support you so go with that in mind.

KrakenRiderEmma

What about you?

I'm curious?!
Love to think about this uncomfortable question and write down an answer I can look back at later and think “did I actually work on those things…”

1. Unnecessary dialogue tags and dialogue tags that get overly flowery rather than trying to show mood or tone through action and speech, like “he whispered hesitantly” rather than just “said” or no tag at all. Finding this really hard to abandon.

2. Sentences with too many “glue words” (words that are pure structure that don’t convey meaning.) They make sentences sound clunky, take longer to read because they sound like they’re saying more than they actually do… but a lot of the time I can’t figure out how to rephrase a “sticky sentence” without changing the gist.

3. The right balance between an active protagonist + unfiltered exposition and a protagonist who is “filtering” everything by musing and thinking and interpreting stuff from their POV. This really depends on the story, sometimes a very “in their own head” protagonist is fine but it’s better to not be stuck in that rut.

ACertainPassingUser

Character building.
Character personality.
Character development.

Well, i don't really care if the character didn't develop, but always show how they're affected by event that happened.

Or maybe character interactions.

I'm bored with stories where character doesn interact with each other, and even worse when those character didn't affect and shape each of their own personality even slightly.

And please put some good reason why they're still being friends in first place. Incompatible people usually avoid each other if there's no need to do so.

***​

And too much romance candidate is bullshit, especially when more than two people romantically like one person.

In my opinion, lots of Author is very anoyying for showing other character's possible sign of love and affection for MC in 3rd person POV, making the MC seem oblivious and dumb. while in reality those signal is VERY HARD to pick up for MC as he's not the one with omnipotent 3rd person POV.

I know it's pretty much a bait, so I'm shaming and insulting them for it. Those author pretty much disgrace real-life romance by showing those unrealistic and comically obvious hint in such fashion.

Most people are very prideful and guarding themselves. They subconsciously hide any trace of weakness and romantic desire against other, unless the situation and circumstances were safe and allow them to be less guarded and relaxed.

And don't get me started on MC saving character to gain climax their romance interest or something like that.

For MC to save them, they would need to be out into traumatizing event where they almost can't save themselves.

Even if MC save their life, they will be too busy recovering their mental from such traumatic event that almost take their lives in first place. so they will just spare some thanks and permanent respect at best and possibly very loyal ally in future (in other words, 🎉 congratulations 🎉 MC is friend zoned forever, but MC gain permanent ally instead).

For the saved character POV, instead of getting more infatuated with MC, their romantic desire will be suppressed and replaced by survival instinct, making them even guarded and not as open as before.

***​

And if MC doesn't like romantic relationship with the people he should yet, please show us some good reason. Either some kind of memory, different priorities, or simply make some good showing of why it isn't a good to do so in current circumstances.

We know the story maybe isn't focused on romance, but we would always love more background info on how and why MC choose not to pursue romance.

Last edited:

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
4. Don't listen to bad comments if your numbers are doing good. There is always going to be that one commentator who wants the story to go their way. Check your numbers and see who is reading. It's often best to not interact with readers/commentators until you're done with the story to explain things after.

Sorry, new here, a question: I just created a new account and posted a novel, but it isn't visible when I search. May I know if this is normal or any conditions that have to be met?

Zinless

How do I
4. Don't listen to bad comments if your numbers are doing good. There is always going to be that one commentator who wants the story to go their way. Check your numbers and see who is reading. It's often best to not interact with readers/commentators until you're done with the story to explain things after.
This is what I need tbh.

Sorry, new here, a question: I just created a new account and posted a novel, but it isn't visible when I search. May I know if this is normal or any conditions that have to be met?
It needs to be approved by Tony (Site Owner) first, it will be posted in due time.