Writing What is the consensus regarding using indented paragraphs?

Aurelius_Heart

I want to know about the perceptions of the employment of indented paragraphs in web novels. The novels I've seen published online generally use block paragraphs, none of the ones I've encountered have indented paragraphs like in traditionally published books. Is this because block paragraphs are far more visually pleasing when read on a screen? Or is it some other reason?

Moreover, how does an author distinguish between a soft and hard scene change with block paragraphs? From what I've seen in traditional novels, a soft scene change is done by separating the last paragraph of the previous scene and the first paragraph of the new scene with an empty line between them, with the new paragraph not indented; while a hard scene change is done by separating the paragraphs with a dinkus. How does an author distinguish between the two?

LilRora

Mostly formless
In regards to indented paragraphs, I think it's mostly because it can cause ridiculous formatting with short paragraphs on phone screens. They're not an issue in A5 printed books, but become difficult on small screens. Most of them are at most 3 inches or 7~8 centimeters wide, so about half of an A5 page - and that gets even worse when you add the margins.

I'm not sure about the latter. For me, a soft change is when there's a transition that doesn't cut off the ongoing event, or plot point, whatever. A hard scene change would be between two separate events. That's a very general rule though, and it probably won't hold up under scrutiny, especially because the tone of the story and the details of the scenes can change things up significantly.

Last edited:

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
first part... Writing is largely subjective. there are some rules, but it's mostly personal preference. for me, I use block paragraphs with an added line between them (so my paragraphs are double spaced, essentially), but that's because the key strokes are awkward for me to press. "Enter" "Tab". or just "enter" "enter". I've done it so much I don't really even notice it anymore. even when typing in a non-formal way, like here.

as for the second part, I don't really think in terms of hard or soft scene changes. I just write it was I see it. what comes naturally to me. but I will say when I do a scene change (like a time skip. the group walked from A to B, or changing perspectives, or whatever) I do indeed use a dinkus (***).

I did that in one of my novels, and felt it flowed rather well, and have been doing so since. but yeah, In general, I don't think about what's actually right or correct. I write it as I'd like to read it.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Not a fan of indents in web novels. I think it looks bad in the format, even though I read regular books like that. Also, why would you indent on web novels? In traditional books they use it to save page space, but you don't need to do that.

quagma

subatomic cephalopod
in web novels, it screws with the readablity, especially since paragraphs get so well delineated on mobile and computer screens. that big ol' gap of empty space.
we indent in the google doc, because it makes THAT much more readable. when it's transferred over to SH or Royal Road, those sites usually auto-format it and remove the indents.
they also have trouble with strike-throughs and paragraph formatting when copying over, but maybe that's just our machine.​
anyways, greatly prefer when tabs aren't used in the web novel. regular books, love it, need it. Web novels? no thank you.

greyliliy

Indents for paragraphs don't work well on small screens. Those are more for printed books or ebooks on a handheld reader.

I use linebreaks between scenes to distinguish separation.

DannyTheDaikon

| Azure tamer | Harbinger of chaos and soup
As much as I hate it, block paragraphs just work better on mobile and/or digital in general. Idents work on paper and if you can use e-book reader or at least a tablet.