VRMMO Combat System

Scribbler

That’s not the same. Have you played it? If not, check out a lets play. Darksouls has a brutal difficulty and is designed to kill the player over and over. You’ve got to learn from experience where all the enemies are hiding, how many they are, and how they attack. Like, lets say you’re rounding a corner. Suddenly an undead jumps out and kills you and before you can react it kills you in one hit. Respawn. Now you know where the undead is, though, so you can prepare and dodge. But whoops, it was faster than you thought. Respawn point for you. You try again. Ah dang, there were a few more than you thought. Over and over. Throughout the entire game. And we’re not even talking about the bosses yet.

For an untrained person entering a fight, it’s very difficult to face a weapon coming into the direction of their face and not flinch. If it’s virtual reality, there might be pain, and having to fight with an injury. That takes a very special kind of adrenaline junkie. (And I say that as a former adrenaline junkie.) It’d be the equivalent of entering an MMA ring with a rhino. Over and over again. Excpet the rhino is hidden and ambushes you lol
I think the point of difference is that (one) you don't die in sports, you are only injured - even if sometimes those injuries can be permanently crippling, and (two) as you say, avoiding getting hit is part of the gameplay of sports. But in a game like Dark Souls, dying is an expected part of the gameplay mechanic. They even called their special edition "Prepare to Die Edition". The gameplay loop of Dark Souls is that you will die, but each death should be a learning experience. The narrative of the game actively supports a cycle of death and resurrection - basically the story of the game is that people who are dying aren't staying dead, and are coming back to life as the undead, and this lack of death is causing a slow rot and stagnation of the world. You play a character that is undead, so there is no "fail" death state in the game - every time you die, there is an in-game narrative as to why you just come back.

What Llamadragon was saying is that it would take a special kind of someone to play a fully immersive VR experience that transmits the pain of literal death fairly realistic that has the same "prepare to die" gameplay setting of Dark Souls. Imagine going through the realistic sensation of being stabbed to death, burned to death, crushed to death, torn apart, etc. over and over and over and over and over and over and relishing it as part of the game.
I love you guys.

D

Deleted member 5560

ASDSJFKLDSF that's what I get for typing responses on my phone, always slower by a step. :censored:

LotusLily

That’s not the same. Have you played it? If not, check out a lets play. Darksouls has a brutal difficulty and is designed to kill the player over and over. You’ve got to learn from experience where all the enemies are hiding, how many they are, and how they attack. Like, lets say you’re rounding a corner. Suddenly an undead jumps out and kills you and before you can react it kills you in one hit. Respawn. Now you know where the undead is, though, so you can prepare and dodge. But whoops, it was faster than you thought. Respawn point for you. You try again. Ah dang, there were a few more than you thought. Over and over. Throughout the entire game. And we’re not even talking about the bosses yet.

You make DS sound like Re:zero

Scribbler

@Llamadragon @flucket You guys know anything about crafting?

My system will require blueprints to be rewarded/earned instead of being discovered. I was going to base the actual act/process of crafting on FFXIV and DQXI, where there's a bar that needs to be filled up to a certain zone, and awarded/earned skills that make it easier to hit the zone you are aiming for, and chances to increase the quality of an item beyond normal.

Llamadragon

Would work I guess. Just remember the risk of spreading resources too thin. Since items can be swapped out, players would have to weigh the pros and cons of getting a lot of different powers, vs getting one or a few more powerful items.