What do you think about a twist on a familiar trope that completely changes its fundamental essense?

BlackKnightX

Take vampire, for example. This is an iconic trope that has been done a lot. Even people who aren't particularly into fantasy know what it is. We know they're creatures of the night, weak against sunlight, and suck blood to survive. But what if I completely change the essence of it? For example, if my vampire doesn't suck blood but instead consumes other energy source to survive. Heck, what if blood is their weakness? Will you find this strange? Or maybe there's a story that's done this already?

Terrate

I mean, you do you. I've seen a work where elves literally have a human farm because they eat their flesh for whatever reason that I forgot about. You just have to make it more believable or once you've committed to it, you have to make it consistent to not be nitpicked.

SainS

Going against established mythos will inevitably cause confusion in your readers and not the good kind. You need a lot of reader goodwill (created through enticing premise or excellent writing) to make them want to suffer through confusion. Some small tweaks and twists are fine, but I would suggest either creating creatures of your own from scratch and calling them something else if they diverge too far from the original myths, or calling them stuff like energy-vampires. Completely changing myths into something else will not come off as a clever reveal to most readers, but instead just frustrates them.

DJ_Rhaposdy

Take vampire, for example. This is an iconic trope that has been done a lot. Even people who aren't particularly into fantasy know what it is. We know they're creatures of the night, weak against sunlight, and suck blood to survive. But what if I completely change the essence of it? For example, if my vampire doesn't suck blood but instead consumes other energy source to survive. Heck, what if blood is their weakness? Will you find this strange? Or maybe there's a story that's done this already?
I actually have extradimensional creatures called Ahngreel that are inspired by vampires. They have grey skin, pointed ears, whiteless eyes that glow in the dark, and nailess fingers that end in points. They are technically immortal; they don't age, can be killed, but resurrected as their souls are forever-damned.

Instead of sucking blood, they absorb radiation from their surroundings. And while Ahngreel are extremely adaptable, they hate the sun because it gives off way more radiation than their sunless dimension.

Their blood association comes from their power system, which is 90% blood-based. Even their leader is determined by sentient blood.

Going against established mythos will inevitably cause confusion in your readers and not the good kind. You need a lot of reader goodwill (created through enticing premise or excellent writing) to make them want to suffer through confusion.
I agree with this as well. There are archetypes for a reason, so going against it will cause your readers to at least question the changes. If you can find a way to naturally change established archetypes, then go for it, but it has to be established early or you'll lose readers.

TremendousHuman

Actual reason behind demographic problems
Why call it a vampire. You can probably call this thing that feeds of other sources of energy (like any other living thing) a vampire, but if it makes sense in-story. Like, you start with cliche dracula-esque vampire. Then you introduce other types of vampires and, as the types are introduced you can continue to generalise and change things until your vampire is not anything close to the original but still. Why call it a vampire?

BlackKnightX

I described the process to you. Question stands
Same answer. I wanna see how far I can push with this until it breaks or doesn't work anymore. But your question already answers mine, it seems.
You can push it as far as you want, but don't get offended if someone calls you stupid, or gives you a low rating.
Even if I do something super clever, there'll be some pricks saying that anyway. So, why bother, right, princess?

Jerynboe

I mean everyone agrees that Cthulhu Mythos Fire Vampires became the most iconic and beloved of all mythos creatures. The fact that floating balls of blue fire that absorb the psyches of their victims by burning them alive and integrating them into their own gestalt consciousness have fuckall to do with blood, the undead, or anything else that people associate with vampires is totally fine and not at all pointlessly jarring.
IMO it’s better to play with a monster trope so it’s still distantly recognizable. Bloodsuckers in darkest dungeon are never *called* vampires as far as I can remember, but it’s kinda obvious what they are going for when you see monsters that are an even mix between giant mosquitos and medieval aristocracy.