Toilet thoughts: Internal x external conflict

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
images (31).jpeg

chaotic enby thinking.

Hello my guys, gals and enby pals, so while on my good old thinking toilet again something came to me that I didn't pay much attention to until just now my MC's internal and external conflicts.

now I write multiple Mc's so this really worried me but how would you go about giving you MC an external and internal conflict what's the best route to give them that, is it just fine to use the situation they find themselves in for the external conflict while using their history, thought process and characterization for the external one? Or maybe using their flaws as way to give them external conflict that they'll have to resolve?? Where is line of internal and external conflict drawn that's just unbelievable bull crap sprung from the authors ass to create drama for no other than they can.

So in conclusion what's the best method for creating external and internal conflict for my various Mc's?

Last edited:

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Internal and external? Easy... Place them in places where their morals are challenged. :blob_hide: If MC is okay with killing, could they kill their lover? Or friends? Or would they condemn someone who does the same? Stuff like that creates chaos and turmoil, both external and internal. Show how they grow from those conflicts or how they down spiral.

Andrew_Udell

Force them to resolve an external conflict by overcoming an internal conflict. Examples:

1. The MC must kill the big bad who's been destroying the world (external), but must overcome their moral issues in killing (internal).
2. The MC is trapped under a boulder (external) and the only way to escape involves cutting off their own arm. They must gather the willpower to do so (internal).
3. The MC must seduce an enemy to distract them while their companion foils their plans (external), but the MC must overcome their extreme social anxiety in talking to members of the opposite gender (internal).

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
There was a Trope Talk about this, but I cannot remember which one it was. Just watch em all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[Reformed Villains? Anti-Heroes?]

External Conflict can literally be anything, so just find something that would interfere with your MC's goals, and you're golden. Or... Something that causes Internal Conflict.

Internal Conflict on the other hand... Should probably be something that comes from the past. Something that happened to the MC causes them to act and react in certain ways. And the External Conflict suddenly makes those actions... Inconvenient. Now they have to choose between who they were and who they should/want to be.

The go-to internal conflict when you want a character who isn't flawed but still has depth is self-doubt. 'I don't think I'm the one you're looking for. I can't help you.' Honestly, if you're just tacking something like this on for the sake of having an Internal Conflict... You could just not have one. If the External Conflict is interesting enough, there's no need for character drama.