Tips for a father character

Heartlock

What priorities would a good, family loving father have? What things would he be against?

Heartlock

Well, if you go by popular mainstream media today, there is no such thing as a good father, much less a loving one.
I may be a total daddy’s girl, but I gotta disagree with you pal. There are soo many fantastic dads, I just wish I knew how to write one.

Speaking of a traditional family, the father is often responsible for the values and morals of the child, teaching him what is right and wrong and how to behave in the face of a predatory and cruel society.
Things like putting himself in the position of provider and protector are basically essential for a good father.

For the other aspects, it depends a lot on his personality, how he will love his children? will he actively show this affection or will he just have this affection in the depths of his heart and place himself as an impenetrable barrier to protect his family? it depends a lot on the personality of that father.

An interesting way of doing this is to cast him as the classic absent, cold father who seems to have his whole soul focused on his work, but who is slowly dismantled in such a way that the emotions, flaws and weaknesses he struggles so hard to hide from his children become more evident.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Unconditional love. That's the only trait a parent really needs.

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
What priorities would a good, family loving father have? What things would he be against?
Depends on the culture and income class. For most part, fathers from high-income communities tend to have priorities that concern their child's well-being, alongside the part where he has to provide for his family's comfort. For fathers hailing from lower income brackets, their focus is on earning for their families, sometimes, to the detriment of the children.

As for the 'against', a usual father would always be against people exploiting (or tend to) their children, be it progressive politics, or the usual boy -next-door trying to get under their daughter's skirts.

Do take note that this is a personal experience and observation of mine, since I also deal with my students' parents.

vzymmer

If you go by novel data, the mainstream personality of good father figures tend to be doting, overprotective, weak to their childrens pleading, tends to over react to everything concerning their child and most of all, a very op individual.

Indicterra

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed 🎶
For me my father is the most ideal father ever.

He is kind and always smile and also cracks those unfunny jokes to me and my friends, it's kind a embarrassing but I happy he is trying to connect with my friends in his own way.

He did his best to give me good education and care something he did not get from his father

He is not very expressive with his love for me like I never heard him say I love you my son in my life, but I am okay with it I did not expect it and it would be awkward as hell for me.

But I have heard him boasting about me after winning a exam with a rank, obtaing special entry to armed forces, like he called all the relatives in his side of family to let them know In the middle of the night.

Despite how financely hard it maybe, he will always put a some money in pocket when I leave outside and give me stern order to use it wisely but never inquire how I used it

Ofcourse he have scolded me several times and hit me once, but it's mostly cause me being a annoying brat. (I'll not blame him cause even I will hit the me back then)

He only gave me few rules in my life to follow, which is no alcohol, no drugs, no stealing and some other core ones.

Though not very expressive he is very observing, he could understand if something wrong with me and inquire, will solve the problem himself or give me advice to his best capability.(He have saved my ass few times)

He didn't want me to feel less fortunate, if he heard my friends or family members get something, if I say much less mutter a word wanting the same thing, he'll try to get it for me. (I still remember him promising me again and again that he will take to me tourists spot, after hearing i didn't went to college tour)

Anyway my father is the best father there is

Jemini

Just like every person is different, the same goes for father figures.

There are two primary goals of a good parent to their children. 1. Protect them and enable them to grow up into adulthood. 2. Teach them the skills they will need to live their adult life successfully.

There is usually a division of labor between the father and mother, with them focusing on different important parenting tasks that each have become more gender-inclined toward due to the course of evolution. (I will note, these things I am about to say are a general trend, but there is some variance within these and some cross-tendencies as well.)

Fathers trend more towards providing resources so the mother can do the nurturing side of things. The fathers also focus on protection from outside threats like thugs, hostiles to the town (which is a major motivator for fathers to become city guards,) or your usual boy next door. Mothers, meanwhile, focus on internal threats such as the child hurting themselves while playing to wildly. (The mother's tendency to focus on things that would cause the child to get themselves hurt is the reason why the father is usually better for teaching the child combat-related skills, since a mother's instincts and behavior pattern up till that point will trend to make her less inclined to let the children take the risks needed to gain these combat skills.)

All those things said, just like there are different kinds of people, these different kinds of people will all have their own take on how to parent their child. Some will be better than others. Some will just have very different but equally viable approaches to similar situations. And in all cases, you have to also keep in mind they will be driven by their circumstances.

Terrate

Iron fist dad and he would be against stubborn ass child.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
I don't know which movie this is, but a sort of Midwest, Southern US vibes. And it is the vibe I want to give my father characters

Son: I don't know how to swim.
Dad: *throws him into the water* There you go boy, you're doing it, just grab the water and pull it towards ye, good job.
Mom: I'm worried he might drown.
Dad: Then you save him.
Mom: I don't know how to swim.
Dad: *looks at her*
Mom: *at this moment she realized, she fucked up*

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I don't know which movie this is, but a sort of Midwest, Southern US vibes. And it is the vibe I want to give my father characters

Son: I don't know how to swim.
Dad: *throws him into the water* There you go boy, you're doing it, just grab the water and pull it towards ye, good job.
Mom: I'm worried he might drown.
Dad: Then you save him.
Mom: I don't know how to swim.
Dad: *looks at her*
Mom: *at this moment she realized, she fucked up*

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I may be a total daddy’s girl, but I gotta disagree with you pal. There are soo many fantastic dads, I just wish I knew how to write one.
I said popular media. Show me a TV show in the past five years that doesn't treat father's like trash. You'd think father's don't exist on Disney plus.
Spy X Family
What part of popular and main stream do you people don't understand?

Hold on...

I just asked my three coworkers if they even HEARD of spy x family. Nobody even understands it after I explained it.

Ah...

"Is that that perverted Japanese cartoon shit?"

Direct quote.

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
What part of popular and main stream do you people don't understand?

Hold on...

I just asked my three coworkers if they even HEARD of spy x family. Nobody even understands it after I explained it.

Ah...

"Is that that perverted Japanese cartoon shit?"

Direct quote.
Sorry, I forgot that you are American. I am no longer used to considering what comes from the states, mainstream.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
I have one, and you might want to hear some nice motivation from him.

I mean... He's a lecturer. And even better, because he's broad-minded. You don't want to know just how deep his understanding is toward Communism. I'm not joking, he had tons of books related to that ideology.