What are some of the best light novels?

ShipTeaser

I didn't see any footnotes since I stopped midways; I was waiting for it to end before finishing it. Don't tell me the author has dementia and won't continue writing it. Don't do this.
Well.I admit there may be MTL errors, but he was having a hell of a bad time,his dad died, mom has dementia and has committed business fraud beforehand or something, he was hospitalised a few times... Yeah, I don't think we are ever seeing more alas. At least he did leave a footnote of girls who would have been in the harem...

SailusGebel

Well.I admit there may be MTL errors, but he was having a hell of a bad time,his dad died, mom has dementia and has committed business fraud beforehand or something, he was hospitalised a few times... Yeah, I don't think we are ever seeing more alas. At least he did leave a footnote of girls who would have been in the harem...
Damn!

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
Sounds like urban legends. I think he is just in hiatus.

The novel might never end, though. Just like Berserk, Hunter x Hunter, or ASOIAF. Sad, but it's a real possibility.

ShipTeaser

Sounds like urban legends. I think he is just in hiatus.

The novel might never end, though. Just like Berserk, Hunter x Hunter, or ASOIAF. Sad, but it's a real possibility.

Maybe so, but I'm only quoting what he himself wrote 😥
Berserk will end at least since Miura left it to his assistant...

SailusGebel

Berserk will end at least since Miura left it to his assistant...
It's not the same.

BigBadBoi

Off the top of my head
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/utsuro-no-hako-to-zero-no-maria/ - absolute 10/10 read
The Saga of Tanya the Evil
Mushoku Tensei
Konosuba
Eminence is the Shadows
Altina the Sword Princess I had fun reading although it's in hiatus
Goblin Slayer was a nice read
The Irregular at Magic Highschool
Rakuin no Monshou
And a handful of romcom LNs I read
I'm only talking about light novels. If the list includes webnovels there would be more in the list.
Empty Box and Zeroth Maria is a safe pick...
Reading it made me think about the story for like a week straight. Kinda wished it didn't have an open ending.
Interesting the criteria are specified to "Light Novel" and not including webnovels.

That said, if we were to stick very strictly to only Light Novels, I'd definitely list Ascendance of a Bookworm as quite likely the best LN ever written.

If we were to expand the criteria to include Webnovels, I'd also add Mother of Learning and Worm.

That said, listing those off just made me realize. The west has a SERIOUS problem with it's WN to published novel pipeline. Both of those ones I just listed are incredibly well written and also incredibly popular to the point where it's absolutely baffling neither one of them has been picked up by a major publishing house.
The author self published Mother of Learning IIRC and I think it was really successful

HungrySheep

I like yuri
Hakomari, Kamisu Reina, 86, Ascendance of a Bookworm. I want to say ILTV but its writing quality admittedly isn't that great despite my love for it.

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
The Saga of Tanya the Evil
Mushoku Tensei
The Irregular at Magic Highschool
Love them, especially Tanya.
I tried reading Goblin Slayer's web novel, but it didn't quite convince me, which is a shame because I love the anime.
Maybe I should give it another shot.