Writing What questions did you ask yourselves when you started writing?

KyoruS

Is writing even worth it?

The question still haunts me to this day, even more so as my story is gradually losing in popularity. At first I write mostly because I want to train myself in articulating my thoughts and one of my best friends (who once in a while also becomes my editor) says one of the best way in doing so is by writing. There's also the fact that I'm bored out of my mind at the start of covid and wished for a new hobby; the multitude of generic isekai stories that once fuels me in my boredom starts to turn very stale due to its very predictable and cliched nature.

It’s no surprise that my story takes a familiar, but at the same time, a different take on the genre riddled with reader-insert and wish fulfillment.

Money is also the motivation albeit not a prime one and only consider it as a potential side-income, as I don't want to write full-time and I have other money-generating passion in mind that takes huge chunk of time.

So, is writing even worth it? Honestly I don't know, that's why the question haunts me to this day. Writing is both a suffering and a curse, said by one of the famed authors who's skill I might not be able to reach in my lifetime. And I agree with what he said. If it weren't for the damn few readers who still comments and eagerly anticipating my stories, I would've quit long time ago and finally be in peace.

But I don't. I might not be posting consistently but dear god do I think of my story every single moment. Even as I cruise through my day to day hectic life there will always be time in between where my mind comes up with a peculiar event or perhaps an interesting piece of dialogue for the story. Forcing me stop whatever I’m doing and quickly write it down in my note app that is now take ages to scroll down full of ideas. Further encouraging me to write and continue my story. A bloody curse.

One thing for sure, I write because of the untapped potential in my ideas that I want to bring to life. Or should I say forced… Whether it’s worth it or not will always be the question that haunts me everyday

Sorry if this sounds like a rant. I do still appreciate and thank you all for taking the time to read my rant. Oh and happy new year everybody!

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Is writing even worth it?

The question still haunts me to this day, even more so as my story is gradually losing in popularity. At first I write mostly because I want to train myself in articulating my thoughts and one of my best friends (who once in a while also becomes my editor) says one of the best way in doing so is by writing. There's also the fact that I'm bored out of my mind at the start of covid and wished for a new hobby; the multitude of generic isekai stories that once fuels me in my boredom starts to turn very stale due to its very predictable and cliched nature.

It’s no surprise that my story takes a familiar, but at the same time, a different take on the genre riddled with reader-insert and wish fulfillment.

Money is also the motivation albeit not a prime one and only consider it as a potential side-income, as I don't want to write full-time and I have other money-generating passion in mind that takes huge chunk of time.

So, is writing even worth it? Honestly I don't know, that's why the question haunts me to this day. Writing is both a suffering and a curse, said by one of the famed authors who's skill I might not be able to reach in my lifetime. And I agree with what he said. If it weren't for the damn few readers who still comments and eagerly anticipating my stories, I would've quit long time ago and finally be in peace.

But I don't. I might not be posting consistently but dear god do I think of my story every single moment. Even as I cruise through my day to day hectic life there will always be time in between where my mind comes up with a peculiar event or perhaps an interesting piece of dialogue for the story. Forcing me stop whatever I’m doing and quickly write it down in my note app that is now take ages to scroll down full of ideas. Further encouraging me to write and continue my story. A bloody curse.

One thing for sure, I write because of the untapped potential in my ideas that I want to bring to life. Or should I say forced… Whether it’s worth it or not will always be the question that haunts me everyday

Sorry if this sounds like a rant. I do still appreciate and thank you all for taking the time to read my rant. Oh and happy new year everybody!
Poor Kyoru

How is your writing faring besides the usual self doubt?

KyoruS

Poor Kyoru

How is your writing faring besides the usual self doubt?
Bruh, I didn’t know you lurk around here. :sweating_profusely:

Well same old same old. I haven’t been posting for the last week because I’ve been busy with family. Still trying to consistently write and improve it. And who knows… Maybe I can make a comeback happen.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I wrote and published a prologue on a whim as a way to say "Hey! Imma do this. I can and I will!"

And now I realized there are ideas that keep jumping through my head but I HAVE NO CLUE how to get the story actually going. So I want to ask you all:

- How do you decide the way your story unfold?
- What questions do you ask yourselves about the story? Or about anything related to writing?
i thought, " i can make a story more entertaining than this" so I did and regardless of what anyone else thinks, most people like my stories even if I don't update several of them enough to actually gain popularity.

It's more for vanity than anything, i suppose

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Bruh, I didn’t know you lurk around here. :sweating_profusely:

Well same old same old. I haven’t been posting for the last week because I’ve been busy with family. Still trying to consistently write and improve it. And who knows… Maybe I can make a comeback happen.
Keep at it and something will come from it.

If you have no other idea, you could go over chapters with your editors and let them them explain what they'd done differently and why.
Then try to apply those you find reasonable.

skillet

a frying pan
When I begin writing a new story, I usually already have a list of scenes I want to write, and then the question becomes "How do I write everything else so I can actually write these scenes in?"

I also usually have an ending I have in mind, so then the rest of it just becomes "How can the characters realistically get there? In order for this to happen, what needs to happen before it/after it?" It's also a lot of process of elimination of what I don't want happening in my story, too.

The above is for when I'm planning. While actually writing, I usually just keep feeling out for what the individual characters feel and how they would personally react. (I've had to revamp my extensive plans like three times because the characters refused to act the way I planned them to act, and I need to do so again now. Haha. :sweating_profusely:)