What do you consider enough for a rewrite?

TotallyHuman

I have yet to rewrite the first story I wrote but I decided to do it because I got confused in my own plot threads

Lorelliad

creating magic in a magic-less world 🪄
If everything is going into shambles, then do a proper rewrite I guess. Gaping plotholes, Not satisfactory pacing, obvious mistakes, anything really. I'm not a pro writer, but a rewrite is due when it is due. Up to you though :D

Jemini

Actually, I have a better way to frame it than the first comment I made.

You want to re-write your story (before completing it) if and only if you have all 3 of the 3 following conditions present.

1. You have a reasonably clear idea in your head about how you want the plot of your story to look. (You are solidly in "planner" territory with it rather than "Pantzer" territory.)

2. You have a very good idea about what you need to do in order to get your story to the conclusions you want it to have.

3. The plan you have in #2 is completely incompatible with something you have already written in the story you have posted so far.

If you have all 3 of those, then you are ready for a re-write. If you have only 1 and 3 or 2 and 3 (because 3 is always going to be present if you are seriously considering a re-write,) then you want to keep writing a little longer until you can figure out the missing item.

Once you have formed a good plan in your head for the re-write, that's when it's time to go for it.

Of course, if you REALLY want to be a good writer, then there is a 2nd set of 3 conditions that will also merit a re-write in addition to the above 3.

1. You have completed your story.

2. You are not satisfied with the story when you read over it yourself.

3. You can see ways that you can change the story in order to improve it.

_oinkchan

So, 90k words into my web serial and I've been feeling like rewriting it because the magic system had a plothole that I've created through the latest chapters.

Anyways, I'm not gonna ask for feedback on that since I doubt anyone who sees this has read my story or cares. So instead, I'll ask this:

For you, at what point do you consider "Enough is enough. Imma have to rewrite this shit." or something like that for the story you're writing? Maybe you just drop it or go ahead regardless?
If you are re writing from scratch, then it's better not to rewrite.