What is your definition of orthodox, unorthodox and demonic sects in Chinese martial arts novels?

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
So in martial arts or cultivation novels using Ancient/medieval Chinese setting, there is these alliances of sects like righteous/orthodox sects, evil/unorthodox sects, and demon cult/ demon sects.

What is your way of distinguishing each of these categories?

"It can be, however, the author wants" defeats the purpose of this thread so such responses will be rejected.

Last edited:

SailusGebel

Without subversion of tropes righteous/orthodox sects are good, evil/unorthodox sects are bad, demon cult/ demon sects the baddest. In fact, demon cult/ demon sects are so bad, that righteous/orthodox sects and evil/unorthodox sects can unite to defeat them.

Tempokai

Overworked One
The orthodox is typically "balance and harmony with nature", akin to taoism but rarely followed
Unorthodox is "I am one, and I defy nature", leading to them being focused on themselves like xianxia protagonists out there
Demonic is "against the heavens and nature, we are heaven", type of shit and that's why they're all demonic and stuff, wanting to conquer the world or whatever else

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
They're all gangs. The 'good' martial sects are gangs with good publicity. They commit the same horrible crimes, smug with righteous virtue.

fluffypie374

Oh... I wasn't even clear on the different between these. Didn't even know unorthodox was a separate class, yet I wrote a xianxia cultivation novel... welp, R.I.P. :blobspearpeek:

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Orthodox are like the government. They run by rules and formalities and are supposed to keep everyone safe. They are prone to corruption.

Unorthodox sects are like corporations. They are in it for self interest, but don’t oppose cooperation and will keep their own people safe. They know not to go too far.

Demonic sects are like anarchists or terrorists, the rules are made by the strong and things are very chaotic. Leaders will do whatever they want and have their own morals. Some demonic sects are actually not evil.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Orthodox is the right way which preserved proper teachings

Unorthodox broke off and now teach their own version of certain events but aren't necessarily evil

Demonic sects purposely pervert teachings to benefit themselves

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
So in martial arts or cultivation novels using Ancient/medieval Chinese setting, there is these alliances of sects like righteous/orthodox sects, evil/unorthodox sects, and demon cult/ demon sects.

What is your way of distinguishing each of these categories?

"It can be, however, the author wants" defeats the purpose of this thread so such responses will be rejected.
By their own cultivation technique.

The righteous/orthodox one are the general cultivation technique, where you use your hardwork to grow stronger.

The evil/unorthodox one are the cultivation technique that require some kind of evil deeds (depend of the story), generally these type of sects use double cultivation technique with a weak partner to steal their energy, these double cultivation technique require generaly sex, a lot of people sell the girl/woman of their family to these dude or the girl even go by themself to gain some gold. There also some type of technique using ghost/soul and like Sailus said these sects are evil but not the most evil ones.

The demon sects cultivatipon technique drift from the "normal" ones, since instead of using the qi/energy/essence used by any humans, they use demon qi, often coming from a demon corpse that they found or a demon artefact. Their cultivation technique require often the sacrifice of live to grant them power making them the big bad guys in those stories and since they grow stronger faster, to maintain them, the righteous/orthodox and evil/unorthodox have to unite to go against them.

AYM

Average cilantro enjoyer
Orthodox represents the well-trodden path of cultivating immortality. Followers of the Orthodox Way are expected to uphold the tenets of proper daoist cultivation and act honorably.

Unorthodox represents the more obscure or less validated methods of pursuing immortality. This includes using certain "shortcuts" or strange methods that may not align with the orthodox path in some form.

Demonic represents the greatest evil of the unorthodox. These cultivators will pursue power above all else, can't recognize Mt. Tai, and like the pathetic shits they are, typically become insane from qi deviation and heart demons which means a Sect Elder is going to post ANOTHER notice that an insane loose cultivator is burning down the Great Verdant Spirit Grove for the FIFTH TIME, THIS YEAR, AND YOU KNOW WHO HAS TO CLEAN UP THEIR MESS? I DO. YOU THINK I MAGICALLY SHIT OUT ALL MY FORMATION MATERIALS NO I HAVE TO FORAGE FOR THE RARE RESOURCES AND NONE OF THEM HAVE ANY IDEA HOW PAINFUL IT WAS TO RAISE THAT SAPLING

stryke105

Orthodox is meditation and sword techniques

Unorthodox is Orthodox but you sometimes stab people with a poisoned dagger or two

Demonic is just sacrificing people for power