What is it with “yuri” authors and not using the bisexual protagonist tag

FallingLeaf

Minor thing: In regards to Nanomancer Reborn, it doesn't have GL or BL or Bi tags.
It is only tagged Fantasy Romance Reincarnation System.
So why are you guys mad?
I’ll answer this since I’m in the same opinion as those disgruntled by it, though to a somewhat lesser degree. Obviously spoilers for that series
Basic gist is MC starts story, meets Lyrics and is effectively her first friend. Lots of stuff happens and Lyrica gets a crush on MC, and MC keeps Lyrica arms length because she’s not sure if it’s genuine attraction or being infatuated with the person who saved her-plot develops and it is explicitly confirmed it’s genuine romantic attraction from Lyrica, and MC herself is open to things. They’ve got great chemistry and work well together.

contrast this with Nan Tian-the guy who stalks MC for ages. MC starts the story looking like a 13 year old girl, Nan Tian can tell she isn’t human and literally less than a year old physically (mentally she’s over 300 because of reincarnation stuff), yet he still stalks her and acts like a pushy creeper-he does not respect her boundaries when MC tells him to leave her the hell alone, and then keeps pushing them more and more. Bunch of plot and eventually there’s a sudden reveal of “they were childhood friends in MC’s past life but both forgot about each other!” (Despite knowing each other for only like a week or two before Nan Tian was kidnapped by some lunatic and MC’s past life never saw him again)

Nan Tian is basically added to the main cast at this point, while Lyrica and the rest of MC’s main party get shoved further and further aside, eventually leading to segments where they disappear for literally hundreds of chapters, show up briefly to go “Wow MC is strong!” Before getting shoved into the background again for another 100+ chapters. This repeats several times, and Nan Tian still somehow gets to tag along with MC despite her basically wanting to go on her own to power level, when if it’s just the power level stuff then the rest of MC’s party should go with her as well.

there’s even a “vision of bad future” arc where MC briefly inhabits the body of her future kid, and future MC dances around who her lover was for…reasons, including mentioning that girls could have kids with each other in this setting. Fast forward to chapter 900 or something and suddenly Lyrica is completely shoved to the side and MC is like “yeah, I don’t romantic love her since she could be considered a sort of niece since her mom ended up being my best friend from past life”, said best friend is suddenly killed by random asshat that literally pops up out of nowhere despite MC just winning a hard battle to save the friend, MC is emotionally devastated and needs comfort, and the author has Lyrica bugger off to go elsewhere *yet again* despite having only just showed up again in the story a few chapters prior, while Nan Tian is allowed to stay near MC, and help her recover from this crap. I would have preferred MC x Lyrica, Nan Tian being allowed in for a trio would have been ok too (Nan Tian and Lyrica have a private group chat where they share cute pictures of the MC, so they worked things out between themselves), but I don’t like Lyrica getting thrown out and abandoned after 900 some chapters of developing the relationship between her and MC, and Lyrica getting forced out of the story so many times for so long while Nan Tian got shoved harder and harder into everyone’s faces

that’s about where I stopped reading because I lost interest in the story in general-too many goalposts kept being moving, end of world crap happening and BS things coming out of nowhere specifically to ruin any happiness MC achieved and undo any goals she accomplished, the entire system itself and plot basically being self reinforcing for being destroyed -battle to the death/submission where only one can rule the universe, but the only one who can actually win is the representative/leader of the current “garden” (read-current version of hub world, while past versions start getting folded into the main world after doomsday) yet this information is actively withheld from literally everyone, and MC only finds out because she briefly got admin privileges to see all information unrestricted. If anyone other than that current hub world leader wins, or they take too long to win, the world blows up and everything is ruined. Currently version of the hub world is also explicitly said to be the final chance before it’s a complete and total universal reset with all of creation getting wiped out, even the fragments of past hub worlds. All the diabolus Ex machinas being pulled out of the author’s ass just to ruin anything the MC does just burnt me out-why bother getting attached to anything or cheer for MC when some random asshole is going to pop up in 3 chapters, blow it all up and kill nearly everyone, then disappear so MC can’t get revenge on them

Last edited:

soldieroffortune813

I have similar issues with RR and how they seem to love sticking the "LGBTQ+" descriptor onto their books. Like, that's about two dozen tags rolled into one and it doesn't tell me anything about your book. If the MC is gay, then put it in the description.