What do y'all use to write?

IllyasArt

I've asked this question on RoyalRoad before, but I am curious if there are any differences for authors on this site.

For me, up until like a month ago, I used Scrivener for my novels, but I since switched to Obsidian. It took like four hours to set it up for writing, since you need a lot of plugins to make it work well, but it was well worth it in my opinion. Modern UI with various themes that you can use. (I use Minimal.) Plus, all of my novels are in the same place.

For cover art, I use Blender and Affinity Photo. For editing, I use the LanguageTool obsidian plugin, and ProwritingAid anywhere.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I use wordpad, save my chapters in files and on the same folder and then just copy paste them when I publish. I also have a messed folder with lot of files for different use.

Succubiome

Oh, I just started with Obsidian a few weeks ago! I wanted spellchecking, and LibreOffice kept crashing and losing data for some reason.

I'm currently using it on a really basic level, though-- any tutorials or other info sites you'd recommend for it?

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
I mostly write on my phone, using Markor (it's a plain text app, nothing special with features focused on writers), Gboard, and ChatGPT to fix and help me with some stuff.

The workflow is not the best, changing from app to app is a little bothersome sometimes, but it works. I'm still looking for an alternative though...

On my PC, I always do backups on Google Drive, so I send my files and use Google Docs.

CrimsonGenius

Riding the Thunder
I save it all on Word, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive. I used Word and Google Docs, mostly to save between them

Last edited:

LORD_SHAXX

WORD I mean it's great. It has a lot addons and the format is compatible with most things. My Only issue is that its a bit ram hungry and when running certain addons (grammarly) it starts to chug once you have like 3 to 4 k words on one page. (But I think that's more to do with Grammarlys ass optimisation but hay ho what can you do)

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
Uh, I write in Microsoft Word 2010 (it's a trusty version). When I'm writing on the go, I use Android Notes on my phone.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
I've asked this question on RoyalRoad before, but I am curious if there are any differences for authors on this site.

For me, up until like a month ago, I used Scrivener for my novels, but I since switched to Obsidian. It took like four hours to set it up for writing, since you need a lot of plugins to make it work well, but it was well worth it in my opinion. Modern UI with various themes that you can use. (I use Minimal.) Plus, all of my novels are in the same place.

For cover art, I use Blender and Affinity Photo. For editing, I use the LanguageTool obsidian plugin, and ProwritingAid anywhere.
I use Word. And then I'll use the Royal Road writing section. And then I'll use the Scribble Hub website. And then I'll use Google Docs and/or Wattpad writing websites.
And that's it!

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
I write in the scribblehub website, I used to write on Wordpress. I prefer to just write where I'm going to post, sure, I'm lacking fancy tools, but I've always been of the mindset that by forcing myself to fix my mistakes manually, I'll learn to get better faster. It might not be true, and I've definitely hurt myself in some things by following this method, but it's been good for me so far in life overall.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I write in the scribblehub website, I used to write on Wordpress. I prefer to just write where I'm going to post, sure, I'm lacking fancy tools, but I've always been of the mindset that by forcing myself to fix my mistakes manually, I'll learn to get better faster. It might not be true, and I've definitely hurt myself in some things by following this method, but it's been good for me so far in life overall.
Bad idea ☠️. What happens when site goes down?

IllyasArt

Oh, I just started with Obsidian a few weeks ago! I wanted spellchecking, and LibreOffice kept crashing and losing data for some reason.

I'm currently using it on a really basic level, though-- any tutorials or other info sites you'd recommend for it?
There aren't really many tutorials for Obsidian, and most of them are for note taking, oof. Really, the best help I can give you is just giving you list of all of the plugins that I use.

(I don't use ALL of them, but I do use most of the ones for writing. If you don't use it already, the Longform plugin is what I use to write novels.)

*List updated as of 12/9/2023*

:Plugins:

Note: All of these plugins can be installed via the Community Plugins section of Obsidian.

Admonition.
Advanced Slides.
Advanced Tables.
Better Command Palette.
Better Word Count.
Calendar.
Completr.
Copy as HTML. (Needed to copy things like bold or italized text into sites like Royalroad and Scribblehub.)
Daily Stats.
Data View.
Dictionary.
Easy Typing.
Editing Toolbar.
ExcaliBrain.
Excalidraw.
Fantasy Content Generator.
Fantasy Stablocks.
File Color.
Hard Breaks.
Iconize.
Icons.
Kanban.
Kindle.
LangaugeTool Intergration. (Somewhat buggy.)
Longform.
Mathpad.
Minimal Theme Settings.
Novel Word Count.
Obsidian Enhancing Export. (You need to install Pandoc, which is a separate program used for compiling text files.)
Obsidian Tabs.
Plugin Update Tracker.
Privacy Glasses.
ProZen.
QuickAdd.
Readability Score.
Reading Time.
Recent Files.
Red Pen. (Useful, but kinda annoying so I have it off most of the time.)
Reveal File in Explorer.
RPG Manager.
Smart Typography.
Stopwatch Plugin.
Style Settings. (Tons of themes use this plugin for extra customization of the theme.)
Templater.
Text to Speech.
Typewriter Scroll. (Useful, but buggy with Longform.)
Typing Speed.
Unicode Search.
Zoom.

:Themes:

Prism (What I am using right now.)
Minimal. (Considered to be the best theme.)
Things.
Mado Miniflow.
Mado 11.
Border.
Shibu Inu.
Origami.
Maple.
Chime.

(With ADHD, I find that switching to different themes now and then helps me with focusing.)

Last edited:

SailusGebel

There aren't really many tutorials for Obsidian, and most of them are for note taking, oof. Really, the best help I can give you is just giving you list of all of the plugins that I use.

(I don't use ALL of them, but I do use most of the ones for writing. If you don't use it already, the Longform plugin is what I use to write novels.)

Admonition.
Advanced Slides.
Advanced Tables.
Better Command Palette.
Better Word Count.
Calendar.
Completr.
Daily Stats.
Data View.
Dictionary.
Easy Typing.
Excalidraw.