Time traveling

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Time traveling works; we just don't see them because they forget to calculate the fact that:

- We move through space
- The Sun is whirling through the galaxy, dragging us along, rotating around Saggitarius A*
- The whole galaxy is moving in the meantime, being in its local cluster.
- And do not forget that space itself is expanding.

When they go back to see the Titanic, they pop out into the vastness of space and die.

Thank you for coming to my SHF-Talk. See you later.

Kalliel

Grind, Future, A Beautiful Star
1707724382771.png

Enkiari

I also like the idea I found in one of Andur's stories, where Time Travel to the past works, except...
You return to the exact past and the exact self you were. So you don't remember you travelled back in time.

SsemouyOnan

Scientific Witchery
What about this time traveling teleporter machine I found in the Amazon?

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
when i go to sleep its kinda time travel too

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
Time travel in a sense can't happen.. it just breaks the universe. The laws of causality are absolute. You mess with time and it creates an infinite amount of paradoxes to deal with your actions just trying to stabilise the universe.

Imagine a universe is an ever evolving geared machine that perfect in design. Nothing can make it more stable or complete. What time travel does is add another gear out of thin air into the perfect universe. That literally breaks the system.

The traveler is the gear that does not fit into the design where there is already the same gear of him Present yet it tries to anyway.. this disturbs the entire universe making it collapse as the perfect system that was evolving as it completly shatters and crumbles into paradoxes and loops trying to stabilise.

This is my sci-fi take but who gives a shit. Believe what you want to if it makes sense logically.. it's all theoretical anyway. Well gentlemen and ladies isn't that the beauty of the unknown

Last edited:

dummycake

Time travel in a sense can't happen.. it just breaks the universe. The laws of causality are absolute. You mess with time and it creates an infinite amount of paradoxes to deal with your actions just trying to stabilise the universe.

Imagine a universe is an ever evolving geared machine that perfect in design. Nothing can make it more stable or complete. What time travel does is add another gear out of thin air into the perfect universe. That literally breaks the system.

The traveler is the gear that does not fit into the design where there is already the same gear of him. Present yet it tries to anyway.. this disturbing the entire universe making collapse as the perfect system that was evolving completly shatters and crumbles into paradoxes and loops trying to stabilise.

This is my sci-fi take but who gives a shit. Believe what you want to if it makes sense logically.. it's all theoretical anyway. Well gentlemen and ladies isn't that the beauty of the unknown
this is why I would never go back in time to prevent a tragedy or something. what if Super Hitler now exists because I killed Hitler?

Arkus86

The traveler is the gear that does not fit into the design where there is already the same gear of him. Present yet it tries to anyway.. this disturbing the entire universe making collapse as the perfect system that was evolving completly shatters and crumbles into paradoxes and loops trying to stabilise.

One of my pet theories is that you can't change the past, because everything you might do in the past has already happened and you are already living through the result, you just don't know it.

dummycake

One of my pet theories is that you can't change the past, because everything you might do in the past has already happened and you are already living through the result, you just don't know it.
that's literally Terminator

Arkus86

I'm not too familiar with the Terminator universe, but I think there were at least two divergent timelines?

I was thinking more Harry potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Harry sees someone who looks like his father casting the Patronus spell, but then travels back in time and realizes it was himself, who he saw cast the spell.

Azure_Fog

More stabby, more happy~
Time traveling works; we just don't see them because they forget to calculate the fact that:

- We move through space
- The Sun is whirling through the galaxy, dragging us along, rotating around Saggitarius A*

When they go back to see the Titanic, they pop out into the vastness of space and die.

You assume that they can’t ever make it back~
*aliens invade*
*it’s humans from the future*

Corty

You assume that they can’t ever make it back~
Depends on how long they can survive in the vacuum of space to punch back the original coordinates.

The biggest ouchie will be if some other body of mass occupies the spot they appear in, like a star. That's very unlikely, but not 0%.

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
The Time Machine (inventive name I know) movie from the 2000s actually had a good reasoning for why you could travel to the past but couldn't change anything. Cause and Effect. Events of the past are what make the present. In that story, the guy had developed plans for a time machine but only dedicated himself to it after his girlfriend's death. He tried going back to save her but got to watch her die in new ways each time. Her death was the cause and the time machine was the effect.

They also made it so the time machine was anchored to a single point on the earth (which made for a pretty darn cool movie scene of a changing planet when he accidentally blasts himself thousands of years into the future) and couldn't be moved while it was travelling through time. It's also the inspiration for that one Futurama episode.

That being said, we are travelling through time. Just forward. I couldn't resist. sorry not sorry.

edit- cause I'm apparently mentally deficient tonight and wrote out the same thing twice in one sentenace.

Last edited:

Azure_Fog

More stabby, more happy~
Depends on how long they can survive in the vacuum of space to punch back the original coordinates.
Spaceship!
The biggest ouchie will be if some other body of mass occupies the spot they appear in, like a star. That's very unlikely, but not 0%.
It’s 0% most likely~ Don’t underestimate the power of math~

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes

- We move through space
None of that proves time travel works.
In fact, you have failed to prove that time even exists. It might just be a "rate of change". This would solve the paradox of why there is no Anti-Arrow of Time. Why we can't find any "Chronotons" or "Tachyons".
The redshift we see looking at distant galaxies could be because the universe is expanding faster and faster.
OR
The rate of change for the universe could be slowing down. If "time" slowed down, universally, that would explain the redshift.

So, which makes more sense?
1. The universe defies the laws of conservation of matter and energy by ACCELERATING faster and faster as it flies apart.
2. There is no "time" and the universe is "slowing down" in compliance with the conservation of matter and energy, but since we are all slowing down together at the same rate, we can't tell, except by observing the redshift because the speed of light is a constant.
Uh, no. Terminator allows for time to be changed and allows for alternate universes/timelines.
He is talking about The Matrix IP.
Everything has already happened. We already made all our choices. We aren't here to make a choice and determine the future. We are here to UNDERSTAND our choices.

ArchlordZero

Stage 4 Cancer Shitposter

- We move through space

This calculation problem can be solved by a Time Machine that uses backtrack method, retracing one second at a time.

Corty

This calculation problem can be solved by a Time Machine that uses backtrack method, retracing one second at a time.
Of course, it can be solved. They are just too excited to ask 'When are we' without the 'Where are we.'

Redemit

Time travel doesn't work because if you could time travel you've already done the things you could in the past and are currently living in the timeline that you created