What is the biggest mistake a new writer can make?

Tsuru

As the title says, what is the biggest mistake a new writer can make when starting their first story?
1) Forget its 2023, and internet/people are shit
2) Forget its likely to get No comments as 2020ish people comment far less than coomer era 2000~
3) Bad cover/synopsis to hook readers to try VS 195308503503058 novels-mangas-animes-games out there competiting
4) Thinking they can get popularity in a period where entertainment is flooding and even large part is free
4.5) Forgotting they are writing english stuff and competing against 855464565089 JP/KR/CH novels that are likely more attractive to lot readers
5) Thinking they can finish it
6) Writer block
7) Thinking they can appreciation
8) Not using smut, especially for english (web)novel, especially SH novel

9) THINKING THEY CAN TURN IT INTO A FULL TIME JOB (like JP/KR/CH do)

10) NOT STUDYING CURRENT READER MARKET/memes/what is popular.
(ex : 2023 raw xianxia series, now 99% mc are similar to deadpool/kazuma, that they are realistic/smart and know the tropes, compared to 2000ish xianxias full of shitty faceslaps and MCs cant be lowkey)

BlackKnightX

I can only speak for myself: going in without a clear plan. Web novel is a serialized format, which is very different from regular published novels. Unless you write multiple chapters in advance, there's almost no chance for rewriting the story as a whole. To ensure consistency, you should go in with a plan. It doesn't have to be super detailed, just enough to give you a sense of direction.

Redadam04

【Human Savant of True Almighty God】
I can only speak for myself: going in without a clear plan. Web novel is a serialized format, which is very different from regular published novels. Unless you write multiple chapters in advance, there's almost no chance for rewriting the story as a whole. To ensure consistency, you should go in with a plan. It doesn't have to be super detailed, just enough to give you a sense of direction.
Yeah. I like your response.

Benson

As the title says, what is the biggest mistake a new writer can make when starting their first story?
not writing. 'knowing' that your writing is good. Editing until it's perfect, let's be honest, it never is. Not taking advice from others/Taking adivce from other (always be careful of what other people tell you. It isn't necessarily right, even if they word it fancy)

Glenn-Glass

Spending too much time thinking about writing and not just writing. Just write. Reflecting about your writing can happen after you finish the first draft of your first book. This thread itself is just another form of procrastination. Just write. Learning can come later. Don't get bogged down by all the "you must do X". The only thing you have to do is write.

Premier

Not starting at the action.

So many stories start with a prologue before the Isekai or whatever. Don’t, if you’ve got a cool idea in mind just get to it already. You don’t have to spend 30 chapters justifying it.

IshiharaNiaoka

Thinking your idea is unique before you realised 200 more people share a similar idea

Feylin

Thinking you that could handle writing multiple books (im doing that right now T0T)

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
Starting with zero pior experience, they thought its just writing and planting ideas. They didn't expect:

1) memorizing the keyboard
2) proofreading
3) remembering that different plots are happening at the same time
4) It's hard to kill a character

As a DM, 3 and 4 is easy. It is literally my job to remember plotlines and killing characters is what I'm trying to do half of the time.

Kamelingil

Head of Thicc Thighs Supremacy
As a new writer myself, my biggest mistake was expecting the story will be good, didn't bother making the dialogues, lots of plot holes, very fast paced, and confusing change of personalities.

It's such a pain I have to go through all of it again.

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Editing without a grammar checker. That was my mistake, at least. Oh, and high expectations, but the others already mentioned that.

Succubiome

Not writing enough. It's very easy to procrastinate on writing.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much-- you'll make mistakes, you'll find certain topics or kinds of interacting with writing/audience are not for you, etc, etc, but as long as it's a nom de plume unconnected to your "normal" identity, you can jettison your writer identity if it's tying you to things you don't want it to, and your writing skill and knowledge will carry on.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Zamn, you guys got a nice cover. Compared to mine, you guys are pro's.