What do you think about that?

LilRora

Mostly formless
This is so damn true for me. Dunno how I would compare to others, but I had something like this happen so many times it's already hard to count. Although personally I think it's got a lot to do with someone's own mentality. I myself hate expectations on me, so when I tell people I want to do something and they expect me to do that, there's immediately that lamp in my head that turns on and insists I don't just because I don't want to just do what people expect me to do.

Daitengu

Pretty sure I saw this on ASAP Science or PBS science channels some years ago.

Thing is, I don't think the studies take into account just how many times we think about doing something and just not doing it. Then comparing that to the times you tell someone you're going to do something then don't.

I think the science is bias in that we generally forget about many of those thoughts without action.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
I just honestly don't really care about what kind of feedback I get.
Pretty sure I saw this on ASAP Science or PBS science channels some years ago.

Thing is, I don't think the studies take into account just how many times we think about doing something and just not doing it. Then comparing that to the times you tell someone you're going to do something then don't.

I think the science is bias in that we generally forget about many of those thoughts without action.
Indeed, I think it's doubtful that between those two things a strong correlation exist.

DemonOppai

Yandere’s Lover Corpse Collector
People are designed to be competitive and jealous. It’s what drives most people to try and achieve something great. Envying someone is a natural part of our psyche.

So telling someone that your going to try and achieve something great, it will ignite that competitive and most of the time, they will destroy you so that you can’t lose that achievement over them.

It’s better to brag after achieving something than before achieving something. That’s just my two cents

Succubiome

It's good to know what works for you, and it's good to try out different strategies of motivation to learn what works for you!

That said, personally this wouldn't work for me at all-- I'm not going to post on social media at large before I try something at all, but checking in on plausibility of goals and getting advice is extremely useful to me. And very large goals are hard for me, and get even harder if I feel I'm shooting in the dark trying to hit a big goal, rather than making gradual progress and building towards something.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Endeed, it depends on what kind of person you are. Some people really do need a chip on their shoulder to work harder. Some people need to be told by everyone that they won't be able to do it, so they have that fire lit under them. But for others that just makes them feel miserable. I think it's probably a lot to do with a person's life experiences.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I agree. One of my favorite quotes on this is from Kaiki.

Last edited:

J_Chemist

I like to think that no one actually cares in the first place so it's a waste of time.

I also believe that majority of the people around me aren't even worth associating with unless I'm forced to, so I don't like to waste my own time with trying to play along. Sharing personal details and goals beyond what is required in order to get away from them is unnecessary.

Voidiris

I agree. One of my favorite quotes on this is from Kaiki.
I would rather say that emotions dramatize wishes but putting them into words lets more people dramatize it.
I like to think that no one actually cares in the first place so it's a waste of time.

I also believe that majority of the people around me aren't even worth associating with unless I'm forced to, so I don't like to waste my own time with trying to play along. Sharing personal details and goals beyond what is required in order to get away from them is unnecessary.
I think dreams or goals are nothing but entertainment for the mind.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I would rather say that emotions dramatize wishes but putting them into words lets more people dramatize it.
I wouldn't disagree. However, I think there is an additional layer that makes his words true. When it is spoken, that dramatizing from both outsiders and possibly, the speaker, turns those words into lies by the mere falsehood of those dramatizations. It's not as if those dramatizations are impossible but psychologically, most people crumble under the weight of overzealous thinking, setting a bar that seems unobtainable from where they may be in their path toward that dream. Thus, forming an inadvertent lie.

melchi

What is a custom title?
There are lots of ways to trick oneself into accomplishing goals. People are different though so what works for one might not work for someone else.

Voidiris

I wouldn't disagree. However, I think there is an additional layer that makes his words true. When it is spoken, that dramatizing from both outsiders and possibly, the speaker, turns those words into lies by the mere falsehood of those dramatizations. It's not as if those dramatizations are impossible but psychologically, most people crumble under the weight of overzealous thinking, setting a bar that seems unobtainable from where they may be in their path toward that dream. Thus, forming an inadvertent lie.
I would rather say that it's a unrealistic truth because in such a scenario the one that dreams could start believing in a truth that isn't in possible in our reality but that's just a matter of terminology. The same could happen if you see people with the same goal -or you even got inspired in the first place this way- you could create an unrealistic truth.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Well, I have no faith in anyone.

So if ANY OF YOU need someone who will tell you that they don't believe you can achieve anything, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to explain in great detail, even mathematically, exactly how unlikely you are to succeed at anything and why your hopes and dreams are complete nonsense. Why?

Because I'm a people person.

Misanthropes Unite!

Except when we do we hate each other so much we never get anything done, but at least in spirit.

Voidiris

TheEldritchGod is quite based in my opinion and of course I as a professional nihilist could provide support in finding the truth of hope and dreams.

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Well, I have no faith in anyone.

So if ANY OF YOU need someone who will tell you that they don't believe you can achieve anything, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to explain in great detail, even mathematically, exactly how unlikely you are to succeed at anything and why your hopes and dreams are complete nonsense. Why?

Because I'm a people person.

Misanthropes Unite!

Except when we do we hate each other so much we never get anything done, but at least in spirit.
Tell me, then, that I will never reach a 10k word day this month. Much less beat my record of 15k words written in a day in German. Let us see what happens.

HungrySheep

I like yuri
People are designed to be competitive and jealous. It’s what drives most people to try and achieve something great. Envying someone is a natural part of our psyche.

So telling someone that your going to try and achieve something great, it will ignite that competitive and most of the time, they will destroy you so that you can’t lose that achievement over them.

It’s better to brag after achieving something than before achieving something. That’s just my two cents
Honestly just sounds like you need to meet better people.